Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom or Digiweb

Options
  • 12-02-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Hi stuck on weather to get Eircom or Digweb broadband and telephone package in Limerick. Does anyone have Digiweb in Limerick? If so, is it any good? Thinking of going with the 3MB package.
    We've just moved into a new house and the phone line is already installed. If I get Digiweb, it'll be cheaper each month but I'll have to pay €90 installation, and with eircom (2MB bundle) they just have to switch on the line and I'm away.

Which will I get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Baldie wrote:
    Hi stuck on weather to get Eircom or Digweb broadband and telephone package in Limerick. Does anyone have Digiweb in Limerick? If so, is it any good? Thinking of going with the 3MB package.
    We've just moved into a new house and the phone line is already installed. If I get Digiweb, it'll be cheaper each month but I'll have to pay €90 installation, and with eircom (2MB bundle) they just have to switch on the line and I'm away.

Which will I get?

Depends on what you use it for.

Eircom will probably be more reliable during peak times, although more costly, You will NOT get 3mb with Digiweb in Limerick, unless its 3 or 4 in the morning.
    Their contention during peak times is terrible.
    However packet loss has improved dramatically, Digiweb used to be about 7% packet loss on average for me, its now hanging around 1%.

Personally never had eircom, even if I could get them I wouldnt, due to their screwed up business practices, but from what I have heard they are reliable enough.

If you have a choice between landline and wireless, choose landline any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you even use credit card to pay for a year Digiweb and get free install, then you still save out of the 90 Euro, as long as you don't take too long to pay off the CC.

I have Digiweb Metro in Limerick since Nov 2005. One or two short hiccups more than year ago and fine since. Eventually we got rid of eircom and the saving just on line rental pays our two mix packs on Sky.

Upload I think is faster on Digiweb Metro.

There is of course no 100% G'tee that DSL will work on eircom line, nor indeed that you would have Line Of Sight for Metro Radio.

You don't have to get the DSL on phone line from Eircom. UTV, BT, Digiweb etc all supply it. In some Limerick areas you can get the faster Magnet ADSL2.

Here outside city we can't actually get DSL anyway and Line rental + calls was costing sometimes over 100 Euro a month on Dialup Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Jumpy wrote:
    Depends on what you use it for.

Eircom will probably be more reliable during peak times, although more costly, You will NOT get 3mb with Digiweb in Limerick, unless its 3 or 4 in the morning.
    Their contention during peak times is terrible.

However packet loss has improved dramatically, Digiweb used to be about 7% packet loss on average for me, its now hanging around 1%.

If you have a choice between landline and wireless, choose landline any day.

Eircom only might be more reliable. I know people who have ditched bad DSL services in Limerick for Metro. Depends on line quality.

Contention can be bad on eircom too. With Digiweb it may depend which wireless sector you are on. Also some unscrupulous landlords have installed a domestic Digiweb Metro and shared it to and entire student block. Then if there is a P2P user they only get dialup speeds as it is shared with maybe 10 to 20 other students!

My packet loss is less than 1%, but it may vary with sector or how good your signal is. Indeed there was a period (a few weeks) last year of about 6% loss.

Pings are generally similar on both (< 45ms) unlike IBB ripwave in Limerick where I have seen 1850ms pings!

Sadly over 60% people don't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

watty wrote:
    Eircom only might be more reliable. I know people who have ditched bad DSL services in Limerick for Metro. Depends on line quality.

Contention can be bad on eircom too. With Digiweb it may depend which wireless sector you are on. Also some unscrupulous landlords have installed a domestic Digiweb Metro and shared it to and entire student block. Then if there is a P2P user they only get dialup speeds as it is shared with maybe 10 to 20 other students!

My packet loss is less than 1%, but it may vary with sector or how good your signal is. Indeed there was a period (a few weeks) last year of about 6% loss.

Pings are generally similar on both (< 45ms) unlike IBB ripwave in Limerick where I have seen 1850ms pings!

Sadly over 60% people don't have a choice.

Im on a different transmitter area to you watty I think. When the major problems I was having a while back were posted up here, you werent seeing them, but others on my side of the city (Castletroy direction) were.

I sadly am one of those without a choice. I would love to be landline again.

Advertisement