Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People spitting on the street

• 13-02-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi folks,

Has anyone else noticed the amount of saliva being spat onto our streets? I'm convinced people are doing more and more of it lately. You can't walk across O'Connell Bridge, up Westmoreland St or anywhere in the city centre without either seeing someone spitting on the ground or seeing the big globs someone has left there a while before. :eek: It's disgusting!

Yesterday I saw a man (well dressed enough; early 30's, jeans, nice jacket, glasses, off duty professional looking type) walking along by the wall of Trinity College and as I was walking towards him I saw him spit a huge blob of saliva onto the ground in front of him. I gave him the filthiest look possible as I walked towards him and said "That's disgusting" when I reached him but he just kept walking and pretended he hadn't heard me! Grrrrrr! :mad:

I thought spitting was outlawed hundreds of years ago for spreading disease. Why is it making a comeback now? There must be something wrong with people who think it is acceptable to go around spitting on the street. Why can't they just swallow their saliva like any normal person?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i get empty reaching everytime i see someone doing it, or see the "big globs"..it is truly a disgusting habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Alternatively just spit into a tissue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do women not find it sexy...??? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spitting was all the rage when I was in primary school. Everyone just did it to look tough because they saw the football players on tv doing it. So at break time they would walk around the yard spitting in various directions every few minutes. Morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

What's worst is that young kids are doing the same. They seem to think that is is a macho thing to do. Consciously or otherwise, this pathetic behaviour stops when they are in shopping centres, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Why is it that these people need to spit ?. Is it a medical condition that we're not aware of ?

I never really feel the need to spit unless I've tasted something really bad or a fly has gotten into my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I normally end up dry retching and wanting to heave whenever I witness something like that, vile :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

its so disgusting and nasty. even when i am walking around town i try to avoid stepping into that little pool of white froamy bubbles. you damn near
    need a pair of wellies nowadays..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Whats even worse ,girls are the biggest culprits.

I was strolling down my street yesterday against a group of secondary schoolgirls.One of did a bit of a "hawk" and spat out a huge "dockers omlette" onto the path ahead of her.

None of the others even flinched!!!

I certainly did:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*spits on this thread*

oh, please forgive me

kill yourselves, there's far worse habits out there.. christianity, islam and the late late show come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Agreed, it's gross behaviour. Scumbaggery of the hghest (lowest?) order.

Yep, saliva incubates TB spores in those infected with TB. The sporesbecome airborne when the saliva dries out. Although it takes a lot to become infected with TB

When we are all infected with influenza H5N1 we can blame the spitters and those who cough and sneeze without covering their mouths :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mordeth wrote:
    *spits on this thread*

oh, please forgive me

kill yourselves, there's far worse habits out there.. christianity, islam and the late late show come to mind.
    Judaism's OK thought isn't it? Better than spitting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

r3nu4l wrote:

and those who cough and sneeze without covering their mouths

I dislike these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Why cant they just spit in other peoples hoods like good citizens do??
    Selfish bestards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spitting is focking disgusting. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me want to puke. I would never, ever be able to out with a guy who spat on the street without damn good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mordeth wrote:
    *spits on this thread*

oh, please forgive me

If that's in jest you could stick a smiley on the end. If not, wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Myeas, it is most frightful behaviour.
    Why I've lost five good monocles this week alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ffs. Have you nothing better to do than come on here and moan about people spitting?
    Too much time on your hands if you ask me.
    I gave him the filthiest look possible as I walked towards him and said "That's disgusting" when I reached him but he just kept walking and pretended he hadn't heard me!
    What did you expect him to do?
    Thank you for pointing out it was disgusting and then go back and suck it back up off the ground?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are turning into a nation of whining pussies. Grow a fúcking spine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Haha, anyone ever been to China? Now the Chinese know how to spit. The women, the men, the kids, young girls in high heels and make up - HGHGHSHSHHSHSHSSGGGGGG splat! (gross spitting noise). They do it in the morning in the sink, they do it on the streets, they do snot rockets ALL the time (actually thats quite acceptable), they do it on the bus and on restaurant floors. I think the more noise you make, the more 'manly' it is.
    It took a few weeks to get used to it - now its not so shocking. Still gross though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I wouldn't do it much and not on the street. I wouldn't get worked up about it either though. IMO it's acceptable if you are playing sports or that kind of thing. I know I find I get over-salivaed when I'm knakered running around.

Snot rockets NOT COOL though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

*gathers phlegm from chest*:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

KTRIC wrote:
    Why is it that these people need to spit ?. Is it a medical condition that we're not aware of ?

Sometimes my asthma causes a build up of phlegm and I have to spit...I'm sorry if I've offended anyone's delicate victorian morals....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Terry wrote:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are turning into a nation of whining pussies. Grow a fúcking spine.
    what a retarded comment that is. if it wasnt for people complaining there would be virtually no traffic on these boards. and besides, while spitting in public is hardly the crime of the century, it is a pretty nasty habit which displays a complete lack of common decency and manners.

ferdi wrote:
    what a retarded comment that is. if it wasnt for people complaining there would be virtually no traffic on these boards. and besides, while spitting in public is hardly the crime of the century, it is a pretty nasty habit which displays a complete lack of common decency and manners.
    I stand by what I wrote.
    If it offends you in any way, feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Spitting in the streets is ridiculous. Have it in CR's. If not then, please do it where no one could see it.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Wow i just went through this and all I heard was

"moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan"

Then Terry and someone else said something interesting then

"moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan "

and i thought this was gonna be something really boring :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wow, all the reactions are a bit ott. you'd swear people were openly urinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Spitting in the streets is ridiculous. Have it in CR's. If not then, please do it where no one could see it.:mad:

Like in the stationary press, or perhaps the first aid box. A small jelly based surprise for someone who is feeling poorly because they hurt themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I Hate Hate Hate this.

It is absolutely repulsive, and everywhere.... *eugh*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sometimes my asthma causes a build up of phlegm and I have to spit...I'm sorry if I've offended anyone's delicate victorian morals....

Do it in a loo or swallow it or something, spitting in public makes you look like a retard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Meh, don't do it but don't care for it. Seems a bad habit to me. Why spit at all, let alone in the street?

Nermal wrote:
    Do it in a loo or swallow it or something, spitting in public makes you look like a retard.

I'll make sure to spit even more often to piss off people like you. Honestly there are worse things in the world than some bodily fluids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Nermal wrote:

Comment of the month, or wait, non.

By phlegm coming up from your chest, surely it is your body telling you that it isn't wanted. At least with the need to urinate you can hold it until the time is right, couching your guts up is a different situation.

I try not to spit in front of others as I don't find it particularly attractive either, but I do spit. Unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I've recently moved to Dublin and I must say I'm shocked by the amount of spitting. No where else I've been has been anything like this. I can't go to the end of my park without some filthy bastard spitting. And theres no reason why there should be any more spitting in dublin. Its never cold, these people aren't running or rushing or anything, yet they feel the constant need to spew their germs all around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Its never cold

When did this become the 'Lets say random stupid stuff' thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Terry wrote:
    I stand by what I wrote.
    If it offends you in any way, feel free to PM me.
    lol, nothing you said was offensive, it just disappointed me.

I've recently moved to Dublin and I must say I'm shocked by the amount of spitting. No where else I've been has been anything like this. I can't go to the end of my park without some filthy bastard spitting. And theres no reason why there should be any more spitting in dublin. Its never cold, these people aren't running or rushing or anything, yet they feel the constant need to spew their germs all around the place.
    What's next?
    involuntary sneezing?
    Talking on the street?
    Breathing?

You can't see me, but I'm nodding my head in disapproval of this thread.
    Nation of whining pussies.

connundrum wrote:
    When did this become the 'Lets say random stupid stuff' thread?

theres about 1 cold day every month, the weather this winter has been great. And the reason I said it is because people with lung conditions such as asthma often produce more phlegm when the weather is cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

No not terribly important, but this forum is hardly established to solve the world's greatest problems in top-down order. Spitting happens to be pretty sick, it's bad manners. It's unpleasant.

One thing that is far worse though is vomit. Anybody who has the misfortune of walking through Dublin on a Sunday morning (not exclusively Sundays, not exclusively Dublin) will be very familiar with this.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    What's next?
    involuntary sneezing?
    Talking on the street?
    Breathing?

I <3 Terry. Teh voice of reason and angry anger jumbled up together.

Terry wrote:
    What's next?
    involuntary sneezing?
    Talking on the street?
    Breathing?

No because involuntary sneezing can't be helped and the vast majority of people at least have the decency to cover their nose or sneeze into a tissue.

Also I must point out that you have done nothing but whinge in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Terry wrote:
    What's next?
    involuntary sneezing?
    Talking on the street?
    Breathing?

Stop whining about people whining you pussy:rolleyes:

That's not a whine, it's an order! :D

Spitting isn't a crime, just it's associated with scobes with hands down their trousers. lol, that is the image I get anyway.:eek:

From now on I will be wearing this whenever I leave the house.
    I don't want to upset anyone by possibly breathing within 100 feet of them.
    Who knows what sort of germs I could be carrying or passing.
    It's a dangerous world out there.
    Careful now.

Terry wrote:
    Careful now.

That move is welcomed, but you don't have to go to such extreme measures. You can just carry a paper bag around with you to put your phlegm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think people really need to differentiate between the two "types" of spitting....there's the body induced form, where the mouth/lungs/sinuses need to be evacuated no matter if you're outside in the street, on the playing field, at home, or wherever...then there's the knacker passtime of seeing how much of a pool of saliva you can make whilst kicking your airmax heel off a wall.
    I do the former at whatever stage I feel the need and I couldn't giove a flying f*ck what you or anyone else thinks of that....however the scumbags that make it their national pastime to just spit white saliv=a for no other good reason than that they can annoy me; pointless moronic behaviour and I see plenty of it where I live....as someone else said the girls seem to be the worst for it.

As for all you moaners going "ew it makes me dry wretch" or "OMG how horrid, call the gardaí"...jesus, grow a thicker skin. You're not going to catch anything, they're not spitting AT you or ON you....strikes me that you're probably thr same bunch of people who would only use a public toilet if your life depended on it but only after dousing the entire area in Oust first...

Wertz wrote:
    I think people really need to differentiate between the two "types" of spitting....there's the body induced form, where the mouth/lungs/sinuses need to be evacuated no matter if you're outside in the street, on the playing field, at home, or wherever...then there's the knacker passtime of seeing how much of a pool of saliva you can make whilst kicking your airmax heel off a wall.
    I do the former at whatever stage I feel the need and I couldn't giove a flying f*ck what you or anyone else thinks of that....however the scumbags that make it their national pastime to just spit white saliv=a for no other good reason than that they can annoy me; pointless moronic behaviour and I see plenty of it where I live....as someone else said the girls seem to be the worst for it.

As for all you moaners going "ew it makes me dry wretch" or "OMG how horrid, call the gardaí"...jesus, grow a thicker skin. You're not going to catch anything, they're not spitting AT you or ON you....strikes me that you're probably thr same bunch of people who would only use a public toilet if your life depended on it but only after dousing the entire area in Oust first...

Often these spitters are dopey ***** though, saw this one guy yesterday walking into a shop, a girl was behind him going in as well, the guy not looking to see if anyone was behind just turns round and spits out the door and the girl had to swerve to avoid getting a gobfull of phlegm on her clothes. I can't stand moronic scumbags like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Terry wrote:
    Careful now.

Get me one.. in black pretty please!
    no.. wait.. get me two.. for when one is being washed.

In fairness, spitting is absolutely disgusting.
    I mean, puleeeze, : tissue, spit silently into it, and put into the nearest bin.
    :rolleyes:
    yeah! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

whats more disgusting: Walking past someone who spit onto the ground/gutter/drain/road/sidewalk or walking through a cloud of their nicotene saturated smoke freshly inhaled from their black, already diseased lungs?

Times like these to remember piss is cleaner than saliva, but you still manage to stick your tongue in/on both at some stage (man or woman...think about it). When do you ever Shotgun someone's second hand smoke (unless your some hippie college student...)

Look theyre all disgusting habits. Kinda like burbing and farting and that annoying bitch on the train who doesnt mind talking about her last gaenocology exam on the phone for the 3 hours.

At least have the sense to see people arent stupid and all/most of these habits are either done candidly outdoors and that the same people have sense to control themselves indoors.

As for annoying phone lady; she must be stopped at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Wertz wrote:

Additionally, I'll wager that if someone dragged up the "Do you piss in the shower" thread, then the self same moaners in this one would be exclaiming EWW and calling for people to be banished from the land for this crime against humanity, in that thread...
    Here's a thought for those people...the keyboard you're clacking away on is one of the biggest harbourers of germs in the home and chances are ythat you DON'T wash your hands every single time after you use it.
    Similarly, the mobile phone you just spent the last hour nattering into is probably even dirtier than your keyboard...the dirtiest part was mere centimetres from your mouth and will be again.
    If you want to be a complete bloody obsessive about being hygenic then time to start closer to home than whinging about a few people spitting in the street...

• Advertisement
Advertisement