Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T jobs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Im in the same boat.Im Certified, but cant get a job.Basically thinking of getting a helpdesk monkey job.Thinking of firstline, but not too sure what it involves.
    Anyone care to clear up "log and pass" ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Log and Pass, also known as Catch and Dispatch - user calls up, you write down what their problem is and send it to second level to solve the problem. There is no technical knowledge needed for it.

TBH, you could do worse than applying to HP/CPL just to get a foot in the door so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Try italliance - they will hire inexperienced people with an interest in computers. The trade off is that they will treat you like crap and pay you in shiny buttons, shoe polish tins and some money (15,000). However after 12 months reapply through one of the agencies for a better paid job (23000) and take it from there. It will be a financially painful but exciting time for you as you get experienced. Don't get into moany mary mode like a lot of IT people do (Im so great why cant I get promoted) and stick around the 'good' people to learn lots (Good people do networking, web, programming work for fun at home and often wear thick glasses and have one of those raised shoes). Never think you are too experienced to do any menial job. Help people as much as possible and never get annoyed with the dunces and idiots you meet along the way - they are your bread and butter. Treat them like gold and you will become a Midas.If they didnt exist we would have no job. 5 years from now you will be a midddle manager. 10 years who knows. Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

kmick wrote:
    never get annoyed with the dunces and idiots you meet along the way - they are your bread and butter. Treat them like gold and you will become a Midas

A lot easier said than done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

feylya wrote:
    TBH, you could do worse than applying to HP/CPL just to get a foot in the door so to speak.
    Worse being Eircom dial-up support. When I was there (briefly), they supported 95 to XP.
    BNC wrote:
    OP, have you thought of applying for one of the Fás courses. I know there was a very good one running in Loughlinstown a few years ago, not sure if it still is. From memory it was the ""PC maintenance & Networks" course. They would arrange placements with companies at the end of the 1 year course. Quite a number of large name companies recruited from this.

Good luck anyway. (I used to live in Knocklyon by the way ;) )
    Its 6 months long, you get paid money while doing it (if you're unemployed), and you get 4 weeks work experience at the end. Also a CompTIA A+ out of it. Didn't get a job from it, but the A+ helped me get the current one. Two of the lads are still working in the job they got "4 weeks" work experience. Its all down to where you get the work experience, and if you get a chance to shine.
    does ayone have any opinions about the courses here,
    http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course_category.php?id=9

F*CKING BUNCH OF CHANCERS!!! €629 for a CompTIA A+???

Goto Fas.ie Look for the eCollege bit, and check out the evening classes. €120 fr 26 weeks gets you a CompTIA A+ Direct link (should still work):
    http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=29338_7&SERVICE=CRITERIUMBROWSE&COURSE_CODE=50102&TEMPLATE=WWW_JS_TRAIN_CRITERIUM_BROWSE.HTM&ROW=2&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_TRAIN_CRITERIUM_OVERVIEW.HTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

the_syco wrote:
    Worse being Eircom dial-up support. When I was there (briefly), they supported 95 to XP.

Its 6 months long, you get paid money while doing it (if you're unemployed), and you get 4 weeks work experience at the end. Also a CompTIA A+ out of it. Didn't get a job from it, but the A+ helped me get the current one. Two of the lads are still working in the job they got "4 weeks" work experience. Its all down to where you get the work experience, and if you get a chance to shine.

F*CKING BUNCH OF CHANCERS!!! €629 for a CompTIA A+???

Goto Fas.ie Look for the eCollege bit, and check out the evening classes. €120 fr 26 weeks gets you a CompTIA A+ Direct link (should still work):
    http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=29338_7&SERVICE=CRITERIUMBROWSE&COURSE_CODE=50102&TEMPLATE=WWW_JS_TRAIN_CRITERIUM_BROWSE.HTM&ROW=2&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_TRAIN_CRITERIUM_OVERVIEW.HTM

What job do you currently have?

I have an A+ too, from fas, was wondering what kind of a job can you get with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Guys seriously get a A+ book or N+ whatever, that cost what 30-50 euro ?
    It takes one week to read and understand it, and then gor for the exam.
    Couple of years ago I passed NETWORKING ESSENTIALS from Microsoft which is the equivalent of A+/N+ combined, took me 3 days to read the 700 pages book, went for the exam and passed it (Without any dump, was in 1999).

You will save yourself lots of money and hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Did anyone here go into the industry as an IT graduate? What were your experiences of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

mick.fr wrote:
    Guys seriously get a A+ book or N+ whatever, that cost what 30-50 euro ?
    It takes one week to read and understand it, and then gor for the exam.
    Couple of years ago I passed NETWORKING ESSENTIALS from Microsoft which is the equivalent of A+/N+ combined, took me 3 days to read the 700 pages book, went for the exam and passed it (Without any dump, was in 1999).

You will save yourself lots of money and hassle.

Agreed. Good course both and very doable with even a little computer aptitude. While they won't get you the admin. position you dream of walking into they will help get your foot in the door and the Net+ in particular serves as a great foundation for more advanced certification tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

_CreeD_ wrote:

Hey buddy btw, I take you on ONS whenever you want.
    My nick is Fooljam
    See you :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

[OT]
    I live in the states at the moment, so there's a wee bit of a time difference but you can usually catch me on GC-Nepenthe or Omnipotents the few times I'm on these days. I'll drop in on one your side of the pond if I see ya on. Not too many ONS players left these days, but it does make browsing simpler ;).
    [/OT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

A career in IT...so thats where I went wrong! It's back to Medicine for me then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

You could get into video conferencing and audio visual support and branch into IT from there.

Advertisement