Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data charges...rip off

• 12-02-2007 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got a k800i recently and was playing around with some applications on it. Downloaded google maps for phones for the craic, zoomed in on dublin, all well and good.. very cool application. Was connected for maybe 1 minute. Checked my balance...it had cost me around 10 f&*ing euro to zoom in on the map for maybe 30 seconds. What a f*cking rip off. Downloaded a few games also, and gmail for mobile phones. Cost me around 20 euro.
    Am on meteor pay as you go, I believe O2 is even DEARER for data.
    And they wonder why people dont use gprs/data on phones...Shower of cowboys. Does anyone agree? Any chance of serious reductions on these prices shortly? Typical ireland. Money grabbing cnuts :rolleyes:
    /end rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Well, that's the way it is... But stay away from meteor wap gprs, it's 2c per kb so not wonder Google Maps gave you a €10 bill.. It's sad... Call meteor and ask them to activate ISP GPRS for you - for that you pay around 1/4 of the meteor wap gprs fee, or 0.48c per kb. Tell them you want to use the phone as a modem, when you call customer care, otherwise they won't know what you're on about ;) When they activated that for you, change the access point from wap.mymeteor.ie to isp.mymeteor.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,376 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

seems to be a common complaint, and totally agree about the excessive data rates. Data used to be cheaper over the wap/dialup data service if the data being transfered was continuous. Very little improvement in mobile data services in the last few years for the average user

related threads(edit:wrong link)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049438
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055039874

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It's a pity no Irish networks offer data bundles on prepaid yet, at least not that I am aware of (correct me if I'm wrong). E.g. pay €20 and you get 200MB that you must use up within 30 days. I've seen prepaid addons like that overseas quite a bit. In Italy, WIND even do 5GB for €30, though I'm not asking for anything like that here (if you need that much, you might as well get a contract IMHO).

Anyhow, what about it? I'm sure people paying €20 to use Google Maps would be more profitable than customers using it once, and deciding it's too expensive, and spending zero from that point onwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

Damn right, I wont be doing any web browsing/RSS reading/ app&game downloading with this phone anymore. Pity, because the RSS reader was a nice feature on it.
    May as well buy a nokia 1100 as a k800i in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MattE

go on bill! vodafone offered me a trial of 20mb data usage, was supposed 2 only last a month, almost a yr later im stil enjoying a full 20mb each month, without payin a penny 4 it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

MattE wrote:
    go on bill! vodafone offered me a trial of 20mb data usage, was supposed 2 only last a month, almost a yr later im stil enjoying a full 20mb each month, without payin a penny 4 it!
    jammy git!

im with o2 billpay and have 25mb addon for 20 im using a k800i aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

flodis79 wrote:
    Well, that's the way it is... But stay away from meteor wap gprs, it's 2c per kb so not wonder Google Maps gave you a €10 bill.. It's sad... Call meteor and ask them to activate ISP GPRS for you - for that you pay around 1/4 of the meteor wap gprs fee, or 0.48c per kb. Tell them you want to use the phone as a modem, when you call customer care, otherwise they won't know what you're on about ;) When they activated that for you, change the access point from wap.mymeteor.ie to isp.mymeteor.ie

i have a question now! i'm currently using Meteor WAPGPRS. i checked online, and it looks like i'm being charged at 1 cent per kb. (i took the total amount charged for gprswap and devided it with the figure from my phone's data counter.) must be the 512kb for 5EUR bundle so?
    of course, if ISP GPRS is even cheaper, half cent per kb as you suggest, then that's even better!
    ps - is there a difference, whether i 'allow calls' Automatic of GPRS only? if i have Automatic activated, will they automatically switch me to expensive WAP every now and then?
    and - say i have to download something BIG, would it then be cheaper to switch over to dial-up WAP? so as to be charged for the duration only? or will they charge for data anyhow, on top of the minutes?

oh and one more thing - is there a way to get data calls included in my monthly minutes plan? :D

electron wrote:
    i have a question now! i'm currently using Meteor WAPGPRS. i checked online, and it looks like i'm being charged at 1 cent per kb. (i took the total amount charged for gprswap and devided it with the figure from my phone's data counter.) must be the 512kb for 5EUR bundle so?
    of course, if ISP GPRS is even cheaper, half cent per kb as you suggest, then that's even better!
    ps - is there a difference, whether i 'allow calls' Automatic of GPRS only? if i have Automatic activated, will they automatically switch me to expensive WAP every now and then?
    and - say i have to download something BIG, would it then be cheaper to switch over to dial-up WAP? so as to be charged for the duration only? or will they charge for data anyhow, on top of the minutes?

oh and one more thing - is there a way to get data calls included in my monthly minutes plan? :D

It's strange if you get charged 1c per kb, should be either 2c on wap or 0.048 on isp. Well, circuit switched wap can be an idea if you plan to download larger things, but I think the per minute rate for CSD wap calls are like 20c per minute or something, which means you have to download in the range of 50kb per minute for this alternative to be cheaper. With CSD, no, they will not charge for data on the top of the minutes.

I'm not sure what you mean by the automatic gprs option. Could you pls clarify?

Ok that's good to know that csd can be cheaper. by automatic i meant that when i edit a data account, there's a section called 'allow calls' where i can choose between automatic or gprs only. anyway, just called customer care to have isp set up and they said they'd set it up for me but i sure can't connect with this profile from my phone :( They told me it could only be used to connect a pc. that i HAVE to use wap gprs to access the internet on my phone. is this true?

That is not true, sounds like it isn't activated yet.

• Advertisement

Just a thought, but perhaps what he/she meant is that you cannot use the ISP settings to access Meteor's own WAP portal. That is true.

no, actually i tried to connect using opera mini. but after reading your posts i tried once more and ran opera network setup from opera settings and now it works :)
    what browser do you guys use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

opera mini..best there is,fast,low data..perfect!

damo86 wrote:
    opera mini..best there is,fast,low data..perfect!
    I can only agree. And it will work both over tcp/ip and wap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yaboyya

Did you hear that Meteor has come out recently with reduced data pricing for their bill pay customers - see http://www.meteor.ie/billpay_dataaddons.html. Starts at €10 for 15MB's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

yaboyya wrote:
    Did you hear that Meteor has come out recently with reduced data pricing for their bill pay customers - see http://www.meteor.ie/billpay_dataaddons.html. Starts at €10 for 15MB's!

Let me see, 15Mb for €10 or 10Gig for €20 with 3, which is better?

You do realise this thread is almost five months old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

tom dunne wrote:
    Let me see, 15Mb for €10 or 10Gig for €20 with 3, which is better?

You do realise this thread is almost five months old?

You contributed nothing to this discussion. Please refrain from posting.

Which is better, €20 for 10Gigs with 3, or €10 for 15Mb with Meteor when I'm 40% through a contract, with all my family, and most of my friends, on Meteor?

(this is a rhetorical question)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

alantc wrote:

Which is better, €20 for 10Gigs with 3, or €10 for 15Mb with Meteor when I'm 40% through a contract, with all my family, and most of my friends, on Meteor?

yes sir mr. mod. he mentioned an offer which is vastly superior to meteor's and which is broadband alone, ie there are no calls and texts involved so it wouldn't affect your meteor contract. its pretty useful information imo

alantc wrote:

Oh I do apologise, I promise I won't post here ever again.

alantc wrote:

Ah you call that a relevant contribution? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

yes sir mr. mod. he mentioned an offer which is vastly superior to meteor's and which is broadband alone, ie there are no calls and texts involved so it wouldn't affect your meteor contract. its pretty useful information imo

Think of how nice these boards might be if contentless posts were banned.

It wasn't the offer he mentioned, or how useful it could be in the right context, but his tone in reply to a poster who was obviously trying to help. What you added makes quite a bit of difference to how useful the information is.
    tom dunne wrote:
    Ah you call that a relevant contribution? :D

I trying to show you how the poster above was providing useful information. Even now that I know the 3 offer is available alone, I still want data on my handset for browsing the web on my phone, and for the convenience of carrying fewer devices. I'm not trying to argue the maths of the different offers but you weren't even trying to help. PostCount++;

• Advertisement

alantc wrote:
    I trying to show you how the poster above was providing useful information.

Oh, why thank you. I am forever indebted to you.
    alantc wrote:
    Think of how nice these boards might be if contentless posts were banned.

More rhetoric or inadvertent self reference?

Advertisement