Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airis T920 v Tomtom (Euro)

Options
  • 13-02-2007 11:57am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the long line of 'Which Satnav?' I thought I'd throw mine own few questions out there.

I have had a quick go of both models but too fast to get a feel for them. Both seem to have good coverage which is the main thing, but I was hoping to get secondary opinions as to features of the particular model that you find good or likewise things about either model that is annoying.

Things which I would be interested in would be general screen size and clarity in viewing, is there much extra detail in terms of POI's (as well as hotels, petrol stations etc.), is there much extra downloadable content i.e. I have seen sites that have importable overlays for the Tomtom.

Any other comments welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

T920 runs Route66's Navigate 7, with latest Navteq maps. So mapping is as good as it gets. POIs are hit and miss. For example there is an ATM category, but it tells me the nearest ATM is in Holyhead:eek:! Though petrol stations and restaurants etc are all there.

R66N7 is easy to use, and the T920 can be had quite cheaply. And R66 are usually one of the first to have the updated Navteq maps when released.

The latest version TomTom ONE has up to date Navteq maps, but I believe this is only on the European map edition, not the GB & Ireland. All other TomToms use TeleAtlas maps which are useless. The UI is very swish by comparison to R66N7.

Money no object the TT ONE probably is the one to go for. The T920 is better value tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Have the TomTom with Europe maps Irish coverage is great boss has it too he travels all over the country including Dublin says it's brilliant - avoid the GB and Ireland TomTom the Teleatlas maps are terrible made that mistake but luckily got hold of the Navteq ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Where's the cheapest place to get a TomTom One with European mapping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I ordered one from them for GBP205 the week before last, free delivery to my brother in law in UK, who was flying back to Ireland the next day. Ordered it 10pm Friday night, had it Thursday night. Total cost: EUR309.
    The Demo route option is very good.
    All in all, I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

I have a tomtom910 teleatlas with the new v6.6 telatlas maps of Uk and Ireland. Very good mapping (m4 motorway is all there althogh m6 is not).

So you need to make sure you get the correct map version is all.

Later,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Grayarea wrote:
    I have a tomtom910 teleatlas with the new v6.6 telatlas maps of Uk and Ireland. Very good mapping (m4 motorway is all there althogh m6 is not).

I'm going to assume that the coverage you have is the same as what's visible on Google maps - in which case, it's dreadful. Yes, you get the up-to-date M4 and the new N2 Ashbourne bypass. But you get zero detailed coverage of, say, Ashbourne itself, to say nothing of rural areas. Navteq's database, does still lack some very recent roads, and has some silly errors especially at urban level, but it's streets ahead (sorry) of Teleatlas.

Incidentally, it looks like there may be a new release of Navteq data out that does contain the new N2 and a few other new bits. See this page from Mapquest.
    (This surpasses the level of detail even on Navteq's own map reporter, so it could be that what's visible here contains additional data they sourced elsewhere or that they're on a beta version of the data). Even this version has stuff missing, unfortunately, but I still wouldn't trade it for Teleatlas.

mackerski wrote:
    I'm going to assume that the coverage you have is the same as what's visible on Google maps - in which case, it's dreadful. Yes, you get the up-to-date M4 and the new N2 Ashbourne bypass. But you get zero detailed coverage of, say, Ashbourne itself, to say nothing of rural areas. Navteq's database, does still lack some very recent roads, and has some silly errors especially at urban level, but it's streets ahead (sorry) of Teleatlas.

Incidentally, it looks like there may be a new release of Navteq data out that does contain the new N2 and a few other new bits. See this page from Mapquest.
    (This surpasses the level of detail even on Navteq's own map reporter, so it could be that what's visible here contains additional data they sourced elsewhere or that they're on a beta version of the data). Even this version has stuff missing, unfortunately, but I still wouldn't trade it for Teleatlas.

99% coverage of Ireland, so far it seems OK to me but YMMV. I live in Rural Mayo and I was surprised by the quality of the map, Back roads that were not on my Roadmate 800 are on the teleatlas 6.6 maps.

Later,

In that case, it's clear that the latest Teleatlas isn't what's being used on Google Maps. But it puzzles me, because you'd imagine there would have been a fanfare from Teleatlas if they had attained full coverage, as there was from Navteq when they did.

By way of a test, does your map contain any street-level detail of Kinnegad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Guys, I have a budget of e350 so I've been looking at both the t920 and the tomtom one europe. In your opinion which one has the best coverage of Ireland, when it comes to back country roads.

Are updates for both systems free, how often are they available?

What features do each have over the other?

Overall, what do you think is the best of the two?

Thanks

mackerski wrote:
    In that case, it's clear that the latest Teleatlas isn't what's being used on Google Maps. But it puzzles me, because you'd imagine there would have been a fanfare from Teleatlas if they had attained full coverage, as there was from Navteq when they did.

By way of a test, does your map contain any street-level detail of Kinnegad?

I have had a look today and none of the new estates are on Teleatlas 6.6 for Kinnegad. The bypass is there as are the main roads and Edenderry road (even the back road to Cloncrave direction) etc but housing estates are just a brown block with no detail.

Later,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Nephew wrote:
    Are updates for both systems free, how often are they available?

Thanks
    No updates for neither are free , I believe .

Grayarea wrote:
    I have had a look today and none of the new estates are on Teleatlas 6.6 for Kinnegad. The bypass is there as are the main roads and Edenderry road (even the back road to Cloncrave direction) etc but housing estates are just a brown block with no detail.

Later,

Looks like Teleatlas still loses the Pepsi challenge.

Advertisement