Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Qashqai?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Went to have a look at the new Nissan Qashqai at the weekend. Thinking of the 1.5 diesel se at 26695 euro.
    Its not a car and not quite an SUV. Looks the part but only has 2wd with this engine.
    I was thinking of trading in a 2004 Alfa 147 (the wifes)

Love to know what other people think of this car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Seen one yesterday, they look the part of a 4x4. The 1.5 DCi is a great engine, not sure if its going to set the world on fire with the weight.

Seat Altea XL might be a better option and the 1.9 TDi would fit the mark better, esp if its diesel your after.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=595856

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Where the hell did they get that name ?

Am I right in thinking that its pronounced Cash-Gay ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it seems to be quite well priced for what you get. That is aRenault engine, I believe they make reasonable diesels.
    I think it's part of a new three-pronged approach to replacing the terminably dull Almera range (Note, Quashqai, and Tilda to follow?)
    Say it's a better option than the Primera which seems hopelessly outclassed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it seems to be quite well priced for what you get. That is aRenault engine, I believe they make reasonable diesels.
    I think it's part of a new three-pronged approach to replacing the terminably dull Almera range (Note, Quashqai, and Tilda to follow?)
    Say it's a better option than the Primera which seems hopelessly outclassed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dts wrote:
    Went to have a look at the new Nissan Qashqai at the weekend. Thinking of the 1.5 diesel se at 26695 euro.
    Its not a car and not quite an SUV. Looks the part but only has 2wd with this engine.
    I was thinking of trading in a 2004 Alfa 147 (the wifes)

Love to know what other people think of this car?
    A 2WD SUV-lookalike strikes me as the worst of all worlds. You get all the bad points of an SUV, but without the ability to cross so much as a muddy field. I wouldn't give up a Micra for this, much less an Alfa 147.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Get teh 4x4 version so!

And the pronounciation is Cash-kye

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

testicle wrote:
    the pronounciation is Cash-kye

which sounds unusually similar to " Cash-Cow", which is a term for a product that generates unusually high profit margins:This profit far exceeds the amount necessary to maintain the cash cow business, and the excess is used by the business for other purposes.

Perhaps Nissan Ireland might actually make some money from this model and resist the urge to sell them all to Enterprise just to make sales figures. This money could contribute to making some decent run of the mill cars with life-cycles of under 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

colm_mcm wrote:
    Perhaps Nissan Ireland might actually make some money from this model and resist the urge to sell them all to Enterprise just to make sales figures. This money could contribute to making some decent run of the mill cars with life-cycles of under 7 years.

When I was growing up Nissan was a serious competitor for Toyota in this country. It seemed to go wrong when they started selling large quantities of company/hire cars - the s/h values collapsed with a glut of nearly-new Almera/Primeras each September and that trend has continued.

The Qashqai is causing a stir though. I've already seen a number on the roads and it's been mentioned here a number of times. Neat design, nice quality interior and lots of press ads getting across the point that this is not an off-roader but a new type of family hatch.

I presume Nissan will bring in a saloon to replace the Almera (the Tilda I think? Woeful yoke).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote:
    which sounds unusually similar to " Cash-Cow", ...
    Perhaps Nissan Ireland might actually make some money from this model
    ...always a first time, I guess, saying as they went under not so long ago...
    and resist the urge to sell them all to Enterprise just to make sales figures.
    Tut tut Colm, just cos they didn't buy boatload of Yarii (Yaris's??)...;)
    This money could contribute to making some decent run of the mill cars with life-cycles of under 7 years.
    ....eeek! tell me you're not actually espousing making something that WON'T last 7 years !!! Are ye afraid you'll have to up yer warranty to match.....Kia?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

by life cycle I mean production run.

Also remember the fuss they made of the Note, that all died down fairly quickly.

Some manufacturers don't need to rely on rebate, pre-regs, 0% finance deals and big fleet customers to stay afload.

• Advertisement

Actually, as a long-time Scenic fan, I looked forward to the Note, only to find out it was smaller. Would this make it a Post-It ?? :D

I tried to see the Qash-Qai on the Nissan website, but the site was so bad I gave up. I emailed Nissan about it..........and they emailed back that they agreed !!

As for all the spec offers, if it puts 'bums on seats', hey, well that's good for me. Having seen my local dealer make an absolute stonking killing on a friends' trade in recently, it's hard to be sympathetic.......sorry !:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now ...to the unitiated (like me) ...

What would be the main difference between that Nissan with the silly name and the Suzuki RX4 / Fiat Sedici ?

Other than the much higher price, I mean ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anan1 wrote:
    A 2WD SUV-lookalike strikes me as the worst of all worlds. You get all the bad points of an SUV, but without the ability to cross so much as a muddy field.

Some people just like the higher sitting position, and son't like the look of people carriers.

The Qashqai looks like a nicer motor to me. It is a decent step for nissan. Although the options list is stupidly over priced. If you want to add leather and Sat Nav, it is €5000 extra :eek:

EDIT:
    On another note, (excuse pun :o ), the Qashqai uses a renault engine. I wonder would their be the same enthusiastic response on these boards if the very same car was being launched with a renault badge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

peasant wrote:
    Now ...to the unitiated (like me) ...

What would be the main difference between that Nissan with the silly name and the Suzuki RX4 / Fiat Sedici ?

Other than the much higher price, I mean ... :D

The Qashkai is based on the Renault Megane/Scenic and the Suzuki RX4 / Fiat Sedici are based on the Suzuki Swift so I'd expect significantly more space in the Qashkai. I think all Sedici modles are all wheel drive with the RX4 being front wheel drive or all wheel drive, either way, they're engineered to have room to provide drive to the rear wheels, further eating into passenger space. The Qashkai is just front wheel drive.

alias no.9 wrote:
    The Qashkai is based on the Renault Megane/Scenic and the Suzuki RX4 / Fiat Sedici are based on the Suzuki Swift so I'd expect significantly more space in the Qashkai. I think all Sedici modles are all wheel drive with the RX4 being front wheel drive or all wheel drive, either way, they're engineered to have room to provide drive to the rear wheels, further eating into passenger space. The Qashkai is just front wheel drive.

Ahh ..I see ...so it's like the re-hashed, re-badged Renault "Scenic RX4" ... just whithout the all wheel drive and without the 2 liter engine? :D

I still fail to see what all the excitement and hype is about ...

alias no.9 wrote:
    The Qashkai is just front wheel drive.
    peasant wrote:
    just whithout the all wheel drive and without the 2 liter engine?

You are both incorrect.

It is also available as 4WD and/or as 2.0L Petrol and Diesel

http://www.lawford-nissan.com/newcars/qashqai/specifications20d.asp

P

prospect wrote:
    You are both incorrect.

It is also available as 4WD and/or as 2.0L Petrol and Diesel

http://www.lawford-nissan.com/newcars/qashqai/specifications20d.asp

P

So it is the Renault Scenic RX4 Mark II then :D
    Just that it is a Nissan and a bit prettier.

Hmmm ....

I'm still not feeling the excitment here ...:D :D:D

I'm not overly worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

prospect wrote:
    Although the options list is stupidly over priced. If you want to add leather and Sat Nav, it is €5000 extra :eek:

About the same in a Golf......Different segment perhaps but €5K on a Lexus IS220- leather and bigger wheels,if you wanted Sat Nav you have to buy another 'pack' for €5.4K

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Imho they would suit my needs perfectly, good for country roads - raised view, 4wd option and nice big boot for the weekly shopping or hiking gear.

Would definitely consider as a replacement for my current car in a year or so.
    If it had been available a little earlier would definitely have considered instead of the current Fabia diesel.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have not seen any maximas in Ireland- the ones with a 3.5 lit --nice car http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN/MAXIMA/Queensland/2357459.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

colm_mcm,

you seem to be fairly up on this sort of thing - have you a vested interest you'd care to share by chance??? or did you get burnt previously by Nissan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

soSolid wrote:
    colm_mcm,

you seem to be fairly up on this sort of thing - have you a vested interest you'd care to share by chance??? or did you get burnt previously by Nissan?

He really hates bland dull Japanese cars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

prospect wrote:
    The Qashqai looks like a nicer motor to me. It is a decent step for nissan. Although the options list is stupidly over priced. If you want to add leather and Sat Nav, it is €5000 extra :eek::

OT but I've noticed on a few brands that sat nav as an opption is ridiculously overpriced. Cant remember but I think it was one of the Toyotas had a sat nav option for €2750. I'd guess somewhere in the ragion of €2500- €3000 of the above €5000 is for the sat nav. Personnally I think if I want sat nav I'll spend a couple of hundred quid on a garmin or Tom tom.

peasant wrote:
    So it is the Renault Scenic RX4 Mark II then :D
    Just that it is a Nissan and a bit prettier.

Hmmm ....

I'm still not feeling the excitment here ...:D :D:D
    http://www.adverts.ie/data/2/front9.jpg

I dunno, with one of these in our garage at the mo, we're happy. I saw an 7 G Qashqai today and I couldn't help seeing the similarities between it and our RX4.

...which begs the question.........I hope it's about 500kg lighter with that small engine, or it'll be a right slow-poke.

Ode To The Motorist

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

saw one of these the other day in car park in dundrum, actually not bad looking up close. not sure i'd like one myself but would say they will sell well. was parked beside a scenic and was about the same height...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I'mthe gaffer

One word of warning to prospective Qashqai buyers, Nissan seem extremely confident of this car and are as a result being very scrooge like in their trade-in values against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

One word of warning to prospective Qashqai buyers, Nissan seem extremely confident of this car and are as a result being very scrooge like in their trade-in values against it.
    Can't agree, So far I have been given a much better trade-in offer on my 05 Avensis against a Qashqai than against another Avensis, Passat, or a Vectra. So your point is???:confused:

I'll probably go for it ,but I have a few more dealers to visit this weekend.

Seemingly, Windsor motors shifted 40 Quashqai's in their first weekend.

• Advertisement

soSolid wrote:
    colm_mcm,

Nah I'm just sitting on a fence (is)

Advertisement