Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor - Boy am I mad at them!

• 12-02-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

We moved to meteor as we had a number of problems with O2 the last time we were in America etc so we moved - went into meteor before we left & said I wanted to roam whilst in America & Canada - ok they have no roaming in Canada but if I topped up by €60 & gave them details of my credit card - they told me that the roaming bar would be lifted for 30 days!

Here I am in Canada - it worked perfectly for the first week in America - but here NOTHING! I can not ring anybody!

Does anyone have a land line number for meteor? I have a rather overprotective father & he rings everyday! I will probably have to fork out for a pay as you go Canadian sim card!

Any advice? How the heck does one make & receive calls whilst abroad? I have put over €120 credit on the phone for this trip - now I do not have €60 on my phone at the moment - is this the problem???

Help please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Meteor is useless for roaming. I believe you have to tell them where you are going. Its possible you are only enabled to roam in the US and not Canada.
    However its also possible you have to select a particular service operator.

As for the sim card.. well in the US almost no one uses Sim cards so it could be similar in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

353 1 430 7085* seems to be there international help desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

says on their site just checked that u can roam in canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no problem roaming in the USA for all meteor customers as my other halfs non registered meteor phone allows access to the US networks makes and receives calls ok.

We specificlly requested canada and we went to the bother of travelling to a meteor store to do the paperwork and do the €60 topup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hmm not exactly impartial here but if roaming is a big deal for you, Vodafone seem to be best overall. Was in the states last month for a week and had absolutely no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My sister was roaming in the states only a few weeks ago. Absolutely no problem on O2, and she "only" had to pay 59 cents a minute. As far as roaming rates go, that's pretty reasonable.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you might have to select a certain network for it to work, they say they support cambodia as well on the website and when friends were there for last 2 weeks they couldn't get my txts, meteor customer services couldn't tell me what network they had a deal with and my friends tried all the networks available and none of them worked. Whether the network you might need is available in all areas is another thing. Can say when I was on vodafone I was in canada a lot and had no issues..

Am pretty pissed off with meteor now and am going to move if I see a good offer soon, prob back to vodafone. the trouble I have had with email settings, web settings and the roaming issues just aren't worth the few quid a month I am saving on meteor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Only one network shows up in my list & I do not have access - maybe I should also have specified I have pay as you go not a contract vodafone pay as you go do not allow you to roam - O2 says you can yet I could not make calls I could text & receive calls only - kept telling me to call a customer number but when I tried I had no access!

Now meteor did say I can roam in Canada if I topped up by €60 & filled in a contract with credit card details - yet here I am am & no phone coverage yet it was fine in America! We did buy a $30 pay as you go American phone & that works fine but I can not buy credit here!

Oh welll only 3 days left I will survive!

Yeah the ould RTG and roaming in the states is officially a no afaik. However, I do know a few people who have been able to use their RTG phone but as roaming prices were not officially negotiated, they were charged stupid money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I repeat: O2 prepay roaming works perfectly in the states. You even have access to GPRS. Both on AT&T (previously Cingular) and T-Mobile. And it's only 59 cents a minute to both make and receive calls with per second billing to boot.

I roamed with Meteor once, and will never again! Quite simply it isn't worth the hassle. I am no longer a Meteor customer for that reason, and now have my personal phone with O2. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yeah the ould RTG and roaming in the states is officially a no afaik. However, I do know a few people who have been able to use their RTG phone but as roaming prices were not officially negotiated, they were charged stupid money.

Meteor roaming is perfectly fine in the States. It's pretty expensive and limited to just Cingular, but it is there and it works fine without any 60euro deposit or credit card details (which unfortuntely are there for billing issues). Off the top of my head, it's about 2.50 a minute so stick to texts (which are .39c, if I recall correctly)

O2 have the best prices for America at the moment though.

There ya go.. IF you are using GPRS in America, stick with T-Mobile. Tis the only have decent service.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Good to see that many years later meteor have resolved their incomprehensible and useless roaming procedures (sarcasm). Mrs. Parsi used to be with them but after a few trips in succession where each time they fouled up the roaming she chucked tthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Bond-007 wrote:
    Now meteor did say I can roam in Canada if I topped up by €60 & filled in a contract with credit card details - yet here I am am & no phone coverage yet it was fine in America!

Their are two different types of pre paid roaming with Meteor. At the moment Meteor have a Camel Roaming agreement with several countries(Including America). This means that you can go to America with a pre paid phone and it will automatically switch over to the local network - Theirs no need to top up by €60 or register your credit card.

It seems likely that this is why your phone was able to roam in America and not Canada(where theirs no Camel Roaming agreement in place).

For standard roaming which is available in most countries you need to top up by €60 and register your credit card in order to have the roaming restriction lifted on your account. This is what you were advised to do when you told them you would be roaming in Canada. You did so but it seems as though the restriction was never lifted. It could have been an error by the rep in the store or it could have been a fault with the system but the network coverage in America and Canada is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Meteor roaming strikes again!

When we were heading to Australia, my friend went into one of their stores and asked if she would be able to roam over there or did she have to register for something - after asking around 3 times, she was finally told that because Australia was on the same continent as Ireland, that she would have no problems!!
    She quickly left! Both the shop and Meteor

That's less Meteor roaming than a persons lack of information on geography.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

chrislad wrote:
    That's less Meteor roaming than a persons lack of information on geography.

Or maybe Meteors inability to train their staff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

parsi wrote:
    phone shop training involves specs and tariffs, not geography. when you started your job, did they tell you where australia is?

parsi wrote:

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever said, mate, regarding what you were replying to :)

Advertisement