Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Live TV and Movies

• 12-02-2007 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I dont have a 360 but I might be getting one and I just want to know does XBox Live in Ireland have the service available yet where you can watch/download HD movies and watch HD TV?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Nope, only America so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

To date it's just in the US, but I've heard rumours that if you register your .NET Passport / Windows Live ID in the US and buy US Microsoft Points (from Amazon.com or similar) you can download the movies, etc.

But be prepared for a l-o-n-g wait - you'll be downloading them from the States so it would take longer than if they were on a local European server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

Any info on if/when this is coming to Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

even with a 2mb line ?? is a 2mb line considered slow for downloading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

even with a 2mb line ?? is a 2mb line considered slow for downloading

No it isn't too slow for downloading. But it would be class if we could get the movies to download here in Ireland without all this messing around.

• Advertisement

No it isn't too slow for downloading. But it would be class if we could get the movies to download here in Ireland without all this messing around.

I fully agree ... but it's almost like ireland (and europe) is an afterthought. If you check out the stuff available on the Xbox Live calendar for the different regions, you see there's gradually less and less updates or stuff

USA - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/calendar/
    UK - http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/community/calendar/
    Ireland - http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/community/calendar/

They don't even bother putting dates on the Irish calendar ... "Ah, sure you can go on and play games can't you"

This same feeling seems to go through all of the Xbox Live stuff for here.
    (Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic console and playing online is brilliant but it feels like we're second class over this side of the pond).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

To date it's just in the US, but I've heard rumours that if you register your .NET Passport / Windows Live ID in the US and buy US Microsoft Points (from Amazon.com or similar) you can download the movies, etc..

Yep true :D
    I opened a new hotmail account, registered it in the US and connected to Xbox Live via it and I have access movies / tv shows ect. :cool:

And the download speeds are not too shabby @ all

Mik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I cant buy M$ points on Amazon though? Says it cant ship them to my location.

Think I'll have to trawl Temple Bar for an unsuspecting American girl.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Sorry but regarding video on the 360, I converted an avi file to wmv and put it on my usb pen drive, my 360 wouldnt recognize the video, Is there supposed to be an option in video to look for files on a device? I havent updated my 360 at all yet, is this the problem, or is it because I have other files on the devie which cant be recognised by the console so it doesnt allow the video to be recognised either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Is it legal buying the content and is it still possible to do this because i thought Microsoft was blocking this?

• Advertisement

I just checked out the American Xbox live.They have so much we dont have.They have about 7 free borat videos and free borat theme and gamer picture,3 free Good Charlotte videos and a bunch of videos you pay for with points like Friends,South Park,Beavis and Butthead,Pimp My Ride,the 7th season of CSI Vegas and Jericho.Also a bunch of movies to rent like Jackass 2 and Employee Of The Month.I dont understand why they dont bring it here.The only competition they would have here is Wippit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dman001 wrote:
    I dont understand why they dont bring it here.The only competition they would have here is Wippit.
    Licensing. I doubt its MS stopping it appearing over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dman001 wrote:
    I just checked out the American Xbox live.They have so much we dont have.They have about 7 free borat videos and free borat theme and gamer picture,3 free Good Charlotte videos and a bunch of videos you pay for with points like Friends,South Park,Beavis and Butthead,Pimp My Ride,the 7th season of CSI Vegas and Jericho.Also a bunch of movies to rent like Jackass 2 and Employee Of The Month.I dont understand why they dont bring it here.The only competition they would have here is Wippit.

They are bringing it out here at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

shortys94 wrote:
    Sorry but regarding video on the 360, I converted an avi file to wmv and put it on my usb pen drive, my 360 wouldnt recognize the video, Is there supposed to be an option in video to look for files on a device? I havent updated my 360 at all yet, is this the problem, or is it because I have other files on the devie which cant be recognised by the console so it doesnt allow the video to be recognised either?

As far as I remember, it was an update to allow videos to be played off usb keys, so thats probably it.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Licensing. I doubt its MS stopping it appearing over here.
    But you'd think the tv companies would want to bring it here because of the money they would make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

MS they dont care about europe, its as simple as that. Its the same with vista media center. They have no plans to support dvb-s (satellite tv) even though thats how a lot of europeans watch digital tv and just care about over the air hdtv which is big over in the US. One of major media center employees was asked before about dvb-s support and he didnt even know what it was. MS in germany had to release a hack to get it half working in xp media center ( You would have thought they would have listened to them and add support for this in their vista mce but no...). Also, ppl in the US get addons such as mtv overdrive and other streaming things in their vista media center. While we get nothing at all. Same with that iptv, it'll probably be just for ppl in the US even if european countries have it (big in france atm i think). I doubt we'll ever get any movies on xbox live.

Well i think microsoft teamed up with BT for the iptv so we may get it here

thats BT in the uk who are planning to bring out iptv as far as i know, most ppls phonelines wouldnt be good enough for iptv over here.

thats BT in the uk who are planning to bring out iptv as far as i know, most ppls phonelines wouldnt be good enough for iptv over here.
    But would it not go by broadband not phonelines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dman001 wrote:
    But would it not go by broadband not phonelines?

What do you think most people get broadband by? Washing lines?

• Advertisement

Well i have BT broadband so i am a bit confused by what you mean

basically you wont have iptv unless you can get magnet or eircom fix the phone exchanges or lines or whatever they have to do, and theres a very slim chance of that.

I setup the streaming media with computr, very easy to do. Does anyone have a good fil convertor for video for the 360 as the windows media movie maker is very slow even for bad quality. Also want to have the video fit whole screen(widescreen)

Depending on the power of your PC TVersity (www.tversity.com) can be used to stream media from your PC to the 360.

It even converts (transcodes) some media types on the fly as it is streaming them, so you don't need to worry about that.

It is fairly processor intensive when it is doing that, but most 2GHz machines should handle it. (I only have a 1GHz and it really can't handle it :o)

Thanks fingleberries, head about it but never looked into it, just one question quote:"The Xbox 360 can play live Internet video streams coming from TVersity (no other media server can do that)."
    Does this mean you can watch videos from youtube, how does this work?

Advertisement