Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford goes to 9mbits entry level broadband, just like Dungarvan

Options
  • 12-02-2007 12:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Longford now has the same fast Cable modem service as the long term leader of the pack, Dungarvan which has had 9mbits as standard since 2004 .

9mbits/.65mbit as standard for €39.90 a month. Not 3 bad .

Makes our big cities look quite primitive as always :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

This has been around for at least a year, I saw something about it here some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

paulm17781 wrote:
    This has been around for at least a year, I saw something about it here some time ago.
    It only recently went to 9mbit. It started off at 6mbit afair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was not 9mbits quite recently (late last year IIRC) .

They must be anticipating eircom upgrades unlike the rest of us .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Ok. Great and all to hear that they've gone from 6Mbit to 9Mbit, but lets see this for real!,
    If theirs any Longford users hear, can you please do some speed test, we'd like to see this speed in practice, because for such high speed to be made available regardless of the technology is still very expensive as far as backhaul costs. So lets see screenshots of downloads from i.e irishisptest.com, speedtest.ie, and ftp.heanet.ie(possibly the fastest source)

Then we can make our conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They must be anticipating eircom upgrades unlike the rest of us .
    Anticipating them by about 3 years :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was almost certain that both Longford and Waterford had 9Mbits. I must have dreamed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

9meg with no download limit for the same price as my 6meg NTL with a 40gig cap - not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

FFS!!!! is that availible in waterford city??? If it was Id get that at the drop of a hat. im currently on NTL 6 MB and the contract is up in a few weeks!!

FFS!!!! is that availible in waterford city??? If it was Id get that at the drop of a hat. im currently on NTL 6 MB and the contract is up in a few weeks!!

Only Dungarvan I think.

Yeah I think your right. which is a pitty, if that was availible in waterford id deffinatly jump shipthe customer service and everything sounds really good!! The will host a website for you, or give you a static Ip so you can host your own,man that is good service!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

check this post date and the image on the post to give u an idea how long us boggers have it and what kind of speeds we get :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51819689&postcount=6

based in longford btw

Hmm that looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iKitten

I think the real question is, what makes Dungarvan so special?

Seriously, if a small town that nobody cares about can get significantly faster broadband than many urban areas, broadband in this country has a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

iKitten wrote:
    I think the real question is, what makes Dungarvan so special?

Next year , in June 2008 to be precise, Dungarvan will have had broadband for 10 years , unlike primitive D4 for example. Its special like Longford because the infrastructure is locally owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Next year , in June 2008 to be precise, Dungarvan will have had broadband for 10 years , unlike primitive D4 for example. Its special like Longford because the infrastructure is locally owned.

The only way forward to get broadband locally deployed widespread is to invest in independant infrastructure and NOT to wait for Eircom or the Government as such. Try to rely on either of them and you'll get nowhere.

/Martin

Advertisement