Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend Codec pack for Vista

• 13-02-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Can someone please recommend a good package for vista. The one i downloaded won't let me install it. It keeps telling me I do not have sufficient privileges, despite being administrator. I know xp used to have a backup turbo admin account for emergencys, so i imagine its looking for a similar type account here, but I just want to install something so I couldn't be arsed

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Does ffdshow not work in Vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The original ffdshow project has some compatibility issues these have been resolved in ffdshow tryout a fork of the project that includes more up to date fixes.

If those fixes have back ported to the ffdshow project I cannot say but ffdshow tryout works fine.

x264.nl has stable builds you can install or download one of the builds from ffdshow tryout's own page. I'd also install Haali Media Splitter for MP4 and MKV containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

your a gent thanx

oh wait ffdshow is installed, all grand, but it is decoding many files upside down. very strange, but i have never used this package before so any ideas anyone?

thanks

Which build did you use I would recommend using the one from x264, specifically download this build which is what I'm using.

If that's not the same version your are using uninstall the old version beforehand and restart the machine.

Also install the display drivers for your graphics card as they fix some issues with certain video codecs as well.
    ATI Vista drivers : NVIDIA Vista drivers (those are for the 32-bit Vista)

• Advertisement

legend man, thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I'd recommend the K-Lite codec pack for Vista. Great for all round codecs and installs the Dvd playback thing as well. Not one avi has failed me yet. Aslo comes with quicktime and realplayer alternatives.

NOT related to Kazza!

Personally I would not recommend the K-Lite codec pack it is primarly just ffdshow which a lot of duplicate decoders thrown in as well. Such codec packs can play havoc with the filter properties in directshow because of that.

With ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter you are pretty much covered for the majority of content if there is anything else you need you can just install the standalone decoder (e.g Real Alternative) keeping clutter to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

riddik wrote:
    It keeps telling me I do not have sufficient privileges, despite being administrator.

with vista everything you run is only given "user rights" no matter who is logged in, vista will normally spot your trying to install something and ask if you want to give that applicaiton "admin rights", for the ones that just give an access error you must right click on the installer and click run as administrator,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tivoli wrote:
    with vista everything you run is only given "user rights" no matter who is logged in, vista will normally spot your trying to install something and ask if you want to give that applicaiton "admin rights", for the ones that just give an access error you must right click on the installer and click run as administrator,
    Just turn off UAC

• Advertisement
Advertisement