Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rack Server Build :)

Options
  • 12-02-2007 4:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

I'm looking in to putting together some rack servers for a mate and it's unchartered waters to me.. Having never even looked at one but have always built my own PC's so i'm guessing there isn't much to it (anyone who wants to correct me please do as i'll take all the advice going).
    Anyway it's as cheap as possible and it is for storage so i'm guessing a few hard drive bays will be needed. Would or should i consider a 4U or 2U case?
    What PSU is suitable?
    Anywhere that sells this stuff second hand, there must be tons of it about?

I'm hoping to find or be pointed in the direction of second hand stuff but i'll obviously quote for new hard drives. So what advice and what should i be looking out for guys? Your help and pointers would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ebay has loads of stuff.. Is he looking for RAID? I do not mean IDE style i mean proper SCSI RAID 5 type systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

It would be as many large hard drives as can be crammed in to the box so i'm guessing SATA drives with controller card. I had come across a 2U case that had something like 7 drive bays so i'm hoping to pick up something along those lines. I had though that with all these datacenters around the place surely thew market would be flooded with this gear second hand but i'm not having too much luck so far..

Advertisement