Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Q's about Galway

Options
  • 12-02-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of taking my bf to Galway for St. Paddy's weekend, staying Fri, Sat & Sun.
    Thinking of staying the the Ibis, but it seems to be a right distance out of town.
    Is it really, or could you walk it easy enough?
    Would it be safe to walk, or would it be dodgy?

Are taxi's easy to get in Galway city, especially on Paddy's weekend, or would it be a nightmare?

What the parade like in Galway?

Good pubs / clubs / restaurants?

Areas to keep away from.

Must do's, etc.

Or, can you recommend any other good (Cheap) accomodation closer to the centre.
    Hotels, or B&B's
    Not so much hostels, cos all you generally get are bunk beds.

Basically, I'm looking for any info you can think to tell me, or maybe you wouldn't recommend Galway at that time of year at all, if not, where would you recommend?

Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's a travel lodge/Inn one of the two about a 5 minute walk from the city centre and has good services nearby (subway across the road, huntsman bar/resturant around the corner and eye cinema). All hostels have private rooms too so I wouldn't over look them. You'd want to find something quick though I did a quick search on hostelworld.com (they list all budget accomodation not just hostels) and there's slim pickings.

Once you get into eyre square just head down shop street and on towards the spainish arch and you'll find enough bars and resturants to keep you entertained for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Thanks Scumlord.

I've stayed in several hostels in the last few years, actually Sleepzone in Galway city too, & I've only ever stayed in private double rooms (call me snobby!!:D), but they've still always been single bunk beds with an ensuite.

Maybe I'm picking the wrong ones, but I was beginning to think that's how they all are.

Checked out the Travelodge, it's a bit pricey for that weekend too.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thinking of staying the the Ibis, but it seems to be a right distance out of town.
    Is it really, or could you walk it easy enough?
    Would it be safe to walk, or would it be dodgy?
    You'd be better off in one of the B&Bs along College Rd or Fr Griffin Rd. Walking distance and quite safe

Are taxi's easy to get in Galway city, especially on Paddy's weekend, or would it be a nightmare?
    Will be very difficult. You'd be better off finding some where to stay in city centre so you can walk everywhere

What the parade like in Galway?
    OK like. Nothing like NY etc but nice

Good pubs / clubs / restaurants?
    All along Shop street

Areas to keep away from.
    Nowhere

Must do's, etc.
    Listen to trad music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sleepzone is very good - a couple of friends of mine stayed in one of their double room/apartment things last year and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Food & Entertainment - a variety throughout the city centre

Taxis - brutal

No-go areas - Supermacs in Eyre Square at 3am!!!

Parade - don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

The Ibis is only a short walk form the centre of town, it's right beside Dunnes stores and it's literally only 5 mins walk form the city centre. The only place to avoid is Supermacs in eyre square as someone posted before. Quay Street, Shop Street and Spanish Arch would be the best places to find a good pub or place to eat, there is always a good buzz around the city on Paddy's Day so i'm sure you won't be dissapointed. As for taxi's Big O's has the largest amount of cars in Galway, although it would be hard enough to get one on such a busy day, it will be cheaper and faster to walk the short distance back to the hotel :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement