Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re my money

Options
  • 13-02-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I have found myself in a bit of a black hole over the past few months,

I moved out of home about 9 months ago, and since then I have maxed out my credit card, and find myself broke by mid month.

I have applied for a loan to get rid of the credit card debt, but my record over the past while means I prob won't get it.

I'm not on bad money and it's just getting me down, has anyone any advice as to what I can do?

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Get out a sheet of paper or a spreadsheet!

Assess where your biggest spend is?
    Take note of every time you spend money.

Example:
    A few years ago I was shocked to discover that I was spending €50 a week in my canteen...€200 a month :eek:

Since then I've made my lunch almost every day. I spend <€10 a week or <€40 a month saving €160!

Are you spending a lot on clothing?
    Are you going to the pub a lot?

Invite some mates over to yours for a night of DVD/playstation whatever instead of going to the pub...saves on pub prices, taxis etc!

Make sure you do a grocery shop from a supermarket every week, otherwise you'll end up getting in lots of take-aways or spending your money in Spar/Centra etc, much more expensive than the bigger shops.

Instead of buying ready-made meals, buy lots of veg and cook your own meals. It works out cheaper.

There is lots more but you get the idea, you are overspending somewhere, you need to find out where.

No need to post how much you are spending but if you can post up what your major expenses are (when you've looked into it) then people can give you more advice. Believe me a proper analysis will shock and surprise you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

Its about making realistic budgets with some Fun Mun also. you cant allocate all you wages to paying bills ect. leave out €100 to get out. other wise the youwill never get out of the root . As previous poster has said -Wrote it down its easier to see on paper. Pin it some where to remind you CAR/Fridge/Work - So incase of innecessary purchases thsi will remiond you that you are working towards a goal - Clear the debt.

Try consolidate your debt and take out a loan so all you have is one payment
    This generally works out cheaper.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

first thing - destroy the credit card [and all cards]

get rid of all temptation

Advertisement