Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM overclocking. Better result with 2t command rate?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I was advised that I should go to 2t with my memory cause I will supposedly get faster results in oc'ing (ram frequency)... and maybe more on CPU.. Now right now, due to my CPU overclock, im stuck with my ram frequency at only 196Mhz with 2.5-3-3-7 1t (2.85v required for timings....). Oh yeah and on ddr333.

Now if I was to set 2t command rate and pop the timings back to stock, would I be able to achieve around 240mhz? (which is about what i'll get with ddr400)? and if so would it make up for the performance loss using 2t?

So first of all is it better for me to go with 2t and will I get better memory performance in the end? If so then what do you think about what I am thinking of doing (middle paragraph)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Is your ram PC2700 or PC3200 ram? different to your sig?

How many sticks?
    Relax your tCMD. You won't lose a whole lot [if any] of performance over what you already have.
    Suck it and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

It's 2GB (2 sticks) PC3200. Corsair XMS 2048-3200. Stock timings are 3-3-3-8 and 200mhz.

I think I will try it then. Still around for more opinions on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have never used 1t for overlcocking, you always need to loosen to 2t.

Yeah well I managed to get 2.5-3-3-6 timings (on 196mhz). Would I gain much performance going up to 240MHz and 3-4-4-8?

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here, but i dont think you understand memory timings fully, do you?

BEst thing to do is to look it up in wiki or similar.

But to answer your question, there are advantages, and disadvantages to loosening the timings.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here, but i dont think you understand memory timings fully, do you?
    Nope. Not one bit.

Anyway I tried to get 240mhz now and failed so I am just gonna stick with what im at.

By the way can I ask have you hit the limit with that Opty, or is it just temps? I have heard the 170's reach 3GHz easy. I regret not getting one over my x2 4800....

Nah not hit the limit yet. but its getting hard to go over 2.85, temps are still under 50c load. But i have a load of watercooling gear to go into it, but im just to lazy.

Yeah I'm seriously considering getting an Opty 170 now that I know their potential... I saw someone even with the same mb as me at 2.92GHz...

I think im gonna hunt for one (only best stepping), hopefully I can find one dirt cheap. New I see they're around 200eu, but I would only want one with a sure good stepping...

cbble and cbbwe are the ones to get. Scan.co.uk sell them for cheap. but there are some on ebay too, but id prefere ot buy a new one. when considering most of them have been hugely overclocked from the day they were installed.

I would also prefer a new one, but I think there is too much of a risk of getting a stupid stepping, which is the last thing I want. I found a few ccbbe ones on ebay and i have heard they're good. Up for almost the same price as a new one though, but it may be worth it if i get a high OC out of it.... Havent seen any cbble or ccbwe though. You say I may have a good chance of getting one from scan.co.uk?

• Advertisement

Thats where i got my ccbbe. only 120£ too, was a error on the site.

If its the wrong stepping just rma it :)

Yeah I think I will order one then. Don't want to have to go through the hassle of returning it though, cause I just sent my Tuniq off for rma so my PC is already out of action for at least a week already:rolleyes:

Best scenario: I recieve a 'ccbbe' Opty 170 before my replacement tuniq arrives:) Some good luck for once??:rolleyes:

Knowing your luck, i very much doubt it. Will probably be a opty that cant go over 2.2ghz :D

Just this once! Thats all I ask! :p

Just to piss you off i will post this :p

285ghzhb3.jpg

ignore the 1.66v for the cpu, my board is readig wrong. its actualy 1.489

Well it worked :mad:

What stepping exactly do you have? Is it a ccbbe 0615?

I actually found someone selling a brand new ccbbe 0610! Meant to be one of the very best! I was gonna get it but couldnt get the money together in time!!!!!!!! I'm gutted!!

I can however get a 0615. Just wondering if thats the one you have.

my exact stepping is a CCBBE 0615dpmw (eng sample afaik ) 1455511d60318

Just got 2.95 stable tonight, happy days :D

Ooh nice one! What voltage do you need for 2.95?

I think I will never ever have a chance at 3GHz, or even 2.95 cause of my stupid motherboards (or bios version more so) max voltage at 1.5v...
    Unless I got that 0610....:( ... They can do over 2.8GHz at stock volts!!! Man im unlucky....

i use 1.55volts. with a vdroop of 0.08 so its actually 1.48v

Oh right then my motherboards the opposite... Whatever vcore I set it raises usually up .02,03...

For example right now even though I set it to 1.48 in the bios, it reads 1.50-.52.

• Advertisement
Advertisement