Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Vista question...

• 13-02-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I have XP Home SP2 installed on my PC and was thinking about upgrading to Vista Ultimate. Is it just a straight forward upgrade? Will it wipe out my hard drives and external hard drives (it they're connected obviously :rolleyes: )?
    I currently have 1GB of RAM, is it recommended to have 2GB? On the Ultimate box it says 1GB recommended but I heard you should have at least 2GB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If you get the retail upgrade version you can just upgrade Windows, i.e. it'll just replace XP with Vista and won't delete other files or format your disk. I don't know how reliable this is though - previous windows upgrades like this were prone to breaking things and making an unstable system.

My recommendation would be just to do a fresh install and re-install all your other software. You will only have to re-format the partition that Windows is installed on - probably C:. You won't need to format you external drives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

1GB is fine you really don't need the Ultimate version if just for regular home usage, the Home Premium version will do what you need see features table.

The upgrade process in Vista is greatly improved over the XP versions it does effectively a near clean install. It does not upgrade the XP OS instead it installs to the HD and then migrates your applications and data over to it's install instead. The old XP folder is renamed Widows.old and your free to remove if you want to or leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

8T8 wrote:
    1GB is fine you really don't need the Ultimate version if just for regular home usage, the Home Premium version will do what you need see features table.

The upgrade process in Vista is greatly improved over the XP versions it does effectively a near clean install. It does not upgrade the XP OS instead it installs to the HD and then migrates your applications and data over to it's install instead. The old XP folder is renamed Widows.old and your free to remove if you want to or leave it there.

I thought there was more of a difference in Ultimate. I didn't think the Aero was in Home Premium. I wouldn't want to have to re-install the programs, if it migrates everything over then that should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Aero is in Home Premium, but not Home Basic.

Another question...what's the difference between the DVD version and the 32-bit version? And which one is the better one to go for? Where will I get the best deal on the Home Premium version upgrade?

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: Seen this on IT Direct - http://www.itdirect.ie/item.aspx?sku=66I-00788
    What's the OEM version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Man, to have a working search... Or at least a Vista FAQ.

The DVD version has both the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions of the OS on it.

The OEM is form of the Windows EULA that only permits you to install Vista on one computer - you cannot uninstall it and move it to a different computer. Its intended for what Microsoft call System Builders. Because of these restrictions, its sold cheaper.

Man, to have a working search... Or at least a Vista FAQ.

The DVD version has both the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions of the OS on it.

The OEM is form of the Windows EULA that only permits you to install Vista on one computer - you cannot uninstall it and move it to a different computer. Its intended for what Microsoft call System Builders. Because of these restrictions, its sold cheaper.

Thanks...man :D

Advertisement