Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well for me my Auto is for the weekend and if i go out during the evening etc. During the week i drive a manual Santa Fe commercial :D I wish that was auto as that one i spend time in traffic going from site to site. Well a little less time than most people since i know almost every shortcut in the city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

darkflower wrote:
    automatic cars are for women.
    manual shifts are for men.
    :D

I thought it'd be the other way round, what with the phallic symbolism and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Guy_In_Cognito

I was always of the mind 'ew, it's an auto' up untill recently. I rented a car in South Africa, and they gave me a brand new Nissan Primera, with an automatic gearbox.
    I was well surprised. It was a delight to drive. No hassle whatsoever.

Now, I still prefer my manual gearbox, but I've no problems with automatics anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

darkflower wrote:
    Automatic cars makes driving easier I just don't want forget how to drive a manual.

Thats exactly what I am worried about, so I try to drive a manual whenever the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Thanks everybody for their opinion. I agreed a deal on it this evening so I am thrilled. Really looking forward to it and alot of it is down to your gentle persuasion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good man rondeco, report back after a few weeks and let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

Automatic cars are just fine.:cool: Go get one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Autos are fine if thats what ya want in a car, however I would say that there is a measured diference in how the car will handle over a manual, I've had a fair few falcons in me time I had an XD ute which initialy had a 4spd Borg-warner that I sold and bought back, when I got it back it had a ford 3spd Auto in it, the performance of that car was noticably diminished, it also spent most of its time on the highway hunting between second and third, even after you learn all the trick on how to handle yer car its still an anoyance.

I then bought a 4spd auto EB falcon, which was a bit better, but not much, after that I got one with a 5spd manual, this was by far the best and most responsive to drive, Autos feel spongy when you kick the back end out and no matter how well you know them theres still the everpresent danger of it not doing what you want when you need it to most, like changin down in the middle of a corner and the like.

they also make people lazy, I know people over here who have no concept of how to drive a manual, there are probably posters in the states who know the same types, these people should not hold driving licences, if you cant at least pass yer test in a manual you dont know how to drive, you obviously dont understand whats happenin in the vehicle yer meant to be controlin, and therefore cant drive.

Advertisement