Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double to Triple

Options
  • 12-02-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys,
    I've decided to wimp out and give my legs a treat. I'm thinking of changing my set up from a double to a triple. Before I get this done, does anyone know how much effort is involved? Besides a smaller chain ring, do I need to get any other bits and pieces for this job?

thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Don't do it!

Well, if you really want to go ahead...

You'll need a new crankset (assuming your current one doesn't have anywhere to bolt on a granny ring)
    You may need a new front gear shifter depending on whether it can accommodate a triple.
    You may need a new rear mech since it will have to take up more slack using the granny ring.

What components are you currently using?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hi Morgan
    I'm not going do it myself, gonna bring it in to the shop, as I am sure I would screw it up. :)

Currently using Shimano 105.

Maybe I'll drop into the shop and ask them what would need to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Cranksets here - Don't forget to get either square taper or splined, whatever suits your current B/B, or order a new B/B too:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=577&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

Rear mechs here - Short cage will be fine if your rear cassette is a proper close ratio setup:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=661&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

Chances are that your front shifter will handle a triple shift - I think most do it by default.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you find yourself having to swap out too many parts, you could also consider a compact chainset. You can get either 50/36 or 50/34 rings, which is a nice compromise between the full double and a triple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Chances are that your front shifter will handle a triple shift - I think most do it by default.

After much cursing (hours of it, I believe), a friend of mine, assembling a road bike from scratch, eventually discovered that the front mech, recommended by the shop as suitable for triples, turned out to be nothing of the sort!
    Parts numbers may have changed since, but at the time the Ultegra Double mech was FD6500 and the Triple was FD6503. Similarly the 105 Double was FD5500 and the Triple was 5503........ actually, I've just checked Shimanos website and the numbers are much the same as before - 6603 instead of 6503 etc. - the crucial thing being the number three on the end denoting triple compatabllity. Something else worth mentioning is the addition by Shimano of a Dura Ace triple crankset to their catalogue although I shudder to think what that might set you back!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement