Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening English Bank Account

Options
  • 12-02-2007 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

I am moving to London shortly and would like to open a current account with an English bank.

Who has the best rep?

Is there any way I could have an a/c set up before I go over? (Does an Irish bank have any type of affiliate scheme that would allow me to open a UK one while I'm still here?)

Any other other tips would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It really depends what your looking for from a bank, but tbh sometimes its just hard and I'd recommend the first bank you can find to accpt you..switching a few months down the line is easy if you then find as better deal.

www.moneysupermarket.com is good for comparison. I'm with Nationwide and find them pretty good, it must be said.

There isn't any "affiliate" scheme that I know of, so I doubt you'll get one set up unless you have a place to stay sorted already and can get some stuff (bills, bank/credit card statements) etc sent there in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

You can open a HBSC Passport account, they charge you 60pounds for the year but you can have iot open before you go over, which will save a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What about transferring money from an english account to an irish account with respect to paying a mortgage. What's the best solution for this in the light of getting charged the least amount of money for an international transfer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've been with Natwest and Nationwide. Look for high interest accounts but be careful that the high interest rate doesn't revert after a few months!

Look at this site :)

Oh and start posting on boards.org.uk! We are hoping to have a "boards bowling and beers" night in London, either April or May. Could be a great way to meet a few people and get more advice :) Everyone there is very friendly, particularly the SMods ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im over in the Uk and opened a Llyods TSB account. No hassle at all all i needed was my passport.

I got a plus account which includes AA roadcover and mobile phone insurance for a charge of 2pound a month till november and then 7pound a month after that (I'll change my account to basic then so it will cost nothing!)

Next to get my NI number

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I went for Lloyd's myself as well. No hassle at all. They do send you an unmerciful amount of post though.

Don't know if you are aware of it but they provide quite a handy balance update service via text - you can choose the day and time. Their online banking is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Since you guys are all living in the UK, I thought I'd share this link.

Moneysavingexpert. I found it useful when choosing both my broadband and my bank account. Didn't use it yet for gas and electricity. There's also plenty of bargain alerts.

If you're looking for UK broadband, check out this thread.

Advertisement