Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Tubulars?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

....anywhere around the city that repairs tubs.
    Looking to get a TT bike but would prefer tubs to clinchers.......supposed to be much faster.
    Obviously never repaired one myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

According to Sheldon:
    Tubulars are very much harder to repair once punctured. Most people just throw them away.

Pros and cons:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tubular

Fitting
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

at the risk of wrath from many other stores, I'd suggest popping into cyclogical or cycleways for help on this. Most of the other stores will never have seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LOL I asked in cycleways once for bar end shifters for my TT bike and the sales guy tried to convince me that there was no such thing - since that I've less faith in there.

Cyclelogical probably won't fit them for you but they are knowledgable enough in the area. I found the big bloke helpful in there, can't remember his name.

But I digress - generally you don't repair tubs, if they puncture you bin them. You can get them on the cheap from the UK (I got 3 conti tubs for the price of one here). Generally you put the tubs on your race wheels and train on your training wheels so its not that costly an exercise.

Victorias are sh*te they shred to bits. Watch out for the ultra lightweight tyres, if you're racing in ireland the surfaces aren't suitable.

Make sure that you get an old tub rim from a bike shop and stretch the tyres for a few weeks before hand on them.

As for the glue versus tape debate...........

Advertisement