Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gow suitable for child?

• 12-02-2007 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

mini xbox-face is 7 years old and has her heart set on gears of war for her bday, is it suitable for her?

yours,
    xbox-face

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

xbox-face wrote:
    mini xbox-face is 7 years old and has her heart set on gears of war for her bday, is it suitable for her?

yours,
    xbox-face

Have you seen GOW in the shops ? Did you read the age cert on the front ? Why would you even entertain gettting this game for a 7 year old girl ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

KTRIC wrote:
    Have you seen GOW in the shops ? Did you read the age cert on the front ? Why would you even entertain gettting this game for a 7 year old girl ?

completely agree

i don't think its suitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 xbox-face

yeah but i ignore those certs, they'r no good. she often watches 18s dvds so i thought the game wud be ok?

xbox-face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

games have ratings just like movies for a reason......i dont have kids but if i did i really couldnt see myself allowing a 7 year old to play this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No.

• Advertisement

xbox-face wrote:
    yeah but i ignore those certs, they'r no good. she often watches 18s dvds so i thought the game wud be ok?

xbox-face

You're clearly here just to troll and wind people up.

no i am not thank you very much. and what game wud people recommend?

xbox-face

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Is this for real? Of course its not suitable. But if as you say you let her watch 18s vids and dont pay attention to ratings then why are you asking us??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

7 year old girl who often watches 18s movies.

Troll-tastic.

because i watch the movies first, if i think theyre ok i let her watch them, i dont just let her watch anything. however i cannot play through a whole game, so i asked a question to which people responded no. this is fine, i will not buy game for her. but why is everyone teaming up against xbox-face

• Advertisement

xbox-face wrote:
    because i watch the movies first, if i think theyre ok i let her watch them, i dont just let her watch anything. however i cannot play through a whole game, so i asked a question to which people responded no. this is fine, i will not buy game for her. but why is everyone teaming up against xbox-face

Common sense would dictate that when a game or movie has an 18's cert then it is not suitable for anyone under that age.

Seeing as you just registered today and your first post is quite ridiculous then its not really strange that people would call you a troll. Also we have enough people here that refer to themselves in the the third person, we don't need another.

*Edit - on a side note, 3000th post WOOOOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

As a matter of interest, what 18 cert movies do you let her watch?

I really don't think GOW is that bad. The violence is way OTT and comic bookey. Now, there's no way I'd let a kid play Fear.

But GOW... maybe not a 7 year old. But I was watching Robocop when I was 10/11 and it didn't do me any damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Not at that formative age. When she's nine, maybe.
    How does she even know about such a game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

I'm more worried about the fact you refer to yourself in the 3rd person....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Viva Pinata is a great game and more than suitable for a younger gamer. Great for older gamers too. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Any of the Crash team race titles, spyro the dragon titles and maybe Fable.

sonofsam wrote:

Perhaps he's Pighead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

xbox-face wrote:
    but why is everyone teaming up against xbox-face

For some reason I imagined you saying that in a Yoda-esque voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

sonofsam wrote:

ZygOte's thoughts exactly......

anyway

as chris rocks says, every fathers job it to keep their baby off the pole.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

I'm not going to take the high ground on this because everyone is entitled to do what they like, that said, it would be worth seeing someone actually play the game before you make the decision.

1 There is a chainsaw on one of the weapons (which I personally find quite effective) this typically says people in half in high def.

2 Grenades can be stuck to opponents at close range blowing them limb from limb.

3.pistol whipping is also quite effective.

4. when opponents are killed and if they have not been blown limb from limb they typically twicth for a while.

All in all, a lot of thought and effort has been put into this game and it works quite well but it is very violent and realistic in some ways. I would not recomend it for a 7 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dont see why everyone is flaming. I was watching 18s films at a very young age, mind you they were mostly sci fi like aliens terminator robocop etc.

GoW contains OTT violence and thats it..... I think a parent would be more concerned over sexual content and language rather then just violence.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Maybe a little off topic but this "I let my kid play this and watch that" etc. There's a rating for a reason folks. A reason!!!! And people wonder why all these groups and papers popup saying ban voilent movies/games/whatever. "these games warp kids' minds". It's this kind of greedy ignorance that'll lead to the stage where they'll stop making games for adults. Look at the rating for f***sake. and then don't go bitching about how shocking games are nowadays and aren't like what they used to be........
    did you know there's a 10% increase in spousal abuse in England after major football games. (Must find that report) Don't see 'em trying to ban football do ya?

Dont see why everyone is flaming. I was watching 18s films at a very young age, mind you they were mostly sci fi like aliens terminator robocop etc.

GoW contains OTT violence and thats it..... I think a parent would be more concerned over sexual content and language rather then just violence.....

From the South Park Movie:

Sheila Broflovski: Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!

Terence & Philip: What!?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think a parent would be more concerned over sexual content and language rather then just violence.....
    Because sex is an evil unnatural thing that we should never let kids learn anything about, but blowing peoples heads off and chainsawing them in half is a perfectly acceptable pass time for them? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

robinph wrote:
    Because sex is an evil unnatural thing that we should never let kids learn anything about, but blowing peoples heads off and chainsawing them in half is a perfectly acceptable pass time for them? ;)

completely agree here, good point and well made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Maybe a little off topic but this "I let my kid play this and watch that" etc. There's a rating for a reason folks. A reason!!!! And people wonder why all these groups and papers popup saying ban voilent movies/games/whatever. "these games warp kids' minds". It's this kind of greedy ignorance that'll lead to the stage where they'll stop making games for adults. Look at the rating for f***sake. and then don't go bitching about how shocking games are nowadays and aren't like what they used to be........
    did you know there's a 10% increase in spousal abuse in England after major football games. (Must find that report) Don't see 'em trying to ban football do ya?

Oh come on. Its up to the parents to teach the kids right and wrong. The problem is that people let their kids watch these films and play these games without explaining that you should never do that in real life and that its only a fantasy etc. If parents didnt use video games and TV as babbysitters there wouldnt be all these problems. I think its OK for a parent to let a kid play a game if they explain its not real and you should never do those things in real life. I know my little brother who is 16 has been playing the GTA games since they first came out and he turned out to be a very socially conscious and non violent person because his parents always tought him right from worng not his playstation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Oh come on. Its up to the parents to teach the kids right and wrong. The problem is that people let their kids watch these films and play these games without explaining that you should never do that in real life and that its only a fantasy etc. If parents didnt use video games and TV as babbysitters there wouldnt be all these problems. I think its OK for a parent to let a kid play a game if they explain its not real and you should never do those things in real life. I know my little brother who is 16 has been playing the GTA games since they first came out and he turned out to be a very socially conscious and non violent person because his parents always tought him right from worng not his playstation.

That sums it up really. Fair play Mike, great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I think the age ratings on games should be heeded more than on films as well because the games are immersive and involving while films are passive viewing where you have no control over the outcome. Education on these games is the key to a well rounded upbringing

MikeHoncho wrote:

Yes, it is up to parents to teach their kids right from wrong. My point is what's happening is that these games/films are being bought for their kids without any thought. Then we get all these complaints about how films and games are turning kids into dangerous little monsters. Most of us don't believe this of course but as long as parents keep buying/showing these games and films to kids they will ALWAYS be used as scapegoats and start screaming "Ban this terrible whatever" and what'll happen is that it'll become more profitable to just make generic middle of the road, safe movies and games. We all know about all the crap that came out about GTA and Bully. I don't agree with censorship but I do agree with age restrictions.

• Advertisement

I think all of you have frightened me correctly. I will not let my young daughter have gears of war. I will perhaps look at the games as were mentioned above. You have all been very helpful and I thank you.

This is the things she watches, she is more like a young boy. I do not let her watch topics that might not be good for development personal. But I accept now that Gears of War is unsuitable. Thank you all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

FYI,i dont think the mods allow sigs that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

pegi

gears of war has an 18 rating in most territories and carries a violence tag.

make your own parenting decisions based on the information provided.

Advertisement