Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Nights - Are they getting worse?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 11:48am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading the Luas thread and as for another public display of crass-ness and vugarity that is becoming ever popular it seems, here's my story.

I've been going out in dublin for a fair few years now and last sat night i saw the most disgusting behaviour ever. I was in Abra on Westmorland St, (after coming from a violent Whelans but thats another story) and a brawl erupts, pretty standard affair seen plenty of them,

Two guts beating the heads off each other... Then enter a third to try and break things up, he gets thrown out of the way pretty smartly by a friend of one of the original two. Next a girl goes over (either a friend of the guy gettin a kickin or the peacemaker) and gets punched full force in the face by this guy. Happened in a blink of an eye as they say.

I asked a guy standing next to me if he saw what happened but he said he didn't. The girl was unconscious (or very close to it) lying on the ground for a few mins. After she stands up her nose is ****ed. pouring blood.

Eventually the bouncers manage to get the 3 ****ers outside and in fairness there was 2 police officers there immediatly and they were holding the 3.

No idea if they were arrested as i had to run for a bus. I did tell them what i saw as anyone who could walk away after seeing that would have been just as bad...

So is it getting worse or have i just been lucky?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Tip: Dont go into Abrakebabra on Westmoreland St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

maybe the answer can be found on the Dublin board

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Tip: Don't get involved in other peoples fights. I'm talking about the 3rd guy entering the fight. That's just stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Few knights at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know about Dublin but Galway nights are pretty much the same as usual, mind I try to stay away from Supermacs at 3am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

CiaranC wrote:

Ha ha......:D So True, even if you are really hungry.........

Also thought the 3rd party bloke was a bit stupid to get involved, the 2 blokes fighing each other could have easily turned on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

lordgoat wrote:
    I was reading the Luas thread and as for another public display of crass-ness and vugarity that is becoming ever popular it seems, here's my story.

I've been going out in dublin for a fair few years now and last sat night i saw the most disgusting behaviour ever. I was in Abra on Westmorland St, (after coming from a violent Whelans but thats another story) and a brawl erupts, pretty standard affair seen plenty of them,

Two guts beating the heads off each other... Then enter a third to try and break things up, he gets thrown out of the way pretty smartly by a friend of one of the original two. Next a girl goes over (either a friend of the guy gettin a kickin or the peacemaker) and gets punched full force in the face by this guy. Happened in a blink of an eye as they say.

I asked a guy standing next to me if he saw what happened but he said he didn't. The girl was unconscious (or very close to it) lying on the ground for a few mins. After she stands up her nose is ****ed. pouring blood.

Eventually the bouncers manage to get the 3 ****ers outside and in fairness there was 2 police officers there immediatly and they were holding the 3.

No idea if they were arrested as i had to run for a bus. I did tell them what i saw as anyone who could walk away after seeing that would have been just as bad...

So is it getting worse or have i just been lucky?
    Did you stand there spectating when the girl got knocked out? I agree, don't get involved in other peoples ****. But there's a line, and if it's crossed i don't just stand there enjoying the moment.

A friend of mine was in town with her friends(females) a few months back, there was some kind of alteration and one of the girls (innocent) got a dig in the face by some random guy.. This was in the middle of town on a busy street... Did anyone do anything? Not a ****ing hope. Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

biko wrote:
    I don't know about Dublin but Galway nights are pretty much the same as usual, mind I try to stay away from Supermacs at 3am

supermacs isnt as bad as they make out in fairness. Either I've missed all the brawls or they never happen, but the last one I saw was outside about a month ago and was more a scuffle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I was thinking the very same thing today.

Was in Rico's on South Richmond Street last night when the owner (sound fella) was attacked for refusing so serve some lunatic abusive guy from the North. Yer man throws several punches at the owner as the two of them pile out the door followed by some regulars that are getting involved while trying to break it up.

Thankfully a branch car arrived as they were rolling around on the road and arrested the guy.

Unreal :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I haven't seen that many fights in town recently. I've been living in the city centre for 3 years, and go out most Friday and Saturdays.

Funnily enough though, the last fight I did see was outside Abrakababra on Westmoreland Street. A bunch of Dublin fans were knocking seven shades of shi*e out of eachother. A few girls involved then too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

CiaranC wrote:

Is the food less desirable then it's customers? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm hearing a lot more horror stories alright.
    It used to be just 'friends of friends' that got jumped on, but nearly everyone I know (myself included) has their own story (or stories) of random unprovoked attacks.
    As always, drink and drugs are to blame. That, and the general lack of respect some people have for their fellow human beings. It really is shocking some of the stuff you hear about. It's put me off going into Dublin many times, and I try and avoid Sat night now at all. Friday nights just seem a better night for some reason.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pretty crappy alright, but no different from what it has always been like, when abra was on the corner it was known as stab corner and its been moved a fair while. would never go near that place on a saturday night. Have to say though most country towns are as rough if not rougher than dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Gotten better in the last few years imo. Seeing less brawls, more just scuffles these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rb_ie wrote:
    Gotten better in the last few years imo. Seeing less brawls, more just scuffles these days.

I think the opposite. That fight i saw has really horrific, the lack of common deceny was/is appalling and it more apparant now than i've witnessed in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Allegedly its the drugs- all the young ones can take drugs now. Thats what the taxi driver tells me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

damn that is a retarded post. Its the drugs is it? Not the people taking them perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

*whoosh* and the sarcasm goes over Jocksy's head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Sarcasm? I dont know the guy. I just see text in front of me and a retarded opinion thats about right for boards user.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote:
    I think the opposite. That fight i saw has really horrific, the lack of common deceny was/is appalling and it more apparant now than i've witnessed in the past.
    Well, I should probably elaborate a little more.

What I mean is that I'm seeing less full punch ups on the streets, more often its just a little pushing. However, really violent fights do still happen, and quite frequently (but not as frequently as in the past, imo), in fact, they're probably more violent than ever. Scum are carrying more weapons than ever and they'll use whatever they can find as a weapon also, be it a brick, empty bottle etc. which has lead to more gruesome fights on our streets. I won't deny that these do happen, they surely do, but from my observations there seems to be less "scraps" these days.

Perhaps its just because I'm older now, go out with older people into older crowds, whereas back in my younger days, you'd see young guys (16-18) kicking lumps out of eachother each and every night of the week outside Redbox, Bondi Beach Club etc.

CiaranC wrote:
    *whoosh* and the sarcasm goes over Jocksy's head
    Aye, it seems our Jocksy's level of intelligence is somewhat similar to that of a peanut.

Advertisement