Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncturist in Cork

Options
  • 12-02-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Could someone please recommend me a good Acupuncturist they've had experience with in Cork?l
    Im also looking for someone professionally trained in herbal medicine.

Im considering going to Peter Sheriff's clinic, seen as its the only clinic in Cork listed on the Professional Register of Traditional Chinese Medicine (PRTCM) website:
    http://www.chinesemedicine.ie

If anyone has feedback on any acupuncurists in Cork, i would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

dr china are in both mahon point and douglas court shopping center iv heard nothing but good reports from the two places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I've gone to Dr. Diurmuid O'Connell on the Douglas Rd (near the Briar Rose) a few times and he's very good. Got referred from my GP in Clonakilty who also does acupuncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bearaman

Hi,
    I know I'm totally biased here but my girlfriend is an acupuncturist in Cork. She has a web site with all the details at www.corkacupunctureclinic.com.
    Bearaman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try Dr. Decker in Ballincollig (you might have to ring his surgery in Drimoleague), lovely man and he is a Full Doctor also. Herbal remedies and needles, the whole shebang. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but anyone have any additional suggestions for acupuncturists in Cork other than what has been listed here? Or OP, did you try any of these and if so how did you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi,

try Greg Bradley, The Fuchsia Centre 38 Pope’s Quay Cork City, dont have a number for him, very good, and a very nice manner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

thanks mountain!

I actually went for a session this morning in a Chinese place on Kyle St that someone recommended to me from years ago. Bizarre little place but nice people.

Always good to have other suggestions though, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 millyfive

would recommend mary lannon in charleville she is an acupuncturist and also deals with nutrition, i go to her regularly for neck and back pain find treatments very effective, she has a good manner and you dont feel rushed in her clinic think she also treats pregnancy and fertility issues

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

mountain wrote: »
    Hi,

try Greg Bradley, The Fuchsia Centre 38 Pope’s Quay Cork City, dont have a number for him, very good, and a very nice manner as well.

Second that - very nice approach and did wonders for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tadgh35

Beware Attention All, Do not pay up front in Drchina's for 5 sessions.I got caught with this scheme.They offer you a discount for paying for 5 sessions up front, but when you go in for you hour session they finish 15min before the sesssion.Second and third time i went back they finished 20 min before my session was up. I asked for my money back for the 55min that i lost for them finishing early. I was told basically go for a long walk of a short cliff. Also people dont buy any of their so called oils and herbal tablets that they shove on you after your session.Go out the back garden and eat some grass its the same thing their offering you in a box from china that isnt even written in english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

if u are looking for a therapist of any kind try
    www.therapyswap.info
    :)

ps i am not a therapist or affiliated to it in any business way.... i just heard it was a good site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

chuci wrote: »
    dr china are in both mahon point and douglas court shopping center iv heard nothing but good reports from the two places

I got the short massage treatment there twice but was put off going for full session by the way they try to oush other products at you - if you say no to one, they will try another which is off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

all_smilz wrote: »
    if u are looking for a therapist of any kind try
    www.therapyswap.info
    :)

ps i am not a therapist or affiliated to it in any business way.... i just heard it was a good site.

Thst seems to say you need to have therapy skill you can use to swap yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

Saw this thread and thought I should recommend Regina Daly Creedon. She works in The Grove Medical Centre on The Model Farm Road in Cork (Next to Mount Mercy College). She works in many different areas but is doing a lot of fertility work at present. She has fantastic knowledge of nutrition and is very generous with her time and advice. Family members of mine have attended her and are very grateful to her. Her contact is 087-6896232.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkledrum

Renewing this thread again. Would love to hear more up to date recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My recommendation is don't waste your money on quackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

pwurple wrote: »
    My recommendation is don't waste your money on quackery.

I am somebody who had tried virtually everything, with little success, to combat an ongoing health difficulty. Eventually, somebody recommended acupuncture to me. I was reluctant at first but it has been of huge help to me. It is most definitely NOT quackery. Have you vast experience of acupuncture? Obviously not.

Figures for fertility treatments, along with acupuncture, also show vastly greater success rates than without. I know several women who had undergone fertility treatment, without acupuncture, with no success, yet when they tried it with acupuncture, a successful pregnancy was established.

A close, elderly relative of mine, who is a medic herself, has very poor circulation and a number of medical complications. She absolutely swears by acupuncture and is adamant that without it, she would not have the quality of life that she has.

Many medics, physiotherapists and osteopaths, for example, are now using acupuncture, as part of their treatment. Are they quacks too? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Well, there isn't 'vast evidence', there is anecdotal evidence but no randomised controlled studies have shown any statistically significant benefits.

Which essentially means that is you find it beneficial, great for you, but it is no better than placebo. The placebo effect is a very real one.

The big plus with such therapies is that the sense of control in taking over responsibility for one's own health can be very powerful.

I'm very well aware of the concept of the placebo effect, as I wrote a paper on it at one point. I have a number of medics in my immediate family, all of whom are hugely in favour of acupuncture.

There are certain treatments which I would be the first to question but acupuncture is not one of them. If I was one who was likely to have 'fallen' for the placebo effect, then I would have fallen for it, long, long before I tried acupuncture. If you read my original post again, you will see that I had tried numerous other treatments before I tried acupuncture, yet the placebo effect didn't kick in for ANY of them.

Any actual recommendations of accupuncturists in Cork??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

A friend uses a guy in grange, dunno who but google should help find him. He does late appointments during the week if that suits.
    He found it very good for a neck injury, but tried cupping with the same guy and found that better. He looked like hed gotten love bites all over his back and neck tho from that lol.

Edit,
    This is the place
    http://corkacupuncture.net

Thanks Red, good to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Rachel O Donnell in Douglas. A few friends go to her and very happy with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Regina Daly Creedon in Bishopstown is not only an excellent acupuncturist but also a herbalist and naturopath. She's very generous with her knowledge, time and support. She moved from Model Farm Road to near the Dunnes Stores roundabout in Bishopstown. Delighted to recommend her.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    I'm very well aware of the concept of the placebo effect, as I wrote a paper on it at one point. I have a number of medics in my immediate family, all of whom are hugely in favour of acupuncture.

There are certain treatments which I would be the first to question but acupuncture is not one of them. If I was one who was likely to have 'fallen' for the placebo effect, then I would have fallen for it, long, long before I tried acupuncture. If you read my original post again, you will see that I had tried numerous other treatments before I tried acupuncture, yet the placebo effect didn't kick in for ANY of them.

I would love to read the paper, if you have a reference for it that would be great. The only way to exclude the placebo effect is double blind controlled trials, so your assertion that you could not have 'fallen for it' is not really relevant.

But hey, it it made you feel better that's grand.

I've often heard it said that, 'Sarcasm is very definitely the lowest form of wit.' I'm inclined to agree.

Diziet wrote: »
    I would love to read the paper, if you have a reference for it that would be great. The only way to exclude the placebo effect is double blind controlled trials, so your assertion that you could not have 'fallen for it' is not really relevant.

But hey, it it made you feel better that's grand.

That's very much a matter of opinion, when it comes to double blind controlled trials:. For that matter, many question even the use of the term, 'blind', rathering instead to use the terms, 'anonymous' or even 'masked'. :)

Advertisement