Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Locking Device

Options
  • 13-02-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone.

Just wanted to get people's opinions on anti-theft devices i.e steering wheel lock and so on. This isn't really for myself, my girlfriend is buying a 2000 206 and cars have been broken into previously where we live.

Am I wrong in assuming that most 'modern' cars can't be started by most thieves without the key, and therefore the steering lock is really protection against them stealing your key from your house or wherever and then taking off with the car?

On a general note I'd like to hear about good/bad/ugly anti-theft devices.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I would say most over-the-counter anti-theft devices like steering wheel locks, etc., are just a deterrant. Most thieves could get past them given enough time.

I suppose their real value is that they persuade the thief to move on to your neighbours car instead of yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Waste of time, don't bother buying any steering lock or similar, if they want to take it they will brake into your house for the key unless they are abit thick in which case they will attempt to hot wire it and after numerous attempts they will discover something called an immobiliser that has been standard in cars for years. If the car has a normal sized radio I would fit an alarm or better still get a radio with removeable faceplate to deter someone breaking the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

A car like a 206 will have an immobilser, the thiefs wont bother trying to rob it as they know it has an immobiliser and if they were going to go break into someones house they would go for a faster/more expensive car than a 206.

But if you must, the autolok 2000 and the Autolok disclok are by far the best, extremley difficult to get through without time and tools.

The rest of them can be broken of in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

if they were going to go break into someones house they would go for a faster/more expensive car than a 206.

Yeah, this is what I figured. In fact them getting the key anyway is even less of an issue where I am as it's an apartment block.

Looks like it's much older models (like her 95 Nissan Micra) and quick cars that are at risk then.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement