Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What music does your Dad listen to?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

My grandfather has pretty cool taste in music and he's 87. He's loves folk/trad and is very open minded about listening to new stuff. My mum used to tell me how he'd sit and listen to Pink Floyd with her when she was still living at home and I can remember him popping his head into my room when I was a teenager and commenting that the band I was listening to at the time (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) sounded great and would I mind making a tape for him. I think my mum has inherited some of his openmindedness about music because she always takes an interest in what I listen to and often discovers new bands/artists way before I do. She's even been clubbing with me and danced to funky house all night but I think she might draw the line at Danish underground trance :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

i actualy have a very broad musical taste, everything basically except R'n'B and dance.

but i got most of my taste from my old man. The Kinks, The Beatles, The Small Faces, The Stones...

cant go wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

my old man has HORRIBLE taste in music.

some of his collection includes the likes of John Denver, willie nelson and *shudders* daniel o'donnell.. im surprised i made it past my teenage years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

iremex wrote:
    my old man has HORRIBLE taste in music.

some of his collection includes the likes of John Denver, willie nelson and *shudders* daniel o'donnell.. im surprised i made it past my teenage years

OK, looks like you're my brother 'cos we sure as heckfire have similar sounding daddies! :D Add to that Joe Dolan, Dickie Rock, Big Tom etc...you get the picture...it's no wonder I'm so messed up :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My Dad listens to jazz.

He was in a showband years ago, so some of that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Listens to Status Quo. He has a severe hatred for Joe Dolan and Daniel O'Donnell ("Why the **** was he awarded an MBE, is beyond me!"). <3 Daddeh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Laura Brannigan ...... Anyone have the number for a counselling service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I think my dad has an alright taste in music, but I wouldn't have the tastes of a typical 19 year old. I've gotten him into stuff like Tommy Emmanuel and Richard Smith, but he's always been a fan of Chet Atkins' stuff, so I suppose I probably got that from him. He got me into Chet Atkins and Dire Straits as well. I like folk, and some trad. I really like Sharon Shannon now, which I got from him, and I'm also partial to the occasional bit of Sinatra.

He's not mad about the Prog Rock / Metal side of things, but I can make allowances for that, he is, after all, a dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thank god my dad doesn't drive... I'd hate to be listening to Marching Band music or the Vienna Boys Choir for two hours!!!!!

When I was a kid he'd play his "Marching with the Marines" album for hours on end. The real pi$$er though was that Monty Python's Flying Circus would come on and as soon as the theme was over, he's switch it off. "I'm not watching that rubbish" he'd say before proceeding to whistle the theme for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Sofaspud wrote:
    Richard Smith

:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

my mothe is confusing. he loves big tom, and most of the show band and irish country and western rubbish, has a soft spot for wee daniel, likes abba (not my cup of tea but they are tolerated), elvis presley (he's ok so long as its not the crap slushy lov songs). with regard to modern music she like westlife (nnnnnnnnnoooooo) but i was dumbfounded when i heard hear listen to my brother's collection of eminem stuff. she aint too keen on the cursing but is intersted in his life story (prob trying to compare it to a soap lol)

my dad, again confusing. likes some showbands (huckle buck is a good tune), traditional irish music (not all are bad groups like the cheftans are quiete good), loves luke kelly (great voice but aint to keen on all his and the dubliners songs).loves richie kavanagh,dustin the turkey,some fella from ballybofey (gallan i think he is, comedian/singer) he thinks they are hilarous. also likes gilbert o'sullivan (some catchy tunes tbh), and of course the pogues

but he does have some credibility and we share similar tastes eg thin lizzy, the beatles, rolling stones, johnny cash, gerry and the pacemakers, the byrds, beach boys, blondie, neil young

strange thing was my dad nearly had a heart attack (not literally) when he found out that young people listen to the likes of the beatles and neil young (i was 10 then). i love the way he use to give his reasons for disliking bands that i love or partially like such as oasis,u2, inxs and stone roses. He use to say "ah there all druggies" .like that mattered, jesus you'd swear bob dylan, john lennon, phil lynott, keith richards, brian wilson, johnny cash, the dubliners and shane mcgowan were all choir boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I didnt get any of my music taste from my dad, he's into country, classical and The Dubliners (who I dont mind). Cant stand country though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Thankfully my dad's got pretty good music taste. Clearing out the attic a few months ago we found most of Pink Floyd's catalogue on vinyl. I have some memories of tearing around the house as a youngster with King Crimson blaring around the house too.

When I bought the vinyl of Lateralus by Tool, he put it on when I wasn't around and came to me later saying how it was quite enjoyable. When I asked if it was a bit heavy, he merely said "Not compared to Wagner" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My Dad listens to a lot of Jazz - He's a big fan of Dizzy Gillespie and Pee Wee Russell. I can take to a certain extent but then my head starts to burst.

He's also a big fan of Harry Chapin, and I have to say, that that rubbed off on me. I like Harry Chapin too, thanks to my Dad.

Personally, I prefer Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I was on a car journey with my old man recently and i had to put up with his Showbands crap for nearly 2 hours.. It drove me insane. I can put up with all types of music except that stuff, country and heavy metal.
    Will the music that we listen to today be laughed at by the next generation i wonder?
    So, are there any cool dads out there that listen to normal popular stuff?

Bonus points if they listen to Danish underground trance or Bosnian drum & bass!

Are you my brother? My dad used to "torture" us as kids by playing "The Kings of Swing" collection featuring Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller and sometimes even "The last James" James Last.

Sometimes he then played Roger Whittaker and occassionally Shirley Basey - and although, listening back to that stuff now, it is not really that bad - back then it felt worse than toothache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Major Bedhead

My dad listens to James Galway and Cleo somebody and classical. Everything else is crap, according to him. My mother is seriously into folk and country. I am not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My dad is a fan of Nat King Cole, Neil Diamond, some Rat Pack stuff, which i all find enjoyable!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My dad's tastes are the usual horrible suspects, Wolfe Tones, C&W etc.

However when I was a kid, my mum was pretty cool. I distinctly remember her buying Madness and Elvis Costello singles. She also had a cool little stash of single like Strawberry Fields Forever, Come and See Me, Make me Smile etc.

She was also pretty on the ball when it came to music gifts. Stuff like buying me Sign on the Times as a surprise on the day it was released etc.

She's more settled in her ways now but her good training was much appreciated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

C&W - usual suspects Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Charley pride, Big Tom & the mainliners, joe dolan etc.,

However to give him credit he doesn't have much time for wee daniel.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

My dad actually has a pretty cool taste in music: Pink Floyd, Rammstein, Black Sabbath, David Gilmour, 2pac!!! So car journeys aren't too bad...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think he listens to um, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭crybaby

Jazz, country stuff, roy orbison, some classical

actually he has good taste until the Michael Buble Cd comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 captainmango

mine is hung up on all old sinatra stuff,

driving me nuts !!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

a repressed memory of the old man watching the sandy kelly show on sunday nite has just re-emerged. damn it anyways as i was just a few weeks away from erasing it completely

That show has warped my fragile little mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They are counselors not miracle workers :D
    6th wrote:
    Laura Brannigan ...... Anyone have the number for a counselling service?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

My dad got a ipod after i got one for christmas and a FM ransmitter for the car!

Help me! showbands, bruce springstin, enya and all girlie music even my mum wouldn't listen to!

He has also discovered limewire!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Mozart and Planxty.

Not bad, for a guy who only listens to 2 artists (seriously!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My dad listens to AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd and Rory Gallagher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Traditional pub tunes/rebel type stuff mostly, which Im partial to myself particularly after a few drinks. Has the odd mid roader on tape too though.

Still bangs on about kids today with "their bang bang drug music, that blondie Emanwhatzit and that 20 Cent bollix" :D

My oul ones taste s truly horrendous. Think awful studenty nightclub nights in town and you get the idea.

Advertisement