Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia in CTN

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Darkbloom wrote:
    Penis is the clinical term, like we can (surely) use vagina on here, but not c**t.

'Clinical term'! That sounds so serious!

"Sir, I'm afraid you have...penis."

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Heh, I mean it's what doctors use. I mean, I wouldn't go into a doctor's office, get up onto the table and go "I want you to examine my c**t please."

Yeah, you're right. I just expected it to have been blocked out on boards for some reason!

I think I'll finish off every post with it from now on.

Penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ninjawombat

I'm not gonna write a book, partly because I couldn't be bothered and partly because I don't think I could if I wanted to. :p Not that smart, folks.

But the bottom line appears to be this;
    -fag is a slang word, used in everyday life by lots of people.
    - fag is also a word that *some* people take offence to. Not *all* but *some*.

So, let me put this to you... If I arrived into college wearing only a bra and knickers, would everyone take offence? I'm guessing not... (no reflection on how ridiculously attractive I am, of course, I'm just using myself as an example) BUT - some people would. Namely, college security. Ha! And others, I'm guessing. Because there's a time and a place for getting next to nekkid, and college is not that place. Not everyone wants to see me in my knickers. Of course, I strolled into a nightclub in my knickers last Tuesday and nobody said anything, because it was a themed night and so the knickers were in context, so to speak.

Now, we use the South Park example from above to illustrate my next point. If Cartman turned around - as he does - and called half the damn cast 'fags' in the space of ten minutes, nobody would object. Why? Because that's the show. That's the *theme* of the show - comedy that gets a little offensive and a little OTT. Therefore, anyone who *does* watch it and then voice an objection because "Oh, Cartman said fag!!" deserves a kick in the teeth.

BUT. That kick in the teeth goes both ways. There is a time and a place for that kind of humour and that kind of language. And CTN shows of that nature are neither the time nor the place. There are people who would take offence, and while they can *choose* not to watch South Park, they don't have to put up with that in a situation where it's not "accepted". And yeah, CTN should be called on it, they should apologise for it, and then everyone should move on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Like that granny getting kicked in the face in Hot Fuzz was funny, but if it happened on the street (granted, she wouldn't be shooting at Simon Pegg - whose birthday is Valentines Day, by the way - on the street, in all likelihood) it would be completely out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭astfgl

doesn't freedom of speech mean you can say whatever you want?
    so what if he said "fag", if gay people can say it, straight people should have no problem with saying it either (see "Will & Grace")
    and if you look at it in context, saying "i'll look like a fag" isn't an insult directed at gays, but merely a defensive pitch made by some-one insecure in their sexuality (i could wear something that would make me look like a "fag", but i'm damn sure people would know i wasn't just by my demeanour cause i'm secure in my sexuality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ninjawombat

But freedom of speech needs to be seen in context. I mean, I'm new to the boards, but I'm pretty sure there are certain expressions I can't use in a public forum. And that's because, in certain environments, you have to control the content of what's said and done so it doesn't offend people unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think it really is all about context. I would use the word fag just like the word dick, but not mean in it the sense that someone or something was gay, just a general negative.

It is common enough to hear someone talk about a irritating or misfortunate situation and go "that is so gay" or "thats bent". I don't think they're thinking about homosexuality when they say that. It's just a phrase that seems to have entered the vernacular. I did once accidently say "thats so gay" while in the presence of a gay friend, before correcting myself by saying to him "you know, the bad gay... not the good gay" in a slightly sheepish tone... he burst out laughing, clearly seeing the humorous side.

Context, context, context.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

astfgl wrote:
    so what if he said "fag", if gay people can say it, straight people should have no problem with saying it either (see "Will & Grace")
    and if you look at it in context, saying "i'll look like a fag" isn't an insult directed at gays, but merely a defensive pitch made by some-one insecure in their sexuality (i could wear something that would make me look like a "fag", but i'm damn sure people would know i wasn't just by my demeanour cause i'm secure in my sexuality)
    1. freedom in speech in Ireland is very limited, namely to public order and morality.

2. we have legislation against discrimination and inciting hate.

'fag' is far from protected.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

astfgl wrote:
    Freedom of speech would mean you could say whatever you want. But that's only if freedom of speech actually existed. I don't know of one place, online or offline where freedom of speech reigns absolute. Local laws, customs and etiquette always limit the so-called freedom of speech.
    So, let me put this to you... If I arrived into college wearing only a bra and knickers, would everyone take offence? I'm guessing not... (no reflection on how ridiculously attractive I am, of course, I'm just using myself as an example) BUT - some people would. Namely, college security. Ha! And others, I'm guessing. Because there's a time and a place for getting next to nekkid, and college is not that place. Not everyone wants to see me in my knickers. Of course, I strolled into a nightclub in my knickers last Tuesday and nobody said anything, because it was a themed night and so the knickers were in context, so to speak.
    Excellent point. You really got abreast of student issues there and illustrated it well, almost in ditty format.
    Proceed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If you want to talk context, has anyone seen the unedited episode. Doubt anyone has it?

Who said i dont want to look like a fag [sic]?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Semantics = really, really dull reading.

Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

Pantsless wrote:
    Jesus Don . Obviously blinding by your love for CTN (and general spokesman for your station) you actually believe that says " im not wearing that i'll look like a fag" isnt homophobic? How about ...... let see.... for the sake of this example... "i cant wear that ill look like a black" . Same thing no?

At the end of the day it was used in a derogatary (sp?) term refering to the homosexual community. CTN really needs to cop the **** on

all the racial slurs are edited out from my show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I personally think there's nothing wrong with the 'slur' but don't think it should be on tv, and CTN seem to have edited it out, so no problem as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Randomeress

I'd love to know what was actually said... the article said that CTN had now edited it out, so I supose the only ppl who know are whoever wrote the thing in the paper. I get why they couldn't repeat it in the article though.

i would personally like to thank the observer for bring attention on to the show and giving us free publicity.

So what you're saying is CTN go around making bigoted remarks in order to get free publicity?

That's a fairly serious confession to be making on a public board.

There's definitely nothing admirable about it anyway, I mean, if it was some kind of subversive television maybe, but, fashion shows etc? That's a very poor advertising plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

So what you're saying is CTN go around making bigoted remarks in order to get free publicity?

There's definitely nothing admirable about it anyway, I mean, if it was some kind of subversive television maybe, but, fashion shows etc? That's a very poor advertising plan.

Well it worked for Big Brother so it should work for ctn as well. CTN ratings have gone up by 100% i hear since the slur, so there is now at least 2 people watching.

it wasnt a plan. it just conveintly happened. the guy who said it didnt even remember saying it.

panda100 wrote:
    Well it worked for Big Brother so it should work for ctn as well. CTN ratings have gone up by 100% i hear since the slur, so there is now at least 2 people watching.

i've told one of the shows ahas been viewed 200 time son the internet link. my show get be watch though. something wrong with the file. but alot of people have seen it though around campus. 3 times it has been played on big screens with 300+ people watching it.
    at least CTN is able to be viewed outside UCD, but the observer can be gotten on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Dontico wrote:
    it wasnt a plan. it just conveintly happened. the guy who said it didnt even remember saying it.

Huh? The show lists the guy who said it as also being the producer of the show, I'd imagine that he would have also been very involved in the editing so. Since the piece was edited, and left in the final cut, how exactly did he not remember saying it after putting it in to the film?

If you really are thankfull for the "publicity" that has come from this 'scandal' then it says a lot about CTN, which so far gives the impression of being a clique of people hoping for attention and craving some sort of celebrity status on campus, then making a popular and entertaining campus wide station with any sort of creative worth.

Well I watched the show, God Blaine Broomfield is a total gobshite. I thought it was stupid and cliquy the way you were put into the show Don.

But I thought the camera and product and the idea good. But Paul made a terrible impression on me, though I thought the other presenter fairly good.

All in all Id give the programme 6/10 (bearing in mind its a student production).

Tell me Don, which one of them made the fag comment?

i didnt ask nor was i asked to be on the show. i was just standing there and paul started talking to me and a camera appeared. it was completely random i was there.

recently we've decided to stop putting other CTN on shows they are not directly involved with.

one fuction of TV stations is to grab attention. the function of saying anything is to grab attention. except for people with mental illness who cannot help it.

3rd time lucky, who said the fag comment and what was the context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm not sure, but believe that it was one of the two presenters, not the oddly dressed one who'se picture is shown on this thread, but rather the other one who was wearing a white polo shirt with a massive collar. Something was held up to him, he said "I'm not wearing that, I'd look like a fag".
    However, I never actually saw the clip so, that's just what I was told. I'm sure someone on here would have seen it and could clarify?

Dontico wrote:
    one fuction of TV stations is to grab attention. the function of saying anything is to grab attention. except for people with mental illness who cannot help it.

I'd question the accuracy of that statement.

I'd question the accuracy of that statement.

there are mental illnesses were person talks to themselves. thus doesnt need someone to pay attention to them to hear what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Dontico wrote:
    the function of saying anything is to grab attention. except for people with mental illness who cannot help it.

I think what he was trying to say is that that statement is hideously hideously stupid. Speaking is first and foremost a means of communication and people with something worth saying are more concerned with their point being communicated than getting attention themselves.

humbert wrote:
    I think what he was trying to say is that that statement is hideously hideously stupid. Speaking is first and foremost a means of communication and people with something worth saying are more concerned with their point being communicated than getting attention themselves.

inorder to communicate and get your point across., you need someone to pay attention to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dontico wrote:
    inorder to communicate and get your point across., you need someone to pay attention to you.

was there a point to slick other than the yellow trouser guy spanking himself in the TV?

Advertisement