Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got puppy microchipped now lump on her neck

Options
  • 13-02-2007 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

i got my mini yorkie spayed on friday (she's nearly 7months old), all went well and she's healing grand.
    as she was getting spayed i asked the vet to microchip her also. then on sunday a massive lump came out on her neck.

i rang the vet and he said it's probably only a reaction to the injection as she's eating and drinking fine. how ever i was very worried and not happy as the lump is hard and getting bigger.

im just back from the vet and he said it was just bruising that will go down.
    is it common or should i get a second opinion.

thanks
    sinead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

None of our dogs or horses got a lump from micro chipping.
    You brought your dog to the vet to get him check out, and it seems fine according to him.
    I would give it a week, if the swelling is still there or if it looks like it is causing your dog some discomfort then get it check out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

hey rabies,

ive had dogs microchipped before and this has never happened. ive been googling it also but nothing much showin up.

what gets to me is that firstly vet said it was a reaction and then said it was brusing i mean the injection is small and this lump is masive.

im just worried it might be an absus or a reaction to the micro chip, its just ive neber heard of brusing being caused from micro chpping. also her skin isnt purple or bruised looking. the lump is hard and i can kind of mive it and its soft in the centre. she doesnt appear in pain but still i just dont like the look of it.

thanks for you reply .
    sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I've never heard of this happening before - I'd be inclined to get a second opinion - even just to put your mind at rest

hey gus,

i took her back to the vet yesterday evening, as she began itching at the lump, the lump is in fact areaction to the anti biotics given to help heal her stitches heal after getting her spayed and has nothing to do with the micro chip.
    she's now on tablets but has gone off her food. the vet said if this happened he'd have to draw fluid from.the lump or lance it and stitch it agter two days.
    he said it would be better sign if she didnt go off her food after a few days however after only one tablet and loads of coaxing her last night she wont eat.
    she's obviously in pain now as she's squealing a bit last night.
    i cant believe this happened and how serious this is.

thnk for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I was in your situation, I'd get a second opinion, quickly.

An allergic reaction to antibiotics can be quite serious and the lump could only be the superficial sign of other reactions happening where you CAN'T see them.

I wouldn't be happy to just sit there and "wait and see"

• Advertisement

hey peasant,

as i said she went back to the vet, she's on anti biotics now to reduce the swelling in her neck and it is getting smaller, she's eating now thank god and not squealing any more.
    i rang another vet in the vacinity and he said the same as my own vet.

im not sitting and waiting in fact i was so worried i took her back to the vet yesterday and took two days off to watch her at home. reactions to anti biotics can be common in mini yorkies according to the vet.

im hoping the swelling will continue to go down.
    misty is a family member peasent not some one ill wait to see if their is any improvent. ill take the medical advice of a qualified vet any day over a boards member i dont know.

so thanks any how for your comment but im far from sitting and waiting as
    you implied mad:

No,no ...you got me wrong there ...:rolleyes:

I wasn't implying that YOU were taking the "wait and see" approach, but rather your vet.

Personally, I am allergic to penicillin and I could actually die fairly quickly if I was given it by mistake.
    That's why I ...personally... would be very worried if my dog(s) reacted to antibiotics in any way and would do everything to make sure that said reaction was as harmless as one vet made it out to be ...including asking another vet as soon as possible.

But I'm glad to hear that your doggie is on the mend and improving and that there was no need to panic anyway.

sorry peasant.

im too allergic to pencillan.i guess im just all muddled up and worried deep down about misty. i do appreciete your comments, i d never just see how things would work out where my dogs ar concerned, as i said their treated as part of the family.

im only hoping the anti biotics work i dread the thoughts of her having to be lanced or stitched again as she is so small. i guess the next few days willtill. im hoping things wil work out as she's eating and the lump appears to be reducing in size.

ill let ya no how it works out.

thanks again
    sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭liam1204

hi shin , my pup got microchipped and there was a small to medium lump between her shoulder blades. it went down after a week or so.

hi liam,

this lump is really big and the vet has stated that it has nothing to do with the microchip and is a rection to the anti biotics given to her after she was nutured.

i havent really heard of lumps after microchipping did your pup need any medication or did the bump just go down itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

peasant wrote:
    No,no ...you got me wrong there ...:rolleyes:

I wasn't implying that YOU were taking the "wait and see" approach, but rather your vet.

But I'm glad to hear that your doggie is on the mend and improving and that there was no need to panic anyway.

Nice reply Peasant ....... nicely handled, all the ingredients were there for row. a worthy moderator.

Nice reply Peasant ....... nicely handled, all the ingredients were there for row. a worthy moderator.

Thanks for the praise !

But it's wholly unwarranted:D

Myself and shinners we got the rowing thing out of our systems a long time ago ...big time :D:D guess you weren't there for that ...

Didn't we, shinners?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Hopefully we all got rowing out of our system a tthis stage.

Great advise on all accounts glad things work out.

As for the size of the injection, the needle is very much bigger of microchipping, compared to normal injections, as the chip is the size of a grain of rice. I have sometimes come across abcesses from them, it can happen in a few cases, and the fact that your little girl is a smallie, well it may mell of effected her more. Also tend to find that the little white haired dogs, bichon, whwt tend to bleed more when they get it done!

Glad she is doing well Sinead!

ha ha!! we sure did peasant ;);) im thrilled to see how open minded
    you have become ;) only kidding.

congrats on being a mod now!!

ya jules i know the micro chip injection is a bit bigger than a standard size
    injection. im just glad that th lump isnt getting bigger and she's eating and palying.

Lol shinners,

thank god she is back to herself.... you should post a pic of her!!!

thanks jules,

the lump is nearly gone done completely now thank god.
    she's on anti biotics for another few days. things are looking good, im thrilled:D :D

heres a pic of my little girl misty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

she looks a right old charachter that one !!!!
    how much food do you give her then ?

:D she's fed twice a day
    she's a charachter alright full of mischief:D

oh my what a cutie!!!!!

best of luck shinners, she is in very good hands!

ah thank jules;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement