Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New flyer - Which plane?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Im new to this particular forum so - hi all!

I thought it would be 5 minutes well spent by posting this as you lot seem to know your stuff. So - to the point... Im a soon to be noob model flyer (i have some previous experience though a loooonnnng time ago unfortunately). Ive contacted the flying club and know what theyre about and shall, hopefully soon, go visit them at their site - Ive also contacted the model shop and sort-of know what the costs will be.

Question is though, which model?

Im hoping to fly glowfuel planes, and have seen a couple of trainers on the Green site. So as far as i can tell I have 2 or 3 options, and im wondering what everyones opinion would be. Firstly though let me say, i intend to take instruction as advised and im patient so in no hurry to fly independantly (which may negate the need for a small electric plane like the easystar?).

Options:

Cessna 152 or 40 - possibly a bit expensive and pretty to be learning to fly on. Im not useless at repairs however, wouldnt want to risk it quite so much first time out...not sure about prices on either though.

Arising Star, Boomerang, or Transit - these are obviously greens favoured trainers, but im as yet a little unaware of the pros or cons of each.

So I was hoping for someone to shed a little light on these for me? As ever - Im looking for price to risk balance too you know? But not too noob-istic so as to stop enjoying the plane in the event that I actually turn out to be able to fly the bugger!

Many thanks guys...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I would not suggest the "expensive" type of cessna ... the ones with a nice enclosed cowling to get started off with.
    An enclosed nose can be fiddly with glow engines at first.

Many beginners are spending lots of time tinkering with and learning to tune their engine, and this makes the lower cost Cessna ... the type with "open nose" preferable for this stage of the learning to fly period.

Of the 3 mentioned, the Boomerang is quicker, and the more useful on a windy day (=penetrates a head wind easier).

So long as you have an instructor laid on and handy - don't worry about crashes for now. They generally begin later on after you can fly and think you don't need him any more ! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Thanks for your response coolwings. I hadnt thought about the cowling before actually, so nice tip there regarding the cessna.

I hadnt realised the boomerang was quicker, so i suppose hat would make it the more attractive option - since in a few months time i would think anyone would be craving a little more speed from their trainer...?

Let me ask this though - i listed the options above basically because they were the ones listed on the Green site as favoured trainers - but what would you recommend? Are these the best options, or is there a whole range i ought to be looking at choosing from?

Well I started with a 45 engine in a high wing plane called a Highboy.
    All the models you mentioned are recently developed, nicer, strong, and a lot less weight than that. So no problems with any of them.

But I have made a sort of transition to mainly electric planes over the dozen or so models since then. So if you asked me first, I would say Daisy, or Mini Mag for my personal up to date fave 1st planes!

But for a glowfuel approach what you mention will do fine, and the lads will add their own favourites to the list too.

It's no harm to choose a trainer that is popular where you plan to fly, because more familiarity from the instructors and pals there, leads to a quicker learning. So the local club preference in trainers can be allowed to affect your choice a little bit too.

Truth is - there's not many bad ones about nowdays. They are all ok - just some will suit your place, or type of flying more than others.
    eg a small trainer will have small wheels, not good for grass, but demanding of a tarmac runway which you might or might not have.
    Or a Mini Mag (with the wheels left off) could belly land niceand softly in long grass where no runway of any kind is available, and so on...
    For most Irish clubs the 40 or 60 size trainers would be most "common" choice.

A great setup is a lightweight 60 trainer like eg the Graupner Trainer 65, but with a performance 50 engine in it. Lighter than the book says, flies just as well, burns less juice so flights are longer, but mostly nice innards - the "50" to move into future aerobatic models when the trainer is long dead and forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Ah i see what you mean - having spent a fair bit of time browsing over all the trainers, i cant really see too much of a difference in them at all! I see now it really does only come down to what you put in them and would be able to carry over to your next plane... (but for anyones mrs. reading this - "no darling...ill only ever need the one - honest.")

Good point regarding area - I suppose it would be best to stick with whats more familiar so I reckon ill just go for the Boomerang and be done with it. Ive read so much and looked at so many planes now im getting bored looking, and I guess its that stage now where buying something is preferable to agonising over buying the wrong thing! Wrong be damned.... we want flight!

Out of interest mate, whats your take on the electric v glowfuel thing. Why did you go electric?

Well I still have some glow models.
    Offroad Buggy.
    Aerobatic CAP (Red Bull type) plane.

But yes ... generally electric.
    Combination of reasons....
    Sub 1Kg models that break less ... I mainly taught myself to fly on them.
    Convenient "switch-on" setting up
    No puddles of funny smelly stuff on carseats/carpets
    Modern models. Jets cost less in electric than either kerosene turbine or 2-stroke fan.
    Simpler.

Later on I also found electric suits planes where the engine is to be switched on and off during flight. I happen to enjoy soaring a lot with propeller models PSS style in the mountains, and the 400 size electric (= 3/4 metre - 1 metre span) suits small fighters with a folding prop. So it suited that and I suppose that sealed it for the majority of my new models after a certain point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement