Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Appeal

Options
  • 12-02-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Have any of you ever tried to appeal penalty points issued for driving offences?

I ask because I got stopped for going through an amber light,
    but got a fine and 2 point deduction in the post today for 'breaking a red light'

The Guard was fully aware I went through an orange light, as we even had a chat about it.

The only car to go through the red light was them and without flashing their lights and sirens.

I want to appeal as the charge is incorrect.

Any point/advice??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

bobk wrote:
    Have any of you ever tried to appeal penalty points issued for driving offences?

I ask because I got stopped for going through an amber light,
    but got a fine and 2 point deduction in the post today for 'breaking a red light'

The Guard was fully aware I went through an orange light, as we even had a chat about it.

The only car to go through the red light was them and without flashing their lights and sirens.

I want to appeal as the charge is incorrect.

Any point/advice??

Thanks in advance

Amber light means STOP! ,unless you are so close to the line that you cannot stop in safety. look here!http://www.ism.ie/rules_of_the_road.php#rules_traffic
    so it basicly the same as breaking a red light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is not quite an appeal, at this stage. You have the choice of accepting the penalty or going to court and pleading not guilty. If there is a conflict between the guards evidence and yours the chances are that the guards will be believed. If you lose in the District court you can appeal to the Circuit. You run the risk of getting a higher fine plus and get four penalty points rather than two if you ultimately lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I imagine if you appeal it'll be your word against the guard and unless you can produce evidence to support you, you'll more than likely lose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi

Learn from the experience, the garda could say that you continued with-out slowing and only went to stop when you saw Him/Her. On approach to the green light you should have reduced your speed in anticipation of the change.

This is your answer. 2 points is better than 4 and now a better driver.

Advertisement