Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I need a new brum brum

Options
  • 12-02-2007 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I saw the €25k post and had a read, although im quiet different...

I'm a 26 yr old, so have to keep insurance in mind, price range of 17000 - 23000 and i've looked at the following so far

A4 2003 1.6
    Saab
    Hyundai Coupe

I'm currently driving a Hyundai Lantra, 98 with 85k on the clock, and its at the stage where its costing me an arm and a leg to service - time to bite the bullet! I'd appreciate any suggestions

Which car would you suggest for 17k - 23k? 12 votes

Audi A4 (petrol 2003 - onwards)
    0%
    Peugot 407
    83%
    EnygmaLuciferkikelskibumJuan PablocornbbMagic PipsMike2006troutduploelabs 10 votes
    Hyundai Coupe (2005 - onwards)
    8%
    Moanin 1 vote
    Saab
    8%
    dts 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Saab
    For someone of your age I would go for an alfa 147. I have had three Alfa's a 146, a 156 and a 147 and loved them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Peugot 407
    My Bro drives an Alpha, so i'd prefer to get something more original - within our circle, also i'd prefer a saloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

If your going for the A4 go with the diesel or 1.8T if possible.
    The NA petrol engines are very underpowered especially the 1.6 and the 2.0 isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm an Audi fan, bet there's A4s everywhere, so for that something different I'd have to say Saab. They're supposed to be great go-ers...as for insurance take a look at the "how insurance is calculated video (sound imperitive)", You're 26 so I presume it wouldn't come into it much so have a look at the Saab Turbo injection Diesel engine in 2.2. Don't have any personal experience, but have heard good noises.

or even a 9-5

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

$Leon$ wrote:
    If your going for the A4 go with the diesel or 1.8T if possible.
    The NA petrol engines are very underpowered especially the 1.6 and the 2.0 isn't much better.

Agreed, no point in getting an A4 if you go the 1.6 route.

I'm picking up my 2003 A4 1.8T today - €21k to €22k should see you in a minter from a decent dealer. Around €19k to €20k for a good private one. Lovely to drive and ticks all the boxes for me.

Out of what you've listed, I'd recommend the A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    I'm an Audi fan, bet there's A4s everywhere, so for that something different I'd have to say Saab. They're supposed to be great go-ers...as for insurance take a look at the "how insurance is calculated video (sound imperitive)", You're 26 so I presume it wouldn't come into it much so have a look at the Saab Turbo injection Diesel engine in 2.2. Don't have any personal experience, but have heard good noises.

or even a 9-5

I would not touch the Saab 9-3 diesel unless it was the 1.9 TiD unit and you won't get one of them for €25k. The 2.2 litre is an old Isuzu sourced unit and is noisy, course, generally unrefined and not very economical to warrent the extra tax and insurance.

To OP, did you consider a Mazda 6 diesel?
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=546669
    136bhp version, quite nippy for a diesel and well equipped.

Peugot 407
    Thanks for the replies all, i do love the A4, but as has been said above - they're almost too popular! I've put the application into the bank for a loan for 25k, i'd like that to cover insurance too though. Fingers crossed...

Peugot 407
    I had a look at the mazda 6, but it doesnt really float my boat - also one of the guys has it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Magic Pips wrote:
    Thanks for the replies all, i do love the A4, but as has been said above - they're almost too popular! I've put the application into the bank for a loan for 25k, i'd like that to cover insurance too though. Fingers crossed...

If it was my money, I'd half that loan and get me one of these:
    list of Saab 9-5's
    possibly one with leather and all the trimmings

Peugot 407
    im drivin a 98 atm, i'd like to get a minimum of 2003 - also much prefer the 2003 shape 9-3

• Advertisement
Advertisement