Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need additional loft insulation - is rockwool suitable?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I need to top up a few patches of loft insulation and the smallest roll of fibreglass quilt at the builders' merchants is 11 sq.m which is too much. What they do have is rockwool which is 5 sq metres. Does this have the same insulation properties as fibreglass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

As far as I know Rockwool is more for sound proofing,don't think it's thermal qualities is great but I could be wrong.Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

100mm of Rockwool holds onto heat for much longer than 100mm of fibreglass because it is denser and heavier. A m3 of fibreglass is 20kg/m3 but a m3 of rockwool is over 35kgs so it lets the heat through at a much slower rate.
    The best method to measure heat loss would be U-value multiplied by time. There is no such measurement available so we have to use a combination of density and U-value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I bought the rock wool as I only needed to patch a few areas and it came in the smallest size - 5 sq.m @ €22 against 11sq.m @ €32 for fibreglass. I've patched the areas and there's just a varaition in colour but I'm boarding over it anyway.

Advertisement