Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Laban, Co Galway

Options
  • 13-02-2007 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi Guys, Sorry to jump into a thread here. search not working on this site.

My question is does anyone know of a broadband provider that covers Laban in co Galway. I am routed through a broadband enabled exchange but eircom say "line is unsuitable" I am considering 3g but would appreciate if anyone knows how i can get either Eircom to fix my line without charging me the earth or maybe Skydsl or something. I have looked at airwire but for €300 installation fee i will keep looking for now.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am at the end of my tether now.
    How is it we can put robots on Mars but can't provide broadband 5km from the exchange!! Only in Ireland.
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is that Laban or "Labane" I assume the latter

Order a new line/bb/talk bundle from the eircom website

as you tied BB and Line together at the ordering stage they cannot charge you for the installation of the line if it will not support BB so it costs nothing to try .

then you get rid of the line you have today . as you are within 3 miles of Ardrahan exchange you should get something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hobsonschoice

Hi Spongebob,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I had the line switched on on feb 3rd and the cheeky b**gers are trying to charge me installation of 124€ when the line was already in the house. Anyway, i am literally about 5 mins drive behind Labane, on a hill , Raheen. Not sure if it is more than 3km but the guy at eircom told me it has to be 3 crows km.
    So how do i order it. The first thing they do when i call up to order is check my line, which fails. I guess if their had been no line installed then yeah it might work. Is that what you meant?
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yeah, the line was there so it should have only cost you €0 install becuase it was a reconnection or an in situ line (they are different) .

you need to order a completely new line with BB mate , sorry , if it works it will cost €124 as it IS a new line.

if it does not work for BB they cannot charge you anything becuase they did not deliver the bb line you ordered.

the dsl service works to c. 6.5- 7km following wire lengths

if you get dialup connect speeds around 46k or 48k today then it may pass for BB and its just they have not tested it yet. hold your fire a sec coz it takes up to 1 month to test the line .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hobsonschoice

So just thought i would post an update on the pathetic broadband coverage in Laban.
    As you can see from my post dates it's been a while and still nothing.
    the only ray of light is that it is possible to use the 3g O2 wireless dongle which will provide up 1.5Mb download if i hold tape the modem to the middle of my Sky dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So just thought i would post an update on the pathetic broadband coverage in Laban.
    As you can see from my post dates it's been a while and still nothing.
    the only ray of light is that it is possible to use the 3g O2 wireless dongle which will provide up 1.5Mb download if i hold tape the modem to the middle of my Sky dish.

Well, Airwire still covers the area, the installation fee is 200 EUR these days and the packages have also gotten more attractive. We do think so, at least.

As you might have noticed, 3G services here on boards.ie now belong in the "midband" forum, not "broadband" :)

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Advertisement
Advertisement