Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite broadband and Weather conditions

Options
  • 13-02-2007 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking into getting satelllite broadband to work from home and my IT department have indicated that adverse weather conditions can affect the signal? Is this true and is there other factors apart from latency that can affect quality of signal?

lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You won't be able to run a VPN if your IT department wants it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2 way sat is susceptible to weather, think about it willya .

You aim a signal at an object the size of a BUS and 22000 MILES AWAY and hope it picks it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

You won't be able to run a VPN if your IT department wants it.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

although vpns work much better over satellite broadband than they used to most using timings tp prevent certain attacks the delay the signal experiences going up and down to the satellite messes up the timings and the pn refuses to connect. i think its a while since i looked at this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If the dish is big enough for the given satellite, then "weather related" downtime will be tiny, less than DSL downtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭vsat

Once the dish is big enough to receive the required gain "signal" and It's not heavy snow, no problem with down time on.:)

Advertisement