Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one else having problems with NTL Today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah Exactly when you are paying for a 6 Mb line , the least you expect is to get 6 Mb!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Slow in Baldoyle too.

This is really rediculous, it better be because they are changeing onto inex or something that will give us a better service at the other end of this turbulant period!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dariukas

Upload is good enough... download half the speed i'm paying for...

86413977.png

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Really , it must be waterford then. I was downloading a file and I was only getting 20 KB/s, at one stage it was so bad it was taking ages for web pages to load.

Its a dog in Galwy too...

-=- RintPete

• Advertisement

yeah your upload is very good. My sown speed is so bad that it took five minutes for the test to start, and heres the result!!!

86428610.png

As you can see my connection is absolutley zipping along. NOT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Galway is horrible right now

that's really bad tbh... 100ms... and 50kbps... it makes me laugh.... u should really ring them and ask what's the story... did u try to download anything from heatnet ftp? if you did what sort of speed do u get ?

86434208.png

No I havent tried heanet, thats been really slow for me for the last 3 or 4o months. I use this site to test speed , i fint it really good.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/downloadsetup.zip

I was gettin 6 KB/s earlier on. Im getting 1KB/s now!!!!

• Advertisement

any time i do speed test i get ~3.5mb/s down and 500kbps up.... Seem for me in galway it's ok.. Just pages are loading really slowly... :(

btw from your link i was only getting 14.5 kb/s ...

Boards is acyually loading quickly for me now, but i still havethat crappy download speed. Which tests are you using? did you try the file I suggested?

Yeah that is not accurate, try the link I gave you.Tell me what you get.

the link you gave me does't load up now :rolleyes: but before that i was getting 14kb/s :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

No I havent tried heanet, thats been really slow for me for the last 3 or 4o months. I use this site to test speed , i fint it really good.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/downloadsetup.zip

I was gettin 6 KB/s earlier on. Im getting 1KB/s now!!!!

Despite the speed test recording 3.5Meg that link is currently showing 10-11kB/s. Last week it was over 600 its been patchy this week and tonight its dire - pages load okish but downloading anything is impossible

Hmm thats odd. NTL must really be ****ing around with the way they are routing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dariukas wrote:
    Well browsing net for me is really slow :( especially boards ..
    Boards is often slow because the site can't handle it's traffic too well don't use boards as a benchmark I suggest news.bbc.co.uk as your benchmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My NTL has been down and very slow a lot of the past few days. I'm in Dublin. Seems ok, but slower than normal at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

• Advertisement

****e again tonight.:(

my internet was really bad last night as well... didn't have a chance to use it this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

My NTL 6mb and TV was down all saturday last week, This saturday went off for a good while too. These are only 2 of the many times it has cut out in my area.

Aswel, NTLs always been slow for me for the past few months loading alot of websites.. Download speeds are normal 720KB/s but loading times for sites and pings in gaming are s***e. Downloading torrents isn't a bother for me either really but in general the servide is crap!! Always having to feck about with things to get it to work..

Whats the nearest alternative to NTL Speed / price wise? I'm really contemplating switching as I've just about had enough of the crap service...

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

HungryJoey wrote:
    Whats the nearest alternative to NTL Speed / price wise? I'm really contemplating switching as I've just about had enough of the crap service...

Hj

I've been having problems with NTL for a few months now - it's been down quite a bit. The last two days has been painfully slow - have had to hit refresh a few times to get into a website.

I'm thinking of changing to - Eircom €29.99 package looks similiar to the NTL €25 package. My phone is with UTV don't know if Eircom will give me broadband when I don't have or don't want their phone service. Once I have to broadband sorted I'm going to ditch NTL Digital to and go with Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

HungryJoey wrote:
    I've just about had enough of the crap service...

Hj

The Crap service doesn't just stop if you leave NTL, in some cases it can only get worse............:mad:

My service speed seems to be back to normal except that NTL appears to be throttling torrents:

bt_feh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Oh Jesus at least blur the names of the torrents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

BitTorrent has been known to stall when trackers are put under heavy strain by massive releases that are hammered by both the leechers and the authorities. Half the leeching world is probably trying to grab a copy of 'that' right now. You might be running into that. It could well be a combination of the two.

I downloaded something (legitimate) this afternoon on NTL that was using official mirrors. It flew along.

I suppose if the speed magically jumps up for you at about 4am then you'll know it's a local NTL issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

mr_disc wrote:
    The Crap service doesn't just stop if you leave NTL, in some cases it can only get worse............:mad:
    I supose you are right, As one of the reasons I switched to NTL from Eircom, Apart from the huge speed increase... was the fact that I was having issues with my Line ever since eircom went from 512k to 2mb.

But then again I thought I might go back to them but I reall will miss my fast downloads.

I see people are having issues downloading torrents ? All I can say is my NTL connection is having no issues at all downloding torrents.. Download quite fast providing I am using a decent torrent service and not crap torrents... I never use crap torrents from public sites anymore so I can't really compare.

Hj

• Advertisement

BitTorrent has been known to stall when trackers are put under heavy strain by massive releases that are hammered by both the leechers and the authorities. Half the leeching world is probably trying to grab a copy of 'that' right now. You might be running into that. It could well be a combination of the two.

I downloaded something (legitimate) this afternoon on NTL that was using official mirrors. It flew along.

I suppose if the speed magically jumps up for you at about 4am then you'll know it's a local NTL issue.

I don't know, I'm getting full speed for regular downloads and general net use, yet all of my torrents are muck.

Advertisement