Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'True Story'

• 12-02-2007 11:49pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

'True story' gets thrown into conversations a lot on boards, not as often as 'I have a friend who this happened to' or 'I have an inside source' but often enough. What do you think when you see 'true story' in a post?

When you read 'true story' what do you think? 20 votes

Well, this is obviously not a true story.
    0% 0 votes
    not true, but should be controversial.
    45% 9 votes
    Wow, a true story on boards must read this.
    25% 5 votes
    True, but exaggerated like bejayus.
    30% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ehh..... This thread sucks.

who's gonna be the one to post 'true story'???? Cmon!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

True Story = True, but beefed up to make it a non-sh1t story.

Nobody ever has an inside source.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Alter-Ego wrote:
    True Story = True, but beefed up to make it a non-sh1t story.

Nobody ever has an inside source.

bugger, that's a likely one and I can't add it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DaveMcG wrote:

True story.

DaveMcG wrote:

yeah, messed that up a bit, alter-ego's option should have been
    in there. maybe I can start a poll about whether you should be
    able to edit polls once you have started them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

daveym wrote:
    yeah, messed that up a bit, alter-ego's option should have been
    in there. maybe I can start a poll about whether you should be
    able to edit polls once you have started them...
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'll edit the poll if you want me to.

Terry wrote:
    I'll edit the poll if you want me to.

that's be great.
    how about:

True, but exaggerated like bejayus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I take every story with a pinch of salt, both on teh net and in teh real life. People have a tendancy to stretch the truth in every situation.

I'd generally give someone the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason to doubt them.

I take it that you may have been duped into believing a false story before? Do tell...

connundrum wrote:
    I take every story with a pinch of salt, both on teh net and in teh real life. People have a tendancy to stretch the truth in every situation.

I'd generally give someone the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason to doubt them.

I take it that you may have been duped into believing a false story before? Do tell...

no, it was really brought up by a user over on 'the 'D' reg myth' thread in motors posting a 'true story' which clearly isn't true. I just wanted to see if I was way off and people did think this was a valid way of emphasizing that something was true. Presumably if so you would be on a slippery slope and have to start every story you told with 'true story'.

Like you say generally on boards at least 80% of what you read doesn't scan as true, but sticking true story in front of a statement seems redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

If it was in another forum like Humanities I'd probably be more likely to believe it - Real life accuracy, modesty of descriptions and a balanced story are not why most of us read AH! Excellent forum obviously, but we probably shouldn't read a lot into some the stories... Having said that, I actually can't think of any "serious" threads I didnt believe here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

This one time on boards someone actually made a thread that was worth reading, true story!

Caliden wrote:
    This one time on boards someone actually made a thread that was worth reading, true story!

sounds like an exaggeration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

Claimed true stories are often twisted making it more like fantasy:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've never even seen the term "true story" used on AH tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Please Add the option "True but with scope for Mild exaggeration" as I take "Bejayzus" to mean 'a lot'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Maybe its true,

Maybe its not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"BASED on a true story"?

Hollywood loophole >(

Overheal wrote:
    "BASED on a true story"?

Hollywood loophole >(
    lol yeah
    "there was this guy once, and he lived in this country, and he did stuff..." is about as true as it gets

Overheal wrote:
    "BASED on a true story"?

Hollywood loophole >(

thats another good one, bugger. maybe I should have started a thread looking for options and then done the poll later.

true, but with artistic license taken? or what is the legal thing they put up at the end in law and order. Although inspired by real events resemblance of any character to any person living or dead is purely coincidence..

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    I've never even seen the term "true story" used on AH tbh.

really? do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

The only real truth is what you see with your own eyes - but even then if you were telling the story of what you saw/did you will naturally exaggerate for effect.

Fav programme on TV at the moment is Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction - you have to guess which is true and which is made up.

But even the true ones are 'based' on actual events - and that term can be used very very loosely!!

But some scary stuff on that show :eek:

Trinity1 wrote:
    The only real truth is what you see with your own eyes - but even then if you were telling the story of what you saw/did you will naturally exaggerate for effect.

Fav programme on TV at the moment is Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction - you have to guess which is true and which is made up.

But even the true ones are 'based' on actual events - and that term can be used very very loosely!!

But some scary stuff on that show :eek:

ah, so seeing is believing? hasn't this been overtaken by 'I read it in the paper' or 'I saw it on TV' so it must be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

its on the internet so it must be true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Its on the internet so it cant be true.

Advertisement