Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food going up by 35%!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It won't be long before Concern is running ads on Ethiopian TV asking for just €2 a month to feed a starving Irish child, or €3 a month to buy a goat for a family in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Hagar wrote:
    It won't be long before Concern is running ads on Ethiopian TV asking for just €200 a month to feed a starving Irish child, or €3000 a month to buy a goat for a family in Ballymun.

corrected in bold!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

What I find interesting is that this was not reported in any of the newspapers on the continent (at least not in the ones I checked).
    So it seems to be an Irish phenomenon (even though one would think that, for example, increasing wheat prices would affect markets everywhere, right?). Interesting that other countries can somehow cope with problems like that without passing the buck straight back to the consumer. And I also bet that once costs go down again, the higher prices will remain...

Ah well, one more thing to add to my Rip-off Ireland list...

One really does start to wonder if our wages will go up in line with all these increasing costs...oh, wait, aren't we one of the richest nations on earth???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It is pretty much linked to the total gouging by the Gas company in Ireland who got an insane price hike in the last few months. All those costs shuffle down until finally we end up paying more again.

This is really a main fault of the government tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hobbes wrote:

Ditto ↓↓↓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Ehh.... The citrus crops failed in California, wheat crops partially failed, bread and brekkie cereals contain wheat, chicken eat wheat, fish stocks are depleted due to overfishing? Not everything is going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galah wrote:
    What I find interesting is that this was not reported in any of the newspapers on the continent (at least not in the ones I checked).
    So it seems to be an Irish phenomenon (even though one would think that, for example, increasing wheat prices would affect markets everywhere, right?). Interesting that other countries can somehow cope with problems like that without passing the buck straight back to the consumer. And I also bet that once costs go down again, the higher prices will remain...

Maybe they dont all have scaremongering media's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

We were promised that food prices would go down as a result of the abolition of the Groceries Order last year, and instead they've gone up dramatically? Something seriously wrong in the state of Ireland, folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hobbes wrote:
    It is pretty much linked to the total gouging by the Gas company in Ireland who got an insane price hike in the last few months. All those costs shuffle down until finally we end up paying more again.

Whereas in England, gas prices were recently cut. Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dudara wrote:
    Whereas in England, gas prices were recently cut. Go figure
    Errm, they're coming down here too .. see the Bord Gais website. Reducing by 10% from February 2007, and there are strong rumours they'll further reduce prices later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Didn't know that, that's good at least

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Beelzebub wrote:
    Jesus, but will wages go up too???

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=210101364&p=zyxyxzx7x&n=210102124

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0212/IBEC.html

Prices seem to be going up without regulation and now they want carte blanche!

The price increase in bread is due to increases in wheat prices, caused by a long term drought in Australia. This was actually flagged quite some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Alun wrote:
    Errm, they're coming down here too .. see the Bord Gais website. Reducing by 10% from February 2007, and there are strong rumours they'll further reduce prices later in the year.

But still over 20% higher than they were four months ago.

Advertisement