Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave slow torrents??

Options
  • 12-02-2007 6:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Everything downloads at fine speeds, except for Torrents which are awkwardly slow... what's going on with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave is just a kind of Wireless ISDN replacement. I wouldn't expect it to be very fast. This is why it is very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

watty wrote:
    Ripwave is just a kind of Wireless ISDN replacement. I wouldn't expect it to be very fast. This is why it is very cheap.

Yes, but I get good speeds downloading from servers, why not with P2P?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scsa

I've got Ripwave too, and a green light for reception thanks to living on the 3rd floor of an apartment block. I use utorrent with encryption and random ports and UPnP port forwarding. Torrents come down at about 5k/s, compared to sometimes 50k/s a year ago on Ripwave.

Downloading from HEAnet over HTTP gets me 5k/s too though, and pages take forever to load, so it's not just torrents. It's just IBB overselling their "broadband in a box". Contention must be ridiculous for the Ripwave masts at this point.

Just have to start looking into other BB options I think. Not looking forward to paying line rental on a phone I'll never use. :/

Advertisement