Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$19 Dell Bluetooh adpter- no Irish need apply.

Options
  • 12-02-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Dell.com have an internal Bluetooth adapter for their laptops on offer at the moment for $19.The offer is here http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=430-1795

But when I went to take up the offer I wasnt let put in my Irish address. The website only allows a US addresses. I IRC-ed (is that the correct term?) with a dell.com representative. There wasnt any thing he could do except suggest buy it and get it delivered to a friend or relative in the US and get them to post in on. I can't do that. Also I cant find the product on Dell.ie. (Neither could the Dell representative), neither for full price nor the offer price.

I phoned Dell and after having been transfered from one person to another I was finally put onto some company in the UK that handles Dell's accessories. The guy told me it would cost stg£50/€75, which is $97 at todays forex rates.

What is so special about Dell's American customers that they only have to pay $19? Or to put it another way why does Dell feel it can screw (and by screw I mean the DIY use of the word!!) its Irish customers and overcharge them by 80% ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

the ridiculous extra cost is probably for customs/duty. I got caught out when I won an ebay auction in the states. Had to pay €30. Delivery was by UPS..whereas if it was normal US post, it probably would have got through undetected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 passdump

No. It certainly ain't customs. The $97 is the price coming from the UK which is part of the EU...so no customs on that one.

I would be quite happy to buy the $19 one and ship it to Ireland and pay customs on it. It would still be way cheaper that $97

No, the price difference can't be put down to customs.

And I certainly ain't accepting the usual rubbish excuses for ripping off Irish customers like "lighting" and "insurance" etc.

That $97 price was also for Dell's U.K. and European customers.

I've just seen this on the Revenue's web site at:

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1882.htm

where it states:

4. Consignments of Negligible Value

Consignments not exceeding a value of €22 may be imported from outside the EC without payment of import charges. However, this relief does not apply to importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic products, undenatured perfumes or toilet waters.

So it's just Dell screwing us BIG time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Eh, maybe it's just an offer available to the US only, nothing to do with rip off Ireland etc as people anywhere else outside of the US are excluded.
    I'm fairly sure that when there's offers on the Irish website not all, if any, are available to people based in the US.
    Simple as that really.

Jip wrote:
    Eh, maybe it's just an offer available to the US only, nothing to do with rip off Ireland etc as people anywhere else outside of the US are excluded.
    I'm fairly sure that when there's offers on the Irish website not all, if any, are available to people based in the US.
    Simple as that really.

Why is it just open to the US only? It's 2007, we have credit cards, internet shopping, Fed Ex. Dell are a global company.Why is it just open to US customers?

I would like to buy the item and it isn't on the Irish/European website.

And yeah, if Dell want, they don't have to sell to me. But I am quite entitled to highlight to anyone who is interested how grossly unfair the two prices are.

To any objective viewer the price difference is incredible $19 versus $97

I don't believe this is solely relevant to the Irish-I phrased it that way cause this is an Irish interest web site, I'm Irish and Dell wouldn't sell to me in Ireland. I didn't mean to suggest this was another case of ripoff Ireland per se.

If there is an offer on Dell's Irish website it should be available to whoever wants to take up the offer, as long as they are prepared to pay for postage etc.

And your right, it is simple as that really.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Oh get over it. Dell will sell to you in Ireland if you use the dell.ie site.

Plenty of companies don't want the hassle with shipping outside of their jurisdiction, even more so if there are customs issues involved.

parsi wrote:
    Oh get over it. Dell will sell to you in Ireland if you use the dell.ie site.

Plenty of companies don't want the hassle with shipping outside of their jurisdiction, even more so if there are customs issues involved.

I've already said the item isn't on Dell.ie.

And I've no idea what you mean by "outside their jurisdiction". Dell are a multi national with their European HQ in Ireland. Your trying to say they can't lick a stamp an put it on an envelope if I pay for it?

There must be tens of thousands of ordinary people on eBay who have no problem shipping to Ireland from the US and you believe Dell aren't able to do like wise?

And anyway the customs headache is all mine being the recipient of the goods.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

passdump wrote:
    I'm Irish and Dell wouldn't sell to me in Ireland

passdump wrote:
    I've already said the item isn't on Dell.ie.

So as I said Dell would sell it to you if it was on Dell.ie

passdump wrote:
    And I've no idea what you mean by "outside their jurisdiction". Dell are a multi national with their European HQ in Ireland. Your trying to say they can't lick a stamp an put it on an envelope if I pay for it?

No. I said that they don't want to sell to people outside of the intended market for their website. It's a Dell US website aimed (generally) at US folk. They have chosen to sell to Irish folk on dell.ie , UK folk through dell.co.uk etc. They may have chosen this as they do not want to have to figure out international postage costs for each and every item in their inventory. It's their choice.
    passdump wrote:
    There must be tens of thousands of ordinary people on eBay who have no problem shipping to Ireland from the US and you believe Dell aren't able to do like wise?

Read my words carefully: I said "plenty of companies don't want the hassle". See the word "want" ? It's not the same as "aren't able to"...
    passdump wrote:
    And anyway the customs headache is all mine being the recipient of the goods.

It becomes theirs if you decide that you don't want to pay the duty and they end uppaying for return shipping.

Well, it looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I have my views on it, and you have yours. Neither of us are going to agree with each other.

Advertisement