Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unalbe to dial out on laptop

Options
  • 12-02-2007 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All

just installing ISP software for dial up internet connection on a laptop and I can get the feckin thing to dial out !

the laptop was recently rebuilt by a tech support guy - I can dial the no. on the phone therefore its not phone or cable - Cable is properly connected etc. I have turned firewall off (XP Pro) and disabled antivirus AVG - but when we try to connect it just will not dial out - checked device manager etc and cant suss it out - any ideas anyone ? :confused:

Cheers
    Andy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

anyone any ideas? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

So are you using the ISP software to dial out?

Can you try to create a connection yourself to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Are you getting a specific error message?

You could check the modem again in the control panel:

Start=>Control Panel=>Phone & Modem Options

Under modems highlight your modem on the list. Select properties.

Under diagnostics click "query modem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Can you hear anything from the modem? Check the properties of the modem for things like the correct country code settings and pulse vs tone. TBH it just sounds like a wrong setting in the modem, but there's a few so you'll have to go through and check for anything obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes tried creating a new connection etc. no joy - just no dial tone - ie it will try to dial number - but nothing, no dial tone, no handshake - nothing ! dont have it with me so cant check but there was two modems showing - an acen 97 and another one - dont remeber seeing that query modem option , will check that out tonight.

Thanks everyone !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

but there was two modems showing - an acen 97 and another one -
    It could be a simple case of the dialup connection trying to use the wrong modem... maybe the one it's attempting to use doesn't exist... do you actually have two modems? Do you know which is which?

I'd say it's probably using the wrong driver... I've had modems that appeared to function with many different drivers... even passing the "query modem" test... but with my most recent case there was just a little something missing and it shat itself every time it tried to open the line.
    I'd say find out exactly which modem you have and get a driver specifically for the version of windows you're using.
    Some modems are dinosaurs with (proper) drivers that end at Windows 98.
    Don't accept modem drivers at face value just because device manager isn't flagging them as non-working.

If all else fails, and you can't get a working driver or the hardware is fudged, you could always get an external USB modem... working hardware and a proper driver for modern OS'es... they're cheap as shít anyway.

Advertisement