Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God Save The Queen in Croker

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Republican Sinn Fein (RSF), which opposes the peace process, has confirmed it will picket the match.
    'They managed to turn O'Connell Street upside down last year and we were caught napping. They brought hundreds of young men looking for trouble on to the streets. We can't afford for that to happen again,' one senior officer said.

I predict a riot. Sigh :(

If I don't see an extremely heavy Gardai presence that Saturday I will be so fcukin angry. Really, the Guards seem to employ the aul 'Lets hope nothin bad happens lads' policy on every occassion, and then **** breaks loose.

See Landsdown Road 1995, May Day Riots, Love Ulster Riots. Before each of those events, they said 'We can't afford for that to happen again'. Get a clue ffs.

Oh and on topic, you cannot invite a team to play a game and then change the rules - the Welsh officials were 100% wrong for restricting the Kiwis last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

And exactly what rule did Wales change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Gentleman's rule, I'm not looking to get technical.

NZ run through the Haka before every international where permitted, Wales didn't allow them do that last year. I can't remember an occasion before that where the Haka wasn't allowed - if you can then I'll take it on board.

If you invite an international team over to play a game, you must allow them to sing their national anthem*. IMO of course.

*Edit - and if a country has a tradition along with the national anthem then it should be permitted too, as long as it isn't taking the piss of course (like a 10 minute ballad or something). See Ireland's call, NZ Haka, Samoan Haka etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

connundrum wrote:
    I predict a riot. Sigh :(

If I don't see an extremely heavy Gardai presence that Saturday I will be so fcukin angry. Really, the Guards seem to employ the aul 'Lets hope nothin bad happens lads' policy on every occassion, and then **** breaks loose.

See Landsdown Road 1995, May Day Riots, Love Ulster Riots. Before each of those events, they said 'We can't afford for that to happen again'. Get a clue ffs.

Oh and on topic, you cannot invite a team to play a game and then change the rules - the Welsh officials were 100% wrong for restricting the Kiwis last year.
    well, if it's any consolation, I know a guy who was involved in the love Ulster riots and he got 14 months for his part in that a few weeks back. There will be one less lunatic on the streets that day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Only a few lunatics are needed to cause a problem of course.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

As many the poor Aussie and South African player has discovered on a freezing cold afternoon in the lashings of rain, you have to stand around for two Irish anthems because rugby is an all-Irish, politics free sport. Ideally it should remain that way, Croke Park or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maybe if they brought in the armoured tanks again ... ?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, I think it'll be fine, once the fans don't make Dicks of them selves, or a few sneaky hardline GAA people don't get in to cause trouble.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Think it'll be fine also, they're here to play a rugby match and are entitled to play their national anthem before the game.
    If anyone has a problem with it then they're simply stuck dwelling in the past and should either get over the whole thing or do the world a favour and kill themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

connundrum wrote:
    Gentleman's rule, I'm not looking to get technical.

NZ run through the Haka before every international where permitted, Wales didn't allow them do that last year. I can't remember an occasion before that where the Haka wasn't allowed - if you can then I'll take it on board.

If you invite an international team over to play a game, you must allow them to sing their national anthem*. IMO of course.

*Edit - and if a country has a tradition along with the national anthem then it should be permitted too, as long as it isn't taking the piss of course (like a 10 minute ballad or something). See Ireland's call, NZ Haka, Samoan Haka etc.

you are wrong.

Besides why should we respect their glorified morris dance...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

connundrum wrote:
    In fairness, of those you list, the only one that's evidence of Gardai being caught off-guard is the Love Ulster riots.

Lansdowne Road was the British combat 18, who'd spent the previous years doing similar things in other countries. Someone in Lansdowne f*cked up and put them all sitting together on an upper tier. Once the rest of the fans had been removed, the Gardai came in and beat the living ****e out of those scumbags. There was some great footage of that. That occured well before there was any notion of no-fly lists or otherwise blanket-banning people from events, so you can't blame the Gardai for allowing them in in the first place.

The May Day riots had been hijacked. Though they are generally passionate and tense, the march is usually peaceful. That year though (and less-so the year afterwards), they were hijacked by scumbags who were just out to riot. No-one would have predicted that.

I personally couldn't give a toss. It's only a stadium. It's a great f*cking stadium, and it should be shown off to the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

seamus wrote:
    It's a great f*cking stadium, and it should be shown off to the world.

yep I agree. It's about feckin time.

I just think its a shame that the british dont have any clue as to why anyone might not like that idea. Maybe they should hand out flyers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Here here.

But, its not just gonna be rugby fans on the day.
    The GAA made sure that they sorted out their own crowd with tickets. There could be plenty of cork/kerry/(insert county that can play gaa here) mucksavages going in there specifically to act the maggot.

God i hope its not booed. What a shower of idiots we'd look like.

I wouldnt go insulting gaa fans now, seeing as how we are letting you use our ground. the only way you'd really look like a shower of idoits is if we wouldnt share the ground and made you go abroad. youd really look stupid then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm against the British athem being played anywhere in the Ireland, North or South..

I have tickets for the game, will I boo?.

No, and out of respect I'll even stand for it. Although I will feel uncomfortable and can't/won't forget Englands history in Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I would like to think that the Irish people as a whole are mature enough to just treat this situation like any other similar event.

I think we have come some distance on these issues not to phased by what, no doubt, will be small but strident pockets of negativity,and we will be able to treat our guests who,remember,supported us when others let us down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    yep I agree. It's about feckin time.

I just think its a shame that the british dont have any clue as to why anyone might not like that idea. Maybe they should hand out flyers lol

You may be surprised on that one. There is a lot of awareness of the history on Croke Park, but what are you expecting, English people running around shouting about a shamefull day in their history?

and, as I said in the history thread on the same subject, it was the British Army, not exclusively English, so I fully expect a similar debate next year when Scotland and Wales come to Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and, as I said in the history thread on the same subject, it was the British Army, not exclusively English, so I fully expect a similar debate next year when Scotland and Wales come to Croke Park.
    You think idiots care about that?

Sure, aren't the Scots and the Welsh our 'Celtic Cousins'? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We all know who wears the pants on the island of them-across-the-water :)
    Anywhoo the welsh and scots wont play god save the queen so the point is kinda redundant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It was not the "British army". It was auxiliaries. An Auxiliary unit of the RIC made up by mostly ex-British army soldiers de-mobed after WWI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Mairt wrote:
    It was not the "British army". It was auxiliaries. An Auxiliary unit of the RIC made up by mostly ex-British army soldiers de-mobed after WWI.
    Was there a material point to that post?

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:
    I'm against the British athem being played anywhere in the Ireland, North or South..

I have tickets for the game, will I boo?.

No, and out of respect I'll even stand for it. Although I will feel uncomfortable and can't/won't forget Englands history in Croker.
    At a sporting event? Where we're meant to be... Ohh, what's the word... Sporting?

80 years of clear blue water between those days and even the North is at peace now (they apologised for that, as I recall.) We also don't mind taking their money, being our biggest trading partner.

We kicked the living f**k out of one another, and they came off better than we did at the time, but now look, we're richer than they are per capita. Har har. Are we so petty that we'll now go and boo their national anthem, like a big bunch of spoiled rich kids?

What have the Romans ever done for us, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Lock 'em up, I say. Zero Tolerance. Lock up all the druggies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Judt wrote:
    Rugby fans tend to behave themselves a little better than the fans of some other sports we could mention.

Generally yes. But there were alot of fans at the game over the weekend who were not normal or regular Rugby supporters, this was obvious when the French were booed every time they kicked. It was an absolute disgrace. What ever happened to respect? I can bet you England will be booed for this exact reason.

Think the French booing was more due to the fact that the French were booing our kicks (as they always do) I think. Wasn't there so can't be sure.

Also connundrum, you do know that NZ were perfectly entitled to perform the haka, they were just told to do it before the Welsh anthem. NZ refused the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Judt wrote:
    Rugby fans tend to behave themselves a little better than the fans of some other sports we could mention.

we'll see ;)

but whats the big deal, sure there have been union jacks (or part of) flying in croker a good few times now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

If there is any trouble it certainly won't be from any regular rugby fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Funny how Sean Kelly got that job as unofficial minister for sports or whatever he is now after bringing the GAA onside with regards to croke park though.

Bertie never forgets a favour eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They killed 13? Even given the small population of Ireland, thats a damn inefficient genocide what?
    netwhizkid wrote:
    have a English team be allowed into Croke Park after the genocidal ethnic cleansing they did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Look at it this way they are coming to OUR country, respecting OUR anthem in OUR national stadium, where Gaelic Football is played, and in a stadium with history which represents our successfull rebellion against there occupation, so why should we care what song is played to respect them, at least we will be standing for Amhrán na bhFiann, after that who cares what they do. I say let history be history, and I consider myself a real republician. Not one of the celtic jersey wearing thugs who sing rebellion songs.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote:
    We all know who wears the pants on the island of them-across-the-water :)
    Anywhoo the welsh and scots wont play god save the queen so the point is kinda redundant

well the Scots wear skirts.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

You cant say "forget about it, it was all in the past", they are still flying the union jack on a part of this Island - we have unresolved business with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kevin2006 wrote:
    You cant say "forget about it, it was all in the past", they are still flying the union jack on a part of this Island - we have unresolved business with them.
    We can, we did, go away.

Kevin2006 wrote:
    Why don't we march in the 5th Bn and open up on the English supporters? Even the score a little? Would that make everyone feel better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

We can, we did, go away.

I wont 'go away'. If you cant accept a different viewpoint then your own then maby you should 'go away'. The last time I checked message boards were all about debate, not just one-sided PC chin-stroking

At least the English are white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Sangre wrote:
    At least the English are white.

Not all of them! :)

Kevin2006 wrote:

The English aren't the Irish in Northern ireland are.

How many English people (Who will no doubt, be flying the flag of Saint George on the 24th) do you think give a flying rats arse about what flag is flying over the streets of Belfast.

"We have unresolved business with them" is a tad on the aggresive side don't you think? I take it you will be there in your Celtic shirt looking to settle a few scores then:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Judt wrote:
    Why don't we march in the 5th Bn and open up on the English supporters? Even the score a little? Would that make everyone feel better?

Have you no grasp of history at all? It should be the 2nd Cav.:D

• Advertisement

Kevin2006 wrote:
    I wont 'go away'. If you cant accept a different viewpoint then your own then maby you should 'go away'. The last time I checked message boards were all about debate, not just one-sided PC chin-stroking
    Oh, chill! I meant it tongue in cheek!

If you really want to open Pandora's Box, try reading some of the replies in the "some people want to make me vomit out my eyes" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Kevin2006 wrote:
    they are still flying the union jack on a part of this Island - we have unresolved business with them.

off you go

sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

We shouldn't be hassling the Brits about a few dead GAA heads a century ago - nobody gives a toss. It will be a good promotion the statium. Maybe GAA should move to the 55 thou seater Landsdowne when it's built so that all our international games can be held in the far bigger Croker.

Kevin2006 wrote:
    And this time...

It's personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Here, less of the militant nationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

We shouldn't be hassling the Brits about a few dead GAA heads a century ago - nobody gives a toss. It will be a good promotion the statium. Maybe GAA should move to the 55 thou seater Landsdowne when it's built so that all our international games can be held in the far bigger Croker.

Alot of people do give a toss; as do I personally who had two relations murdered by British Security Forces for the great crime of playing Gaelic Football. The English should be ashamed of themselves of what they did in Ireland's finest stadium. Croke Park has all the promotion it needs as it belongs to the GAA and that is how it will stay, The finest sportsmen and women of the country are proud to play there and the performance of Dublin V Tyrone was an example as it was the biggest sporting event in that weekend surpassing the Super Bowl played in the USA.

That is the success of the GAA who built Croke Park from the ground up and it is the finest stadia in Europe. What have the IRFU and the FAI, they have nothing, only problems; they wouldn't have Landsdowne either only Bertie is covering his own ass and trying to brush abbotstown under the carpet and the millions of euros that was wasted and unaccounted for.

The Irish Nation owes the GAA an inexorable debt of honour as without the GAA and the heroic freedom fighters of the Irish Republican Army there would be no Irish Republic. The GAA began the revival of our Native Culture and it was continued and with the War of Independence; Ireland became the first country to bring the British Empire to its knees. Old Soldiers like Dan Keating fought hard to ensure this. The GAA is the bed rock of true Irish society and nothing will ever change this. Croke Park is just one stadium, there is Fitzgerald Stadium, Semple Stadium, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the Gaelic Grounds; all built by an amateur organisation.

The Ludacris suggestion that the GAA (the sons of the gael) should move into Landsdowne Rd, is incomprehensible such short sightedness I can't believe someone suggested it. To give out about the English is nearly a laughable considering there are people here who would have us all abandon our culture and submit to be ruled by Paisley and the British. As someone here on boards once said "never argue with an idiot as they will drag you down to their level and win with experience".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

netwhizkid wrote:
    Alot of people do give a toss; as do I personally who had two relations murdered by British Security Forces for the great crime of playing Gaelic Football. The English should be ashamed of themselves of what they did in Ireland's finest stadium. Croke Park has all the promotion it needs as it belongs to the GAA and that is how it will stay, The finest sportsmen and women of the country are proud to play there and the performance of Dublin V Tyrone was an example as it was the biggest sporting event in that weekend surpassing the Super Bowl played in the USA.

That is the success of the GAA who built Croke Park from the ground up and it is the finest stadia in Europe. What have the IRFU and the FAI, they have nothing, only problems; they wouldn't have Landsdowne either only Bertie is covering his own ass and trying to brush abbotstown under the carpet and the millions of euros that was wasted and unaccounted for.

The Irish Nation owes the GAA an inexorable debt of honour as without the GAA and the heroic freedom fighters of the Irish Republican Army there would be no Irish Republic. The GAA began the revival of our Native Culture and it was continued and with the War of Independence; Ireland became the first country to bring the British Empire to its knees. Old Soldiers like Dan Keating fought hard to ensure this. The GAA is the bed rock of true Irish society and nothing will ever change this. Croke Park is just one stadium, there is Fitzgerald Stadium, Semple Stadium, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the Gaelic Grounds; all built by an amateur organisation.

The Ludacris suggestion that the GAA (the sons of the gael) should move into Landsdowne Rd, is incomprehensible such short sightedness I can't believe someone suggested it. To give out about the English is nearly a laughable considering there are people here who would have us all abandon our culture and submit to be ruled by Paisley and the British. As someone here on boards once said "never argue with an idiot as they will drag you down to their level and win with experience".
    Its people with this sort of mentality that will stop there ever being peace on this island, put down your history book, and get off the soap box, welcome to the 21st century were real republicians dont give a **** anymore. Try reading the Good Friday Agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i'm pretty sure theres a good portion of the accounts on boards that are owned by clockwork toys.
    Just wind them up and watch them go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I started off trying to count the Portentous Capital Letters here (British Security Forces, Gaelic Football, Irish Nation) but then realized I'd have to read the whole post. I'm off to wash my hair.
    netwhizkid wrote:

We'll see what happens. If anything happens.

JaysusMcFeck, you have been trolling here for the past couple of days. Do it agaqin and there will be a lenghty ban.
    I can't believe I have to go and open IE now. damn you all to hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement