Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready to start CCNP

Options
  • 12-02-2007 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all. I have very recently passed my CCNA exam and wish to start on my CCNP immediately. I am working in a telecoms group in a bank headquarters in Dublin so getting the experience to run alongside it is no problem.
    I have been looking over the cisco website and it mentions these modules:

642-901 BSCI Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI)
    642-812 BCMSN Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN)
    642-825 ISCW Implementing Secure Converged Wide Area Networks (ISCW)
    642-845 ONT Optimizing Converged Cisco Networks (ONT)

However after reading over some of the old threads on boards i see people mentioning other modules like Remote Access and a couple of others of which i can find no mention of on the Cisco site.

Can anybody tell me are the above all i need to pass the CCNP or is there others needed too. Advice would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Edit: Just thought id mention i will problady go for the CCSP after the CCNP (hopefully) as maybe someday i will make an attempt at the Security part of the CCIE so am i on the right track?

And one more question, can anybody recommend a good upto date book for the first module of the CCNP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

The exams you have highlighted are the new CCNP as of Jan 01,2007

BCRAN etc... were retired.

Only 5 exams for the CCNP , or 4 if you take the composite route.

Do not know the compatibility of CCNP / CCSP , .I.E what exams work for both, but if you have hands on access , you are half way there ....

Best of luck, keep us updated with your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

Nice one Celt thats very informative. Thanks for the help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

celt2005 wrote:
    Only 5 exams for the CCNP , or 4 if you take the composite route.

4 individual exams or 3 if you choose the composite.

Make sure any material you purchase or are reading is the newer syllabus... new items off the top of my head for the Routing (BSCI) exam are IPv6 (the old exam just had very basic IPv6 questions), Multicasting, Routing protocol authentication and DHCP.

I took the old BSCI just before christmas (failed by 1/3rd of a question, boo)... like the CCNA, time is your main problem: 60 questions in 90 minutes.

If you're going to do the CCSP, then I'd do that first (if security is your main thing)... as after that the security topics on the CCNP will seem trivial... theres very little crossover of topics in the opposite direction. I suppose it depends on what sort of kit you have access to, if you have a lot of L3 routers/switchs then CCNP, PIX/ASAs then CCSP.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

I was talking from CCNA to CCNP ( 5 exams) , my mistake.

Checked WWW.BOOKPOOL.COM last night for newer sylabus books, but no joy, would recomend you do original exams that are still valid first, and wait for a few new versions to come out.

As for best books, read reviews from AMAZON,BOOKPOOL etc ....

My experience of Cisco Press is they are not very good, avoid if possible.

You can find new PDFs on {snip}.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No linking to torrent sites, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

cheeky_guy how are you gettins on with the CCSP?

Advertisement