Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassing things you've done while bowling

Options
  • 13-02-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ehre ever done anything slightly embarrassing while bowling?

I was bowling in a league once and on this occassion we were into the second game of the night and it was my shot. I stood up, picked up my ball and threw it down the lane...

...except that I was halfway through my swing when I realised that the ball wasn't mine! It was very similar in a lot of respects, same weight, make and colour but not actually mine, the grip was slightly off.

Not a bad mistake really except that when the ball came back out of the return there was a massive and deep score down one side of the ball where the ball return had mangled it. Needless to say the owner wasn't very happy and I had to fork out to have it repaired :o I've been a lot more careful since then :)

What about you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

How was it your fault that the ball return had mangled his ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tails142 wrote:
    How was it your fault that the ball return had mangled his ball?

It wasn't my fault that the machine did the damage. It was my fault that his ball got damaged as it should have been my ball. The fact remains that had I not thrown his ball down the lane it would have remained undamaged. All the balls that went down before and afterwards were undamaged, it was just that fluke occurence.

It does happen on occassion with Brunswick A2 machines (as these were) if the entry ramp to the ball return ramp has received a knock. Not sure if this is a problem with newer generation machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Once had a nosebleed in mid swing. No reason, jsut felt it running and the first drop of blood hit my forearm on the followthrough...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

When I was growing out of a ball (the finger holes were getting tighter), it got kind of stuck mid way through my swing. It ended up going about 7 foot in the air and landed on the border between lanes with an almighty crash.

A complete accident, but a not so regular worker just happened to be passing and gave me a bollocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

Last time I went bowling I was going in for a real dramatic powerful bowl. Looked really really professional, and there I was thinking, man I look slick.

Then I realised I had ripped a GIANT hole in the crotch of my trousers. Man it was huge. Luckily I was wearing boxers that day.

• Advertisement

I had a similar event to cast_iron except that in my case I was using a house ball that was too big for my fingers...

I approached the lane, began a huge swing and as my arm went behind me the ball came off and flew back into the seating area with a crash. :o Needless to say I got a slagging and have never been allowed to forget it. :)

/my friends usually stand outside the seating area at least once in the game because they "fear for our lives" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Richard W wrote:
    Last time I went bowling I was going in for a real dramatic powerful bowl. Looked really really professional, and there I was thinking, man I look slick.

Then I realised I had ripped a GIANT hole in the crotch of my trousers. Man it was huge. Luckily I was wearing boxers that day.

Ripped the seam in the arse of my trousers just as I let the ball go. It was the last frame of the night, and nobody noticed. :D Just as well, or i'd still be hearing about it 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

And then there was the one I am constantly reminded of by the prize I won. It's not a trophy, it's smaller and wooden with an engraved metal bit on it ... the bloody word ecapes me. I'd bowled a league in Pamerstown and averaged a pathetic 140 or so. This was an early evening league and while i wasn't great on wooden lanes I was atrocious on wet ones.

A year later in 1996 I bowled in the Super Valu Doubles. We obviously didn't win the thing because there are no large reminders sitting around the house anywhere ;) The awkward moment came immediately I sat down after collecting the award for the HIGH SERIES when she called me back up to receive the award for ... wait for it ... MOST IMPROVED BOWLER :o

I don't think anyone can top this guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 glen290

Now that is funny..lmao :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement