Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal News website

Options
  • 12-02-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

OK, here's what happened -

I posted a discussion thread on the DN website with some constructive criticism about their website. Two/Three days later, they delete it!!

I thought any kind of feedback was always GOOD feedback. Not so in this case.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I mean, just have a look at it - bad navigation, bad headlines (eg. News 3, cmgdn090207-Old books story), District News is a joke......

And please add a message to the Discussions thread titled "Constructive Criticism".

What do you think of the Donegal News website? 10 votes

Excellent, Flawless.... etc
    0% 0 votes
    Pretty Good - could do with a few minors improvements.
    10% 1 vote
    Average - Needs quite a bit of work to made it worth spending time on it.
    30% 3 votes
    Dreadful, Rubbish... etc
    60% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, if they can't make their own site decent, I wonder how that affects their web design business. I notice the NWIPP Design banner on the homepage.

Maybe they worried that your criticism would affect business of NWIPP Design?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

TBH the site is very poor. Difficult enough to navigate and badly laid out

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

And a link for those of us who've never visited the site before! :)

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/DN/dnhomepage.php/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

bettlebrox wrote:
    And a link for those of us who've never visited the site before! :)

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/DN/dnhomepage.php/

To be fair The Donegal News is the best print newspaper in the North West IMHO, but their website was much better before it was up-downgraded ;) .

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Paddy20 wrote:
    To be fair The Donegal News is the best print newspaper in the North West IMHO, but their website was much better before it was up-downgraded ;) .

P. :cool:

I agree. When I'm back home, I always enjoy reading through the Donegal News. It's a great paper with lots of local news. That's one reason why I'm disappointed in their website. Why can they not show the same level of professionalism that they do with their "print" paper on the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i dont like having to sign up to view news, even if it is free.
    which is why i use bbc for news instead of the irish times.
    But to reiterate the previous points, its an awful site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MolokoKE

I've been catching a few of the comments over the last while and decided to join the discussion thread.

I agree that the Donegal News haven't always got it right in the way the stories are named but I'm not sure they deserve the rather personal comments that are floating about.

What is about this site that offends you so much? :confused:

Admittedly your comment should not have been deleted but I've been a regular visitor of the site for quite a lot of years and this site is a vast improvement.

I think the site although not perfect is still worth visiting!!

I've noticed that since I made my initial comment on the site, there has been some development on its improvement.

Two points that I made that have been worked on....

- the Headlines no longer have the annoying initials of the reporter and date.
    - the District News has been tidied up (but districts still could be alphabetised and what has happened to all the District News anyway?)

They still could use someone to check over spelling mistakes and puncuation though.

thier instead of their

Does anyone else have problems seeing the Euro sign?

And other strange charactors appear from nowhere...
    "Setanta survey shines spotlight onDonegal's sporting favourite"

And to the previous poster (posts-2/joined Feb 2007)-
    It's nice to see some are so easily pleased.:D Giving the website a "Flawless" vote means only one thing - You work for The Donegal News. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 barneyrubble

I agree with Moloko, I'll not go as far as saying its flawless but its a great improvement on the current website. ;)

its a great improvement on the current website. ;)

I agree. I'm not debating that point. I'm saying that if they spent the time to modernise a, what was, dreadful site, then why not do it right? I'm quite happy with the content but there's still a huge amount of room for improvement.

It is a great improvement on their old set-up, just not a fantantic one.

Oh, and MolokoKE and BarneyRubble, welcome to Boards.ie and to the North-West Forum. I just noticed both of you just signed up today. I hope both of you stay active in posting your opinions and other items of interest. :)

• Advertisement

deman wrote:
    Oh, and MolokoKE and BarneyRubble, welcome to Boards.ie and to the North-West Forum. I just noticed both of you just signed up today. I hope both of you stay active in posting your opinions and other items of interest. :)
    Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MolokoKE

Thanks for your kind welcome it's much appreciated but it's a shame that when you post something that doesn't quite agree with the originator that you get accused of working for the company they are slagging!!:(

Another thing, you should check your poll as I didn't vote "Flawless":p

I had a look through the paper itself and noted the same mistakes you mentioned so perhaps the web team are not all to blame!

From your comments above scriptor it would appear that you are at least involved in journalism if not more. User name can sometimes be a give away.

Anyhow I'm not going to allow links to another site for the purpose of potential pimping and as you are a new user I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this occasion but I would suggest that you read the general charter for boards.ie.

A word of caution to other users - just remember that if you are not happy with the content of a post then report it using the report bad post feature and dont go attacking the poster - attack the post if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There is a charter "stickied" at the top of the first page of every forum.

If you look at one or two charters, you will notice that they have quite a few common rules. They are then tweaked to suit the different fora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Michael_Bell

Hi all, nice threads. I check out the donegalnews.com website every week, sometimes Friday – SOMETIMES Saturday but never Sunday – it has been updated.
    Just stumbled along a link directing me from DN to www.boards.ie - so I have been reading this thread… Interesting stuff…
    I admit I like the website, more content and it loads a lot quicker, the structure is ok, not perfect and they could improve it without doubt, but I wonder do they have the resources?
    One point I'll like to throw into the mix... How much is it to read the current online edition? I pay nothing so I am happy ;o) do you? Maybe they could do an Irish News or Belfast Telegraph and charge us expats a fortune to read the content from back home!
    Scriptor… Either you are a frustrated ex employee or still do work for the Donegal News establishment! How else would you know what system they used? Commenting on a website is one thing but getting personal like this obviously suggests an axe to grind.
    All in all I agree with deman but let’s keep this constructive and not insulting!!!

scriptor wrote:
    They have gone from a static site to a live production site which would in my experience receive its content direct from the IQue system.

P.S

I don’t work nor have ever worked for either of the aforementioned NWIPP companies or for MediaSpan or any related company.

You sure?

You two need to chill. :D

scriptor wrote:

Finally, I do have an inside knowledge of what is going on with the development of the website.

Do you? But, you said you had no link with DN or NWIPP Designs? - Must be the new crystal balls on sale?!

If you have no contact with either party how do you have inside knowledge?

Please stop INSULATING anyone, sounds rough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 barneyrubble

Well thank you for the warm welcome :D

Things have heated up in here since last night, must be the INSULATING hehe :p

Looks like the scriptor is a new poster also! can we all give him a warm welcome

"I hope you stay active in posting your opinions and other items of interest." :)

:o

• Advertisement

Its like standing on Killybegs pier - i smell something fishy.

Thread locked till I get to the bottom of this

We are open for business again after a wee bit of spring cleaning of user accounts ;)

Any other new users who post here would be better off visiting the Newbie & FAQ forum before posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Ridire_Dubh

Hate to say it, but it felt like home. Could use a make over? Little more splash? Navigation average as such sites go. But everything can improve. They should try.

The poll is closed on this and I think all has been said that needs to be said.

Im reasonably sure that staff of the Donegal News and the site designers have seen the comments here so they can take them on board and decide themselves what to do.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement