Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance Reimbursed???

Options
  • 12-02-2007 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of advice.
    Lasy year i had to renew my insurance on my car in april. the cost was about 700 if i remember. I had 1 years no claim on my own policy with Quinn Direct. I am 25 now. However in June I passed my Driving Test. I was recently informed that I could claim some of my insurance back. Has anyone ever done this or know anything about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. ring your insurance company
    2. tell them that you passed your test

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

You are entitled to some money back but.... last year I changed my policy from Quinn Direct to Hibernian because I had passed their pre test thing and saved €150 on my insurance. This was in March of last year and at the end of March I psassed my driving test and got my full licence. I rang to infrom them and they said that I was entitled to a rebate but would have to wait until this year to claim it... I dont know why and they wouldn't give me any more information!

You should push for money back.. I left mine go and Im now positive that I will not get anything!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You may not be entitled to money back - don't make that assumption. They could claim that young males are the same risk with or without a full licence.
    Just don't assume anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Direct insurers usually do give refunds if you inform them of passing your driving test. This is calculated on a pro rata basis, meaning that the further the change of licence is to the end of your policy year, the higher your refund (and vice versa). As far as I'm aware this can be backdated, as long as the change of licence is in the current policy year. The refund is usually subject to a charge, but I'd imagine in your case the refund will considerably outweigh this charge.

In simple terms, just ring them and inform that you’ve received your full licence, quoting the actual date of issue, and ask if you’re entitled to a refund. You’ve nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I changed my car (from a 95 Sunny to a 99 Corolla) and got a 600quid refund!

Have my test on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get a bit more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement