Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England 2018

• 12-02-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Anyone fancy their chances? I'd have to say it would be awesome if they got it. I think it's time the world cup came back to England, especially with the new Wembley Stadium, the largest stadium in the world.

If they were to get it, do you think they would want to utilise some of our own facilities? A World Cup clash in Croker would certainly be a spectacle:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If England do get it, and I think it would be a strong possibility seeing as they missed out on last year, then I really can't see them 'sharing' it. If they did I could only see them going for The Milennium in Cardiff.

They have enough places to hold it as it is.

Wembley (if it's finished :D )
    Old Trafford
    New Merseyside Stadium (Stanley Park)
    Emirates
    Villa Park
    St. James'
    City of Manchester

A few more I can't think of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some amazing stadiums in Scotland too in fairness. Mind you, if Villa are still playing in Villa Park in 12 years time I will laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mind you, if Villa are still playing in Villa Park in 12 years time I will laugh :)
    Am I missing something???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If England win the right only England stadiums will be used, no need to give the Welsh or Scots (or Irish) a bone.

Wembley
    Old Trafford
    New Liverpool Stadium
    Emirates
    Villa Park
    St. James Park
    City of Manchester
    Elland Road
    Stadium Of Light.
    Stamford Bridge
    White Hart Lane

Should be enough!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would they really use more than one stadium in one city? I could see it happening in London due to the sheer size of the place but I would doubt there'd be too many London stadiums used.

I suppose if they saved Wembley just for the opening match + final then the Emirates and one other London stadium would be used. I would be very suprised if matches took place in both Old Trafford and the city of Manchester Stadium. World Cup = big money. They'll have to share that around the country as evenly as is possible without jeapoardising the quality of the venues being used.

• Advertisement

True only one Manc venue would be used, as for geographic spead there would'nt be a game south of the M4. No decent sized stadiums.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Good point, so assuming 8 stadiums, perhaps...

Wembley
    Old Trafford
    New Liverpool Stadium
    Emirates
    Villa Park
    St. James Park
    City of Manchester
    Elland Road
    Stadium Of Light.
    Stamford Bridge
    White Hart Lane
    St. Marys (30K seater ?)

Elland rd would be used I'm sure, Leeds is the other side of the Pennines from Manchester and would take in the big Sheffield and Bradford populations.

Mike.

Hmmm, WC2006 had 12 venues.

England will need more venues in the South (not London). Perhaps Reading or Portsmouth will be newer stadiums by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If they wanted to maximise revenue from ticket sales I could see Cardiff being used. Wales isn't officially a seperate country anyway, although having said that England isn't an official country either.

How does this sort of thing work though? For use of Cardiff in the past they've had to pay the WRU for use of the stadium. If they were to use Old Trafford etc. for the world cup would they have to pay a similar amount to Man United?

As for needing more stadiums in the South. I know for Germany that a few stadiums were renovated purely for use during the world cup and this was paid for by the DFB I think. Certainly wasn't funded by the clubs themselves, or at least not entirely. I'm guessing the stadiums were then used free of charge for match day and the clubs get to use the newly renovated stadiums after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cant see any reason to use the stadium of light as well as St James.

SofaKing wrote:
    Hmmm, WC2006 had 12 venues.

England will need more venues in the South (not London). Perhaps Reading or Portsmouth will be newer stadiums by then.

I thought I heard somethign a while agoabout Reading looking to expand the Mdjeski.

I'd think.

Wembley
    Old Trafford
    Anfield 2
    St James
    Emirates
    (Expanded?) Stamford Bridge/New Chelsea Stadium
    (Expanded) Madjeski - Assuming Reading get a foothold in PL.
    New/Rebuilt/Expanded Villa Park
    Elland Road/Ewood Park?
    St. Mary's

Pompey would be in a new stadium by then I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, a major problem England will have is the complete and utter failure that was Euro96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Stekelly wrote:
    Cant see any reason to use the stadium of light as well as St James.

I thought I heard somethign a while agoabout Reading looking to expand the Mdjeski.

I'd think.

Wembley
    Old Trafford
    Anfield 2
    St James
    Emirates
    (Expanded?) Stamford Bridge/New Chelsea Stadium
    (Expanded) Madjeski - Assuming Reading get a foothold in PL.
    New/Rebuilt/Expanded Villa Park
    Elland Road/Ewood Park?
    St. Mary's

Pompey would be in a new stadium by then I'd imagine.

Newcastle and Sunderland aren't big enough to warrant two stadiums up there, so I guess only one would be used.

Reading have applied for permission to take the Mad Stad up to about 35k, so that would be an ideal ground.

Pompey have planning permission for a 35k ground at the site of fratton park but are looking to build a 50k seater ground elsewhere in the city, but 2018 is only 11 years away and we have been waiting for a new ground for the last 20 years, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.:rolleyes:

offering to use Landsdowne Road, the Millenium Stadium or Celtic Park would secure another vote for England though, so it may not be that mad an idea. Maybe one of the groups could bebased in Cardiff and Dublin, travel between the two is fairly easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Dont forget the new olympic 2012 stadium which would presumably have at least 70000 seats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The reason England didn't get the bid was actually to do with their stadiums. Apparently Old Trafford and New Wembly are the only stadiums in England that meet the credentials of being World Cup class stadiums. Why? Because of the space required for the media and the sponsors which all the other stadiums, including Emirates, doesn't have apparently. I'm not too sure Croker would have them, and not sure about Celtic and Rangers either. I think the Cardiff stadium would probably have them, but i"m not sure. This is Englands problem.

Newcastle and Sunderland aren't big enough to warrant two stadiums up there, so I guess only one would be used.
    Would be mad not to use both stadiums - they both have huge capacities.

PHB: Do you have any links for that? Sounds interesting.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Well, a major problem England will have is the complete and utter failure that was Euro96.

In what way

Mike.

SofaKing wrote:
    Would be mad not to use both stadiums - they both have huge capacities.

As has been said, the reason not to use two satdiums in th eon ecity (or very colose ones) is to make sure there is a spread. Otherwise they could pretty much just hold the whole tournament in London.

mike65 wrote:
    In what way

Mike.

1) Total disinterest in the tournament from locals barring their own side. Most games were played in front of half-empty stadia barring England's and Scotland's games.

2) The large-scale violence that marred some of England's games. Inside or outside the stadium, FIFA (and UEFA) don't like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB wrote:
    The reason England didn't get the bid was actually to do with their stadiums. Apparently Old Trafford and New Wembly are the only stadiums in England that meet the credentials of being World Cup class stadiums. Why? Because of the space required for the media and the sponsors which all the other stadiums, including Emirates, doesn't have apparently. I'm not too sure Croker would have them, and not sure about Celtic and Rangers either. I think the Cardiff stadium would probably have them, but i"m not sure. This is Englands problem.

Rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Stadia_List

• Advertisement

Cool, theres a page which shows the problem afaik.
    England only have 2 5 star stadiums, Scotland do indeed have two, Croker isn't rated. Compare to the Germany who have 5. Apparently this is the reason why they keep getting rejected, because the World Cup would lose lots of money over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Germany may have 5, 5 star ones now, but I bet they didn't before they won the bid. And I would expect that England would manage to create/upgrade some of their four star ones if they won the bid as well :)

I'm sure they would if they had been told why they were rejected, and I'm sure in the next bid, that they will have this in their proposal. That said, making the 5 5 star stadiums in Germany cost the same amount as New Wembly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

The above statement contradicts itself. You say that England lost the bid because they didn't have any 5 star stadiums. And yet Germany only made their 5 star stadiums after they had won the bid o_0

The new Wembly did cost a small fortune, but it doesn't half look *lovely :)

*In my opinion

http://www.wembleystadium.com/pressbox/presspack/images/default.htm

The new Wembly did cost a small fortune

Jimbo,

If you think the new Wembley cost a "small fortune", please ring Tolka Park straight away and make a pledge. There are people waiting to take your call!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Zebra3 wrote:

2) The large-scale violence that marred some of England's games. Inside or outside the stadium, FIFA (and UEFA) don't like it.
    I must have slept through this - all I remember was the scuffle after the German game.

On a seperate issue, Wembley is technically not in London, it's in Middlesex. It's further away from West Ham than The Stadium of Light is from St James' Park.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    I must have slept through this - all I remember was the scuffle after the German game.
    So must I.
    I recall stories about the wing mirors of German cars being broken in an area of London after that game. Sad yes, but hardly widespread violence.

Zebra3 wrote:
    1) Total disinterest in the tournament from locals barring their own side. Most games were played in front of half-empty stadia barring England's and Scotland's games.

I remember a few half empty stadiums, but I thought generally it was a success.

As for the violence, it was no worse than you would see in Temple Bar on a Friday night. Compare it with the violence in Germany last year, France, Portugal etc and Euro96 was probably one of the quietest football tournaments in recent history.

I remember a few half empty stadiums, but I thought generally it was a success.

Most games were played in front of half-empty stadia. England doign well may have given you the inpression that it was a success, but for those involved in running UEFA and FIFA, sell-out games equal hard cash, and that's what helps win votes.

So no-one remember the large scale violence surrounding the England-Scotland game in Trafalgar Square?

• Advertisement

I dont remember any tournament thta played all games to sell outs. The last world cup had huge pockets of empty seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Big stumbling block for the irish stadiums in ever getting 5 star stadiums
    Clear signage that everyone can understand inside and outside the stadium, as well as in its immediate vicinity.

When has anyone ever, seen clear signage in ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You mean a sign saying

Stadium
    an stad

when leaving the airport isn't enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it would be great for us from a tourism point of view, if we upgraded our training facilities then qualifying countries could use us to train, the eircom league could also piggyback the publicity of training here to increase their fan base

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    In terms of physical size, I believe it is, but not in terms of capacity. 90,000 makes it one of the largest in Europe and that's all.

You should see the it, it looks like an alien mother ship has landed beside the North Circular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i can see it from my office. and im on the otherside of heathrow.
    its pretty impressive.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2015555,00.html

Excellent article in FourFourTwo on the new Wembley. Have to admit it looks impressive. Very much like a bigger version of the Luz.

Advertisement