Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's SMTP 'Store and Forward'

Options
  • 13-02-2007 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

We had an e-mail outage yesterday when out information store had some issues.
    Does anyone have the above service with Eircom? If so, a link to documentation or any information is appreciated.

We're missing a large amount of e-mails from yesterday and i was under the
    impression that they would go to eircom as per our MX records and then be forwarded to us.

Thanks in advance,
    flash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eircom accepts the mail then tries to deliver it as it would any other mail on the server. There's a series of retry intervals that get longer the longer your mail server is down - I think they will continue retrying for a week.

Its pretty much all automated so you should get the mail eventually (if your server was only down for a period yesterday, then you should get any missing mail by today at the latest). If you think there's mail missing then they may be able to check their logs, but you'll probably have to pester them to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Cheers for the Input.
    The mail store went down at approx 10 am yesterday and had a new server built by 11:30 pm

When exactly does their service kick in, is it when the mail store goes down or when the SMTP service goes down?

I'll give them a call later and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its constantly available - your MX records will look like this:

foobar.com IN MX 10 mail.foobar.com.
    foobar.com IN MX 20 mail1.eircom.net.

so if a sending server can't connect to your own mailserver it'll try eircom's server instead. eircom's server will accept mail for your domain at any time and attempt to deliver it onwards.

Advertisement