Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Stupid person Questions

• 12-02-2007 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭

Ok I won't try to hide the fact that these questions are probably really stupid but here goes

1) Can I just buy the Vista Ultimate OEM American version (bout 200dollars) and it wont be any different then buying a European version?
    2) Will most hardware that works with XP work with Vista or is it the other way around that only a few pieces of hardware made recently will work with Vista?
    3) Most importantly .... will all my WinXP software work on vista ... things from DVD decrypter / CuteFTP / small unknown programs like todo list organisers and all them little gems that you find that some kid outa college done... Will they all work with vista or only new vista compatible programs?

And if they wont or will be compatible what percentage of programs do you think will be compatible?

Sorry for the stupid questions but couldn't find the answers anywhere

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

1) You can actually buy an upgrade for less then 100 which will work. Google vista upgrade workaround
    2) There is a online test that you can install (mmm.. Not really online I suppose) from here that will scan your hardware and applications for possible problems.
    3) I haven't come across anything yet that doesn't run, and I use some in house coded software, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

US version is fine. Im going in April so i might pick up some upgrades which will work out at almost the same price as OEM from komplett.
    Well i would be going for Home premium. I have no need for ultimate... do you actually need it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

1) Yes.

2) Yes though don't expect rare hardware to work it might it might not, Vista can use XP drivers for certain low level hardware like printers, scanners, ethernet controllers.

3) The majority will work without any changes however one or two may require a new version to work 100% correctly e.g Firefox 2.0.0.1 works fine but a forthcoming update fixes a few cosmetic bugs and other small items under Vista.

Best thing to do check the existing software you have is up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

You guys have just made up my mind for me :) i'm going for it.

I don't have a valid xp pro key, i could reinstall xp home and put in a genuine key for that but this will be the first OS that i've actually bought haha.

And the difference in oem price for premium and ultimate isnt that much so id rather spend the extra.

One last question, i know its breaking the rules etc but can i install it on my computer and my laptop with the same key and still get windows updates etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

PTL wrote:
    One last question, i know its breaking the rules etc but can i install it on my computer and my laptop with the same key and still get windows updates etc?

No you can't the OEM versions are tied to the motherboard of the computer you install on so you will need to buy two copies if you want it on more than one machine.

You don't really need the Ultimate version unless there is something specific in it you want, the Home Premium version will suffice in almost all cases.

• Advertisement

Thanks 8t8 for the reply, I'm not sure why i want the ultimate version, i supose i was looking at OEM and it was only around 50-60 euro dearer then the premium so thought id go for it. Also i do web developement so wasn't sure which one would suit me best just like xphome has no IIS so thought ultimate would definitly have something to support asp.

And what about if i got the retail version would that mean that i can install it on two machines? (I thought the ONLY difference was no box with OEM, doh)

Or can i do it with the OEM but just don't use the laptop to connect to microsoft updates.

What happens if i install it on a machine and sell the machine without vista installed and get a new computer and try to install it on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

My recommendation is that you wait a few months before plumbing for Vista especially if you're into gaming.
    I had it running on my system for a few weeks and had to go back to XP to play all my games etc.
    Apart from that it's not bad. Some bugs with services stopping themselves etc but not really affecting the OS.
    However you have to be very very very careful when installing drivers etc that are not compatible with Vista. Some of these will result in a BSOD and crash the entire OS.
    Here's one for eg..install the firmware update for the G5 under Vista and this results in a blue screen of death. Not only that but to fix it means a reinstall.
    Of course Vista will tell you that the driver is not compatible for vista but u can override it.
    Another thing is games with Securerom etc on them. These will install a driver on your system to detect any emulation etc. These will also result in a BSOD.

As for apps the only ones I needed to update were PowerDVD,Nero and Norton Antivirus and Daemon Tools..all my other little apps worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

PTL wrote:
    And what about if i got the retail version would that mean that i can install it on two machines? (I thought the ONLY difference was no box with OEM, doh)

Or can i do it with the OEM but just don't use the laptop to connect to microsoft updates.

What happens if i install it on a machine and sell the machine without vista installed and get a new computer and try to install it on that?

The difference between Retail and OEM in this regard is that you can install the retail version on a PC/laptop, and then, if you want to, uninstall it at any time, and re-install it on a different machine. No problem there, activation and updates should work perfectly.

Using OEM software you don't have a license to do that, it only allows you to install the software on one PC/laptop. You're not licensed to uninstall it from this PC/laptop and install it on any other machine. Of course you can still reinstall it on the machine you first installed it on, but even then there's a limit on the number of times you can do that before having to activate by phone. As a previous poster said OEM software is tied to a particular machine; that is whatever one you first installed it on.

Neither Retail or OEM gives you a license to install the OS on two machines at the same time.

If you install OEM Vista on a machine, then uninstall Vista, sell the machine without Vista (that's assuming you'll be able to sell a PC without Vista in a few years :( ), and then install this OEM Vista on another PC you'd be breaking the terms of the OEM license. If you do install it on another PC, during activation you'll probably be asked to phone Microsoft, and you may be asked a few questions like:

* Why are you installing this OS?

* Have you got Vista installed on any other PC?

Depending on your answers, they'll ask you for the product key (you should have this with the software.) Then you'll be given an activation code to enter. Once entered your Windows installation is activated.

wow u hit the nail on the head there, very detailed answer. Thanks for your time

Im guessing the upgrade CD would be the same as the OEM as in tricky to do multiple installs?

I understand that its against the rules and all that but considering it my first time im actually going to pay for the OS i think a little rule bending is ok for me :) Better then if i downloaded it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PTL wrote:
    wow u hit the nail on the head there, very detailed answer. Thanks for your time

Im guessing the upgrade CD would be the same as the OEM as in tricky to do multiple installs?

I understand that its against the rules and all that but considering it my first time im actually going to pay for the OS i think a little rule bending is ok for me :) Better then if i downloaded it.
    NO WAY.

Microsoft make the rules and set the prices. If you don't like them, complain to Microsoft / find an OS you can afford or do without.

If you are a student you may be entitled to an academic version which is cheaper. You can also keep installing the 6 month trial of 2003 server, or download BSD/Solaris/BeOS or many other free OS's. There is also eBay for older copies of windows - just remember you can't buy OEM because of it's non-transferable license.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement