Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend something to stop kids sitting on my garden fence

Options
  • 12-02-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

Can someone recommend something to stop kids sitting on my garden fence>? I heard there is a non stick paint that comes off on clothes.

Thanks,

SF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

hi,

i know you can get a burglar deterant drainpipe paint that stays really greasy . not sure if it would work on wood tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

B&Q do a "Vandal" paint, only the top layer dries, underneath is greasy and messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Just go the whole hog and tar the top of the fense.

that'll learn em

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

If you put a heavy layer of No More Nails and set some broken glass into it. That should do the trick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Can someone recommend something to stop kids sitting on my garden fence>?

Yip, Organise something for them to do that they would be interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Xennon wrote:
    Yip, Organise something for them to do that they would be interested in.

Very well thought out answer but thats not nearly as much fun as watching them tar themselves.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 susanfikes

Thanks, I'll try the anti vandal paint. As for organise them to do something, i don;t know them and want nothing to do with them just to get them off my fence!

Anyone else got any other good ideas???

Someone mentioned putting carpet grippers on the fence??? And planting defensively, i.e. thorny shrubs that make entry a painful experience. On the top of fences place trellis, and thorny shrubs that make entry a painful experience....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

putting trellis panels that won't take their weight is a good start, then the paint or tar. I wouldn't use the glass or carpet grippers approach, you are trying to encourage them to go elsewhere not hurt or maim them..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,587 ✭✭✭✭looksee

not a legal opinion but i think you'll find you could be liable if you put glass, nails etc on the fencing. Prickly hedging is a good idea tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I'll try the anti vandal paint

tbh that can work two ways...one they just go ...ooooohh yukk look at my clothes and move on.....two they go ...who put that there??...wha da f**K ... and suddenly you gain the attention of a group of adolesents..

just my thoughts on it.

daveym wrote:
    putting trellis panels that won't take their weight is a good start, then the paint or tar. I wouldn't use the glass or carpet grippers approach, you are trying to encourage them to go elsewhere not hurt or maim them..

This is the best way, or you could use some type of decorative moulding that is uncomfortable to sit on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Prickly hedging does deter them we had a corner house opposite some shops hence they were loitering around the place. Never had a problem after the bushes were planted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Susan .... this guy should do the trick ...... :p

army_dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Plant Sea buckthorn, good cover and lovely looking plants, impenetrable thorny plants though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

play horrid music out the windows when they are around, Val donnagan or foster and allen :D alt stand at the door with a large base ball bat and grin wildly with a crazed look in your eye :D Or you could just ask them to move on as they are destroying the fence depending on the type of kids/family/background. I know we just told them that we had young kids asleep and 9 out of 10 would say ok and move but you will also get 1 soandso acting the smart ass ut once his/her friends leave they follow like the good little sheep they are.:D

i have asked them repeatedly not to sit on the fence, damaging, wearing off paint ( they even have their names in graffitti on it ) so 'fraif that won't work. also they know there is no kids living in the house.

got this from atlantic homecare:
    We sell an Anti-Burglar paint which comes in black. The paint leaves a permanently greasy surface which restricts climbing. It also rubs off to stain clothes etc if they make contact with it. The sku is 106414 and the price is €14.50 for a 750ml tin.

and this from woodies:
    The anti burglar paint can be used on wood fences and gates but it is advised not to use them below head height as this paint will leave grease marks that may not come out of clothing that it comes in contact with.

sounds perfect!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Get a male friend to goto fence when they are watching

and get him to p$ss on the fence.
    that would stop me from sitting on it again.:D

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Hi Susan,

Make sure that you put wet paint signs up when you do it as you could get aggro from parents if their clothes get destroyed atleast you can cover your own back. If they take them off or cannot read then that is their fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Hey Susan

Plastic wall spikes - not too sharp, but they'd be uncomfortable

p3116207_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101493&ts=92506

• Advertisement
Advertisement