Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Shops in Sligo

• 13-02-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Are there many good music shops in Sligo, I will be spending sometime there in the next 6 months or so.
    By good, i mean slightly alternative music, similar to the independant shops in Dublin like Freebird or sound cellar.

shops where you can browse for a an hour or so through the cds or vinyl.

thanks - and looking forward to my visits!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Err no to be honest! Music shops are sadly lacking, there are 2 but the selection isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Thanks Magnumlady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'm afraid ML is right!
    There are two music shops at the moment! (Yes 2!!)
    One in O'Connell Street called Third Wave music - Above Lieber Bookshop and across from Penneys.
    The other is in Gratton St. The Record Room.

I have my fingers crossed that a HMV or Virgin will move into the Johnson's Court Mall when it opens but I wouldn't hold my breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

you could also try upstairs in Tescos, but as said the selection wouldn't be hectic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Gillie wrote:
    I'm afraid ML is right!
    There are two music shops at the moment! (Yes 2!!)
    One in O'Connell Street called Third Wave music - Above Lieber Bookshop and across from Penneys.
    The other is in Gratton St. The Record Room.

I have my fingers crossed that a HMV or Virgin will move into the Johnson's Court Mall when it opens but I wouldn't hold my breath!

thats great info Gillie - Will at least know where the music shops are.

thanks also Madge

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know its not the same as browsing through the blocks and mortar shops but with the price of CD's etc in this country you would be better off browsing and buying online

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try Third Wave.
    (Randomly shills friends business :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

The Record Room.

Still there! WoW!

AdrianR wrote:
    Still there! WoW!

I know :rolleyes:

Badly need a change here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

what ever happened to star records in the arcade, there used to be a guy called rodger working there, really sound skin

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    what ever happened to star records in the arcade, there used to be a guy called rodger working there, really sound skin

It appears that it's being used as storage for Tesco's now.
    It's possible that they are getting a unit in the new Mall?
    Here's hoping that a Virgin or HMV will move it though!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ahhh no, the guys in star records were nice.

Its like if you mention a record shop in sligo, its either the record room or star records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

nanook wrote:
    ahhh no, the guys in star records were nice.

Its like if you mention a record shop in sligo, its either the record room or star records.
    I never found them that helpfull TBH , I always got the feeling that i was interupting some conversation they were having with eachother or their friends if i made a query , the lads in Record Room i always found more helpful.

gustavo wrote:
    I never found them that helpfull TBH , I always got the feeling that i was interupting some conversation they were having with eachother or their friends if i made a query , the lads in Record Room i always found more helpful.

The guys in the record room are worse for that ffs!

Everytime I've enquired about something in the record room the fella is stuck in his seat and usually eating, I don't think I've ever seen him move.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If you want a man to help you in record room Budge is your man, great dj also, alternative stuff.

Sligo needs a big music shop, i get all my stuff on the net and I live in Dublin, overpriced in most shops

I'd love there to be a decent music shop in Sligo, love the ones in London, wouldn't it be cool to get one like that here.
    I get all my cds online too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Island Discs in Enniskillen are good. More left field selection. Budge is helpful in the Record Room and knows his music (huge Super Furry Animals fan).
    Third Wave have decent selection, and are crucially a few quid cheaper too. I go there most of the time now. The people who run it are really sound (not saying that cos I went to school with one of them or anything:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

magnumlady wrote:
    Everytime I've enquired about something in the record room the fella is stuck in his seat and usually eating, I don't think I've ever seen him move.:D
    A bit harsh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He also kicked us out of the shop for nothing much.

Star Records shut down teh day I walked to town to get a concert ticket, just missed closing, agh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

the people in 3rd wave are always more than helpful to me..
    order in anything you want as well..

id prefer shopping in 3rd wave than to the record room and tesco, the service is top notch

And Third Wave text you when it comes in. Very handy.

il gatto wrote:
    Island Discs in Enniskillen are good. More left field selection. Budge is helpful in the Record Room and knows his music (huge Super Furry Animals fan).
    Third Wave have decent selection, and are crucially a few quid cheaper too. I go there most of the time now. The people who run it are really sound (not saying that cos I went to school with one of them or anything:D )

I think Island Discs must have shut down because I was up there yesterday and the shutters were down and didn't see the sign.

The good always die young:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

il gatto wrote:
    And Third Wave text you when it comes in. Very handy.

that too

larve it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hobosoap

Third Wave ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He also kicked us out of the shop for nothing much.

Star Records shut down teh day I walked to town to get a concert ticket, just missed closing, agh!

The bookshop does tickets now doesn't it? Not Liber, the "other" one, fitzgeralds is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

yep third wave is a good un for browsin' in the 'two for twenty' c.d selection can be of high quality depends on your luck ,tesco is good for cheap collections and and cheap popular stuff

http://www.thirdwavesligo.com/index.htm

Advertisement