Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could someone throw an eye over my build?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

hey folks,

could some of you more experienced builders check out this selection of components?

the PC will be used for general usage, music collection (40gig of mp3s), ripping my DVD's to ipod format, .NET development, i may dual boot vista with linux, and possibly some gaming . . not sure about this, but i'll definitley be running a flight sim called x-plane. i think i have the x-plane system requirements covered.

one thing i'd like to get advice on, i've chosen a wireless keyboard and mouse. I've never used these before, is it standard for them to have there own receiver that plugs into the PC? reason i ask is that I have not chosen any bluetooth capabilities, just wondering if i need to add it.

and, will i need the heatsink grease? do the CPU's come with heatsink attached or do i have to attach it?

component list is as follows,
    my pc build

i'd appreciate any advice.

cheers,
    SOP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

#Elites wrote:
    Yep with Wireless mouse/keyboard youl get a receiver for both and they just plug into your pc.

you dont need the greese, there will be some supplied with the E6600.

System looks fine from here..

2gb ram, e6600, average enough mobo, fine harddrive!

only thing is, if you want to be able to play future games, id go for the

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=329215

but for that game listed, that gfx is more then able for it.

Cheers Elites.
    I was thinking i may have to upgrade the graphics card if i decide to go the games route. I'm interested in your comment on the mobo, you said it was average. If you don't mind me asking you, what did you find average, and what would you recommend? I can budget another 100Euro for this build now, and i'd rather put the money into the core components now and if needed, i'll upgrade the gpu later.

thanks,
    SOP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For the tasks out outlined you don't really need anything fancy motherboard wise the 965 chipset is more than enough, if you want something in stock get this MSI 965 board.

X-Plane doesn't looks to have particular demanding requirements though if you plan on using MS FS10 the more power the merrier in the GPU department. For an extra €30 over the 7600GT you may as well get a 7900GS & get better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Thanks lads, I've placed the order now. As you noticed 8t8 the motherboard was out of stock, but the same board with on-board graphics capability only cost another 2.30 euro, and it'll be handy to have the backup of graphics on the motherboard just in case.

I upgraded the GPU to a 7900Gs as you both suggested.

anyway, cheers lads, i appreciated your time in checking out the components and recommending alternatives.

SOP

Advertisement