Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drum n Bass...

• 12-02-2007 7:07pm

...was at a few parties with Czechs, Slovaks etc. over the weekend. They go crazy for drum n bass, got 7 hours of it Sat night. Wasn't really into it 10 years back. Now I want to catch up. Have some stuff by Goldie and Roni Size. Can anyone recommend a good compilation of the stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Hey I'm not mad up to speed on dnb myself but a great place to look is http://www.irishdrumandbass.com/ if you want to see what Irish people are up to. I've never been good at actually going to events myself which is a shame since I'd probably enjoy them (and there's always the problem of scenes being hard to get into people wise), but there are a couple of DnB nights such as Backlash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

...was at a few parties with Czechs, Slovaks etc. over the weekend. They go crazy for drum n bass, got 7 hours of it Sat night. Wasn't really into it 10 years back. Now I want to catch up. Have some stuff by Goldie and Roni Size. Can anyone recommend a good compilation of the stuff?

Look no further than this mate http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drum-Bass-Arena-Classics-Goldie/dp/B000CQKXVS
    can recommend many more as well :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Theres lots of different types of drum and bass really. A few popular names anyway Dillinja, Bad Company, Dom and Roland, Decoder, Dieselboy, Ed Rush and Optical, Pendulum, Adam F, LTJ Bukem, Alex Reece, Photek, Peshay. Someone posted a decent link to some mixes a while ago. Have a look for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

irishdrumandbass.com is a group of about 20 people who seem to think they own drum and bass
    bassbin are an irish record label who are very well respected in the dnb scene but again, they only repersent a tiny section of dnb imo

youd probs find a wider selection at breakbeat.co.uk or dogsonacid.com

even check true playaz, metalheadz, hospital records, websites etc

Conor if you use Soulseek PM me mate ive loads of Drum & Bass in my Soulseek folder.

Naked Lepper check your PM's mate.;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pointers.

Don't have soulseek, johnny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love certain types of DnB. One of my favourite tunes is Breathing Light by Nitin Sawhney (ignore the gimp in the video)

[cm]tyranny is a big DnB officiando so maybe if he's about he could recommend some good stuff to the OP. And actually, if he or anybody could recommend some DnB in the same vain as the music in the the link I posted I'd be most grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

here's a wee mix i recorded a little while ago...

these tunes are all on the breakier, choppier melodic tip, bit more spacey than i'd normally play in a club... bit of a mix of old and new, the mix starts out all guns blazing and gradually gets smoother and more chilled towards the end; i prefer doing it that way when i record mixes as opposed to playing out :)

executive steve "ladybird breakbeats" mix:::

alaska - archaic - vibe'z
    big bud - tears - paradox music
    alaska - criterion - vibe'z
    hidden agenda - dispatch #1 - metalheadz
    kennedy - quartz - timeless
    dj trax - syncopation - outsider
    d:bridge - love's ugly child - soul:r
    seba and paradox - rememberance - secret operations
    hidden agenda - far out - metalheadz
    d:bridge vs. calibre - hot flush - exit.vs
    seba and paradox - it's all love - paradox music

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KULCKMT6

lots of excellent irish producers around, as well as a few great labels; subtle audio down in limerick [http://www.subtleaudiorecordings.com/] are beginning to carve out a serious name for themselves in the more leftfield electronica influenced end of the scene, bassbin as someone already mentioned are doing very well for themselves indeed. there's a few mixes and audio for all their release on www.bassbin.com

in terms of the best producers the scene has to offer at the moment, you want to check out the following:::

breakage - "this too shall pass" lp - bassbin - gorgeous rolling deep dubby stuff, cd version has a cd of downtempo, hip hop and jazz tunes on it as well.

amit - "the never ending" lp - commercial suicide - amit is a bit of an original in dnb, he tends to make tunes that don't really sound like dnb becvause he literally only uses half the amount of drums and ends up making this weird hybrid of techno, reggae, asian music and dubbed out drum and bass... "immortal" and "unholy" and "motherland" are the tunes of his to look for..

calibre - second sun lp - signature belfast's calibre is pretty much the god of the scene when it comes to simple mellow melodic rollers... he's the nearest thing drum and bass has to a dj premier [to put it in hip hop terms] he has a great ear for a sample and a simple groove, has a huge workrate, and never does the same thing twice

beta 2 and zero tolerance - irish double act, early releases on reinforced, have since been on more labels in the last four years than most producers do in a lifetime, everywhere from metalheadz, to renegade, bassbin, counterintelligence... their stuff is always a great half way point between the various subgenres and their tunes always sound really well craffted and creative.

labels to check:::

metalheadz
    bassbin
    paradox music
    outsider
    commercial suicide
    critical
    subtle audio
    offshore
    signature
    soul:r
    secret operations

for dnb clubbing in dublin - best bet is to check www.irishdrumandbass.com for listings. there's regular nights in fraziers, crawdaddy, traffic [nookie 93-94 set tonight!] and the temple bar music centre.

if you like the mix you can catch me in traffic on march the eighth warming up JET LI from cork's PHASE 2 Recordings.

Peace!

Thanks for the pointers.

Don't have soulseek, johnny...

download it mate
    http://www.slsknet.org/

best thing ever for music online

:cool:

Advertisement